Trade Mark Buehrle to...

WHITESOXRANDY

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cardinals would love Buehrle.

Dave Duncan believes he can fix what ails him.

They don't have a lefty because Mulder is out the door.

And they know Buehrle wants to be a Cardinal.

Problem is, Cardinals don't have jack to offer.

Reyes?

He's had health issues.

Wainright?

Please

Eckstein?

Maybe if he's packaged with several others.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 09:06 PM)
Cardinals would love Buehrle.

Dave Duncan believes he can fix what ails him.

They don't have a lefty because Mulder is out the door.

And they know Buehrle wants to be a Cardinal.

Problem is, Cardinals don't have jack to offer.

Reyes?

He's had health issues.

Wainright?

Please

Eckstein?

Maybe if he's packaged with several others.

You don't want Wainwright, who is a very good young pitcher. However, you're interested in Eckstein? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

IMO, Buerhle's trade value is lower now than it has been since he became a starter. There is no guarantee he can bounce back, and if he can, you have to give him a boatload of money to re-sign. If his value is as high as some people here think, the Sox would be crazy not to move him. Of course, I'm for moving at least 2 starters, maybe even 3. I think it could set the Sox up for a long run of contention.

I will be back on the Buehrle bandwagon as soon as someone can tell me a tangible reason as to why I can expect better performance next season. "Just look at what he's done over his career" is not a tangible reason.

On the other hand, I don't think there's a tangible reason as to why he was so bad this season. He had terrible location all year but that's a symptom and not a cause.

As far as your sig, Flash:

( tampax-box_satin.gif + 200.jpg ) x crying-baby.gif / mini-choking_man44.jpg = 05-mark-buehrle-studio-sm.jpg

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 05:51 PM)
I will be back on the Buehrle bandwagon as soon as someone can tell me a tangible reason as to why I can expect better performance next season. "Just look at what he's done over his career" is not a tangible reason.

On the other hand, I don't think there's a tangible reason as to why he was so bad this season. He had terrible location all year but that's a symptom and not a cause.

As far as your sig, Flash:

( tampax-box_satin.gif + 200.jpg ) x crying-baby.gif / mini-choking_man44.jpg = 05-mark-buehrle-studio-sm.jpg

so, you throw away 5 years of good for one year of bad? I say he deserves a chance to cure what ails him before we go about shipping him off. He doesn't throw hard and he doesn't put a lot of strain on his arm with wicked curves or screwballs. If he starts slowly next year...maybe ship him out before the trading deadine. But, he has done enough with the White Sox to give him time to sort himself out.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 08:11 PM)
The Sox won't trade the face of the franchise.

Expect a long term deal to be worked out in the offseason.

I hope so as well. Plus, beautiful sig. I think its time to work on a Broadway sig for myself as well :)

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)
so, you throw away 5 years of good for one year of bad? I say he deserves a chance to cure what ails him before we go about shipping him off. He doesn't throw hard and he doesn't put a lot of strain on his arm with wicked curves or screwballs. If he starts slowly next year...maybe ship him out before the trading deadine. But, he has done enough with the White Sox to give him time to sort himself out.

If Buehrle even starts for the Sox next season without a contract extention then the Sox are screwed. Only a few things could come of that.

1.) He could suck for the start of the season and kill all trade value he has, which would completely kill the Sox for '08 and beyond.

2.) He could pitch well which would only increase his value making any long term contract extension much more expensive than it would be over this offeason comming off a horrible year.

It makes no sense to go into the season with a lameduck Buehrle. Having him start the season then trading him after say the first 2 months if he pitches poorly would be a horrible move, his value would be nothing and the Sox would be fried. If you can't lock him up to an extension this offseason he needs to be traded by opening day.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)
The Sox won't trade the face of the franchise.

No, but they have let him walk in free agency for no compensation.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
I understand the reasons why St. Louis wouldn't want to do this, but some of those same reasons apply to why they would do it. Yes, they're losing their entire starting staff...but they're losing their entire starting staff! Aside from Carpenter, they really don't have anyone in their rotation. So if they want to shoot for the division next year...they can either hope that all of their young guys progress, or they can pick up a veteran wearing a ring.

I believe that Jim Edmonds and his $12m. salary also come off their books this year, IIRC.

They already got f'd sacrificing a good young pitcher (and then some) for a proven veteran. Now we're gonna get both of their promising young starters, each of which may be able to start next year, for one Buehrle? I don't see it.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
Remember if you trade Mark Buehrle, next season you will most likely have 5 RHP's in your rotation, and that can't be good when you have the likes of Justin Morneau and Travis Hafner in your division.

And Joe Mauer.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
Remember if you trade Mark Buehrle, next season you will most likely have 5 RHP's in your rotation, and that can't be good when you have the likes of Justin Morneau and Travis Hafner in your division.

You can't base your decision on whether or not to maintain a starter because of several good left handed hitters.

Kalapse's comments several posts ago are all points I completely agree with.

If Williams can't negotiate a fair deal for an extension OR trade him, I'll be extremely disappointed. It'll once again affirm my position he doesn't know squat about assessing a players value, and when it may be a good time to sell. Business preceds ticket sales here.

Sure, regarding prospects he has the right idea. Sell high. I just don't know why the same practice can't be applied to any of our players. And it's not just selling high for anyone; but doing so when a situation is available (such as McCarthy last season) where it's possible to improve immediately AND build for the future.

This is what happens with "Winning Now" philosophies. Prospects are traded for veterans, and when the veterans become either too expensive or ineffective no one is available to replace them. How this applies to Buehlre, a home-grown product, involves our "win-now" attitude towards the acquisition of MacDougal. Wouldn't it be dandy if Lumsden pitches for the Royals in 2008 right when Buehrle leaves? Sure would have been nice having that safety net available. And I realize MacDougal has pitched well and remains under our control for awhile. It's just ridiculous what we gave up for an oft-injured relief pitcher....TO A DIVISION RIVAL. Jim Hendry gives teams within his division crap. Williams gives his companions top pitching prospects.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

If we ever do trade Mark I hope it's too St. Louis as a favor to Mark.

That said ... why get rid of another of our most popular players?

Fans love this guy. I was back in Chicago and saw Buehrle jerseys all over the place.

Isn't he our new Frank Thomas?

He was Mr. Home Run ball though the second half. Hope he rests up a couple months.

Does anybody know what pitchers do in offseason? Do they still pitch on the side or shut it down til February??

I agree with Flash and Kalapse, if MB can't be extended we can't let him walk for nothing seeing how draft pick compensation might not be part of the cba.

I'd deal MB to the cards for Reyes + Wainwright / Bryan Anderson©