Was our best starting pitcher in the bullpen all year ?

WHITESOXRANDY

I think that if McCarthy would have pitched the entire season in the rotation, he would have had the best season of any of our starters.

Maybe that's hindsight talking but that might have been the difference between being in the post-season and watching it.

What if KW had traded one of our starters at the deadline for relief help and inserted BMAC in the rotation ? Would we have made the playoffs ?

Man, he looked EXCELLENT last nite. and just yesterday some of us were talking of trading him if the right deal came along (myself included)

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)
Is this thread serious? Best starting pitcher BASED OFF OF 1 F'IN START?

I think he means in comparison to other starts. McCarthy looked dominant .....

don't think he would have been our best starter -- but he didn't need to be.

He could have been one of our best FIVE starters.

Then we could have traded one of the others for either a LF or some bullpen arms.

BMac was wasted this season. He didn't want to pitch out of the pen -- and he wasn't very good doing it.

Sad, but true.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
Man, he looked EXCELLENT last nite. and just yesterday some of us were talking of trading him if the right deal came along (myself included)

I think he means in comparison to other starts. McCarthy looked dominant .....

Garcia looked a hell of a lot better than McCarthy did about 2-3 weeks ago. And then again his next start. And Vazquez has been very good since August(it's not his fault the offense can't score(INHFTOCS))

I have a feeling that will not catch on quite like MBINAA

My personal feeling is when they traded El Duque for Vazquez in spring training, they never intended for Vazquez to pitch one inning this year in a Sox uni. I think they acquired him with the intention of finding someone stupid enough to take on his fat contract and making B-Mac the 5th starter.

QUOTE(GaelicSoxFan @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
My personal feeling is when they traded El Duque for Vazquez in spring training, they never intended for Vazquez to pitch one inning this year in a Sox uni. I think they acquired him with the intention of finding someone stupid enough to take on his fat contract and making B-Mac the 5th starter.

im not going to lie, your logic sux.

QUOTE(GaelicSoxFan @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)

how about no

KW has had a mancrush on Vazquez since his Montreal days. KW acquired Vazquez to put him in the rotation.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 05:26 PM)
Bmac should host his own radio, tv show.

He should run for office.

Never has a guy done so little and gotten so much praise.

I mean I hope he does well, but man, the manlove.

That's exactly my problem with him. He gets too much credit for doing a whole lot of nothing. Reminds me of Kerry Wood up until last year.

He gets more praise than Garland for gawdsakes.

BMac ought to pitch so loose next year. For whatever he does if he fails people will blame Oz for misusing

him even though it was KW who acquired an extra starter forcing BMac to the pen.

I hope we keep Fred and trad Mr. Six inning but I realize I'm in the minority there and Fred will be the one to go.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 11:08 PM)
He gets more praise than Garland for gawdsakes.

BMac ought to pitch so loose next year. For whatever he does if he fails people will blame Oz for misusing

him even though it was KW who acquired an extra starter forcing BMac to the pen.

I hope we keep Fred and trad Mr. Six inning but I realize I'm in the minority there and Fred will be the one to go.

Except that McCarthy was misused this year, by both Ozzie and KW. There really was no need for Vazquez going into the year, but KW brought him in as more of a luxury(and I think that luxury will be really nice come next year). He was misused by Ozzie because he was supposed to act as a swingman, doing anything and everything the team needed out of the pen. Ozzie seemed to view him as a middle reliever that could work 3 innings, seeing as how he got 2 starts all year long, when really he should have made 6-7. After Buehrle had 3 horrible starts in a row in July, put him in.

EDIT: Let it be known, McCarthy didn't pitch well out of the bullpen, and he deserves all the blame for that. He is better suited to start though, as he's been starting all his life. Add into the fact that he just does not have good stuff for a bullpen pitcher, and you have your reasons/excuses as to why he was not very good out of the pen this year.

And I still don't think either Garcia or Vazquez are gone next year, but that's mainly me speculating that KW won't trade Garcia or Vazquez while their values are low as hell, while Contreras's is still relatively high, considering he has more years left on his contract and he was still quite solid throughout the year with good stats in the end. The only variable working against him is age, but seeing as how he's been rather durable other than his freak sciatic nerve pull, it looks like a guarantee that he'll live out his contract and still be relatively productive towards the end.

Edited by witesoxfan

The McCarthy boners will subside when next season comes around and he is mediocre.Then these same people will exaggerate about how bad he is and we should have traded him when we had the chance to get something.

Maybe, but it will take a long while before people stop blaming Ozzie and KW.

We definitely need to trade one of our starters and let him start.

I wouldn't mind trading two and getting another lefty starter as well.

Do you guys think Mark Redman is a stiff? Again, he is a free agent and won 11

of KC's games. Not bad for such a crap team.

Detroit made a masterful move getting an old guy lefty like Rodgers.

Rotation

Mark B

Jon

Brandon

Fred/Vas (other one traded)

Redman or Moyer

trade Jose (I like Jose)

Trading Fred or Vas and Jose for some stud middle relievers and/or leftfielder.

QUOTE(shipps @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 03:46 AM)
The McCarthy boners will subside when next season comes around and he is mediocre.Then these same people will exaggerate about how bad he is and we should have traded him when we had the chance to get something.

OR people like you will realize what kind of talent he really is and start saying stuff like "where was that change up all of last year?" Brandon is going to be very good next year, book it.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
Maybe, but it will take a long while before people stop blaming Ozzie and KW.

We definitely need to trade one of our starters and let him start.

I wouldn't mind trading two and getting another lefty starter as well.

Do you guys think Mark Redman is a stiff? Again, he is a free agent and won 11

of KC's games. Not bad for such a crap team.

Detroit made a masterful move getting an old guy lefty like Rodgers.

Rotation

Mark B

Jon

Brandon

Fred/Vas (other one traded)

Redman or Moyer

trade Jose (I like Jose)

Trading Fred or Vas and Jose for some stud middle relievers and/or leftfielder.

Mark Redman blows and Jamie Moyer hasn't had that great of a year since 2003. I'd rather have Haeger start compared to either of those two and I want Haeger off this team come next year.

Edited by Rowand44