What should the 2007 White Sox be?

GreatScott82

Okay everyone has been saying we need a new leadoff hitter, a better bullpen, more grinders, more balance, better starters, etc....

With all of these posts going on latley, i decided a new topic to see what each of you guys would do to make the 2007 a championship caliber team again.

Put together your 25 man roster. Be realistic, what should KW do?!?

My 25 man roster:

Starting Lineup:

Rollins SS (for Garcia and Uribe)

Crawford LF (for McCarthy and Sweeney)

Dye RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Iguchi 2B

Pierzynski C

Crede 3B

Anderson CF

Bench

Gload 1B, Cintron INF, Ozuna Inf/OF, Stewart C, Mackowiack OF/3B

Starting Rotation:

Contreras

Garland

Buerhle

Vazquez

Mussina/Pettite (sign via free agency)

Bullpen:

Jenks, Thorton, Macdougle, Cotts(innings eater),Chad Bradford (via free agency), Roberto Hernandez (via free agency)

I think if KW can do something along those lines we'll be okay!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would the Phils let Rollins go?

Not everybody trades integral parts of Series teams like we foolishly did

with glue guy Rowand.

Should we take a chance and sign Redman of the Royals. He had 11 of their 50 wins.

Not too bad when you think bout it?

Another lefty? Cheap?? How bout it.

Edited by greg775

Jimmy Rollins for Garcia and Uribe is not realistic.

I would trade 2 of Vazquez/Garcia/Buehrle. See who brings the most back. If it's all the same, Buehrle would be the first to go.

I would then sign Soriano for LF in hopes of offsetting possible down years from Thome/Dye/Konerko/Crede.

If Juan Pierre is available and we still have money left over, then sign him up too. Basically we have to improve two from the LF/CF/SS deathspots. I don't think there's a realistic upgrade for SS (hope we stay away from Lugo).

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 06:09 PM)
Jimmy Rollins for Garcia and Uribe is not realistic.

I would trade 2 of Vazquez/Garcia/Buehrle. See who brings the most back. If it's all the same, Buehrle would be the first to go.

I would then sign Soriano for LF in hopes of offsetting possible down years from Thome/Dye/Konerko/Crede.

If Juan Pierre is available and we still have money left over, then sign him up too. Basically we have to improve two from the LF/CF/SS deathspots. I don't think there's a realistic upgrade for SS (hope we stay away from Lugo).

1.) It looks like Soriano will only speak to teams that will allow him to play 2B next season he does not want to play the OF anymore.

2.) Lets just say the Sox did sign both Pierre and Soriano and stuck Soriano in LF and Pierre in CF. That would basically be the worst defensive outfield in baseball, you'd see a ridiculous amount of balls dropping especially in the gaps.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 06:23 PM)
1.) It looks like Soriano will only speak to teams that will allow him to play 2B next season he does not want to play the OF anymore.

2.) Lets just say the Sox did sign both Pierre and Soriano and stuck Soriano in LF and Pierre in CF. That would basically be the worst defensive outfield in baseball, you'd see a ridiculous amount of balls dropping especially in the gaps.

Dan Plesac raved about Pierre's OF defense yesterday in the final Cubs post-game show of the season on Comcast. I don't think Plesac's blowing smoke up his ass, especially since it seems as if Pierre won't be with the Cubs next season. He's got no arm, but his poor range is exaggerated, imo.

By the way, I would have no problem with signing Soriano to play 2B and getting rid of Iguchi. We can easily sign a stopgap for LF until Sweeney/Fields are ready to contribute (I'd even go with Gonzo in that case). We have nothing remotely close at 2B.

Edited by Frankensteiner

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 06:23 PM)

Much worse than Podsednik in LF and Mackowiak in CF?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 08:45 PM)
Much worse than Podsednik in LF and Mackowiak in CF?

About equal maybe a little better of course the combination of Podsednik/Mackowiak is epically horrid and unmatched league wide. I just wish this team could have one full season with an excellent defensive outfield Jermaine Dye and Brian Anderson is a good start.

I wouldn't worry about Crede. It sounds like he's a gamer who has played in a lotta pain already.

Now if you are talking Mike Sweeney's back ... that's a different story.

Somebody figured out he earned 200,000 bucks a game this year, he missed so many.

Edited by greg775

KW needs to petition MLB to move the Sox to another division. Next years AL Central will be stacked. Detroit may drop off a bit, but Cleveland and Minnesota are young and getting better. KC is still a fraud , but even they are improving.

Sox need to get younger to stay out of 3rd/4th place finish. My suggestion for trade bait, besides 2 of the starters, is Dye. Don't hang me yet, but he had a career year and his value will never be greater. Dye is not that far away from DHing.

Edited by wallyburger

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)
Nobody has thought of it, but maybe we should think of moving Iguchi at some point. He has high value.

He is still pretty cheap for 2007 if I recall. Plus I am not sure who you replace him with (I am sure some will say Soriano). Do we have any MLB-material secondbasemen in the wings in the minors?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 09:45 AM)
He is still pretty cheap for 2007 if I recall. Plus I am not sure who you replace him with (I am sure some will say Soriano). Do we have any MLB-material secondbasemen in the wings in the minors?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Seriously, it's rather baron across the infield.

This is going to be an incredibly challenging offseason for Kenny. His chances of making a move that turns out to be a bust are about 100%. If he trades Garcia, as expected, "Big Game" could possibly pick up where he left off in September and return to form in 2007. Same story for all the starters...can anyone predict who will be good next year and who will be lousy?

I'd like to see Crawford for Pods. Dye should stay.

I dont see any chance of the Sox going after Soriano and I really dont think it would be a good idea. Actually the only way I see them aquiring any big names would be via trade and not free agency. I also dont think it would be a good idea to trade BMac. I really wish I got an opportunity to see him get some starts to know if he is gona be as good as his hype but Im not gonna base anything off him coming out of the pen, normally with runners on. MB seems like an easy candidate for a trade packaged with something because he porbably is gonna be gone after next year anyway. Im still not that thrilled about Garcia and Vasquez despite their late season heroics. If theyre gonna throw money at anybody it should be the best starting pitcher they could get. If this staff had an ace I think it would take a lot of pressure off the other guys. Then they can trade one or two of their pitchers for an outfielder/shortstop and whatever else they want to bring in.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 07:34 AM)
Nobody has thought of it, but maybe we should think of moving Iguchi at some point. He has high value.

I've thought of it for one simple reason...he's a Free Agent at the end of this year.

He is cheap, so he does have value, but I've gotten the impression from watching the last couple years that while people who watch teams intently realize the value of a good 2 hole hitter...a lot of times their stats don't go up enough to make other teams realize their value.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
I've thought of it for one simple reason...he's a Free Agent at the end of this year.

He is cheap, so he does have value, but I've gotten the impression from watching the last couple years that while people who watch teams intently realize the value of a good 2 hole hitter...a lot of times their stats don't go up enough to make other teams realize their value.

Our best 2-hole hitter is actually Ross Gload, by a LONG SHOT. High-average, lefty, very low strike out totals, can bunt. Hits both lefties and righties. About as much power as Iguchi. Problem is, he doesn't have a position to play.

Iguchi strikes out way too much to be a good 2-hitter. Plus, for most of the year, he totally sucked against lefties and couldn't hit at all on the road. The Sox need consistency out of that position, and Iguchi totally failed to deliver it. A lot of times he was just as bad as Uribe/Anderson/Pods, making a killer 4-out stretch in the lineup.

But what's really bizarre is that Ozzie thinks Iguchi is an "RBI man."