And Thats a White Sox Winner!

TLAK

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
I don't understand why people want to trade Freddy so badly.

Take a look around baseball. He's in the upper echelon, but we need to get rid

of him. Stupid.

Yeah I agree any pitcher who can go out and give you ERAs of 5.86, 5.72, 5.52 and 4.81 in 4 out of 6 months is pretty damn special.

Remember one thing with Garcia, he's in a very similar boat as Buehrle. Who here would be willing to give Freddy Garcia a long term contract extension right now? No one? Really? Yeah, no s***.

So the Sox would go into 2007 with Freddy Garcia being a free agent at the end of the season, that just does not work for me considering how much trade value he has right now which is quite a bit. Here's the choices:

1.) Trade Freddy Garcia over the offseason and get a fine package of prospect back in return

2.) Keep Freddy for 2007, have him pitch like s*** and watch him walk at the end of the year, the Sox get no compensaton for him/possibly a few draft picks.

3.) Keep Freddy for 2007, have him pitch well and give him a contract extension midseason for way more than you'd give him right now (not smart.

4.) Keep Freddy for 2007, have him pitch well and let him walk, Sox recieve no compensation/possibly a draft pick.

In other words, Freddy needs to go bye bye as soon as possible.

I think it's shortsighted to move Garcia. Same goes for Mark. I know they looked like s*** this year, but Greg is right: there is no available starting picthing in baseball. Now, maybe that means we could get more for him. But that means we could get more for anyone. I'm still waiting to see how many of our pitchers will need surgery this off season. Will Garcia be among them? Contreras? Cotts? It's tough for me to buy the Konerko theory of fatigue for the whole team, but for the pitching staff, it makes sense, especially for Freddy.

QUOTE(ExpatNYC @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 10:59 PM)
I think it's shortsighted to move Garcia. Same goes for Mark. I know they looked like s*** this year, but Greg is right: there is no available starting picthing in baseball. Now, maybe that means we could get more for him. But that means we could get more for anyone. I'm still waiting to see how many of our pitchers will need surgery this off season. Will Garcia be among them? Contreras? Cotts? It's tough for me to buy the Konerko theory of fatigue for the whole team, but for the pitching staff, it makes sense, especially for Freddy.

There's no good starting pitching available, so true. Luckily the Sox have what appears to be a pretty damn good starting pitcher sitting in the pen right now who is very young and very cheap. The lack of available good pitching only raises the trade value of guys like Buehrle and Garcia, to keep a Contreras/Garcia/Buehrle/Garland/Vazquez rotation in tact for another year would be shortsighted seeing how old this pitching staff is getting.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
I don't understand why people want to trade Freddy so badly.

Take a look around baseball. He's in the upper echelon, but we need to get rid

of him. Stupid.

He's pitched well in 3 of his last 4 starts. Big deal. We've been out of it for weeks now. When we needed him, like the rest of our rotation, he failed.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's pitched well in 3 of his last 4 starts. Big deal. We've been out of it for weeks now. When we needed him, like the rest of our rotation, he failed.

That's f***ing bulls***.

The Sox were still in before the Oakland series. We needed to win the Angels series and he nearly threw a perfect game during the rubber game.

We were further out, but still in it, when we played Detroit, and he threw another one hitter.

Garland and Vazquez also pitched great earlier in September, but the offensive wasn't there "when we needed them."

Edited by santo=dorf