Andy MacPhail Resigns

G&T

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 11:41 AM)
They pretty well ran Stone out at the crying of a couple of players, aren't those bridges pretty well burned?

When Stone was on with Murph last week for his usual meeting, they talked about Stone going out to dinner just a few days earlier with McDonough, and Stone said he is one of the few people he is still close to over there. Murph asked him about coming back to the Cubs in some capacity and Stone did not rule out anything.

After everything that has started happening, I would be shocked if Stone was not at least asked if he wanted to come back in some way. Whether Stone would accept whatever might have been offered is a different story.

QUOTE(G&T @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
When Stone was on with Murph last week for his usual meeting, they talked about Stone going out to dinner just a few days earlier with McDonough, and Stone said he is one of the few people he is still close to over there. Murph asked him about coming back to the Cubs in some capacity and Stone did not rule out anything.

After everything that has started happening, I would be shocked if Stone was not at least asked if he wanted to come back in some way. Whether Stone would accept whatever might have been offered is a different story.

Interesting. I hadn't heard that. If there is anywhere that Stone belongs, its in the Cubs front office.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
Interesting. I hadn't heard that. If there is anywhere that Stone belongs, its in the Cubs front office.

The worst thing in the world for Sox fans would be a good baseball mind in the Cubs front office.

Bolded to accentuate the green.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)

It would make sense and it would be a great PR move. But it looks like Hendry is staying for now, so I don't know where Stone would fit in.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
The worst thing in the world for Sox fans would be a good baseball mind in the Cubs front office.

Shoot, can you imagine how interesting the "rivalry" would be in this town if both sides of town were actually putting GOOD teams on the field at the same time???

QUOTE(G&T @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
It would make sense and it would be a great PR move. But it looks like Hendry is staying for now, so I don't know where Stone would fit in.

I don't see Stone as a GM, but as a team President/VP anyway. This is a perfect fit for him if it all works out.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)

The last guy I remember coming out of the booth to take over a MLB GM job was Ken Harrelson. Remember how well that worked out?

QUOTE(TLAK @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 07:13 PM)
The last guy I remember coming out of the booth to take over a MLB GM job was Ken Harrelson. Remember how well that worked out?

Two completely different people altogether.

Stone's a lot less emotional and much more measured than Hawk.

If Stone wanted to generally manage, I think he'd do well.

He seems, from all indications, to want to be part of an ownership group, rather than GM or field manage.

QUOTE(GaelicSoxFan @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
I'm going to miss the clown sound effect that Mike Murphy uses when he refers to MacPhail as "Andy The Clown".

Andy the clown MacFail beep! beep!. Love Murph.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
Best sound effect of all time.

Although as a lifelong Sox fan, it does kinda irritate me when he defames the late Andy The Clown when he applies the name to that bozo who ran the team whose games appear on the Bozo Channel.