Amish School Shooting

WilliamTell

Wow. I thought this was going to be a joke when I saw the unlikely thread title.

:crying :crying

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
How many school shootings have there been in the last few weeks? Seems like every time I go by MSNBC or CNN "School shooting" is the breaking news.

A bearded drifter walks into a Colorado school and fatally shoots a student before taking his own life. Wisconsin authorities charge three boys with plotting a bomb attack on their high school and, two weeks later, a student in a rural school allegedly shoots his principal. A gunman bursts into a Vermont elementary school looking for his ex-girlfriend and guns down a teacher.

All of this in the past month alone.

Add today's incident and I think we are up to speed.

Not going to derail this thread, but I think that among many other societal problems, we have a gun control problem in this country, folks.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)
Wow. I thought this was going to be a joke when I saw the unlikely thread title.

:crying :crying

Add today's incident and I think we are up to speed.

Not going to derail this thread, but I think that among many other societal problems, we have a gun control problem in this country, folks.

I think we really have a problem with anger control in this country.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
Yep.

And... yep.

Hey SS2K5, can you work on that for us in MC? :P

Me and the wife are there are the front lines doing everything we can to connect with our youth. I mentioned it in my schoolboard thread, but some of the stories you hear from these kids are just heartbreaking. I can't really share too much because of confidentiality, but suffice to say things you think of as "can't/doesn't happen here" are often happening right next door, and all to often. I can't imagine living the lives of many people here, and it just tears you up when the youngest don't have a chance.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 12:36 PM)
I think we really have a problem with anger control in this country.

There are a lot of problems and it's not just in this country.

People are mostly **** everywhere you look.

Seems like no one ever has anyone else's interest in mind in almost any situation.

*Edited out nonsensical language filter mutation.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)

What's it matter at this point? Control or severly restrict the distribution of guns, you still have 200 million+ in America. Somone is intent on shooting another, and has the proper resources (money, contacts), they'll get their guns. Columbine still happens, as did nearly all the others we've seen with gun-control in effect.

It just seems to me to be a political talking point full of hot air. You can show statistics from countries with gun-control and suggest it's working, but I do believe it's a societal issue. Something we haven't even begun to quantify or fully explain. It's probably different on another level because there are actually words in our constitution which allows citizens to own guns. Not sure if other nations had such language present within theirs.

I recall reading several weeks ago that shooting deaths have actually increased since the clampdown on assault weapons. We heard about their dangers, and possibility of inflicting mass casualty, but as everyone knows, it's not going to solve anything. Atleast within a short period. In our nation of fast-food drive thrus and immediate service, people are not going to be patient when gun-control doesn't take an immediate effect.

Thread has officially been derailed. :D

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I just dont understand what it takes to motivate you to walk into a school, and just open fire on innocent people. Especially in the case of the guy who didnt even know anyone at the school. its just sick. Are school shootings the new way for people to try and get their points across?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
I just dont understand what it takes to motivate you to walk into a school, and just open fire on innocent people. Especially in the case of the guy who didnt even know anyone at the school. its just sick. Are school shootings the new way for people to try and get their points across?

Sounds like it was a copycat of the last week's sexually motivated shooting in CO.

Why people do it? I don't know, other than that they're sick f***s.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
As well as discipline.

I guess I don't know what this has to do with this school shooting. I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't understand. Crazy drifter comes into a school, takes little girls hostage and shoots a bunch of people.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
I guess I don't know what this has to do with this school shooting. I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't understand. Crazy drifter comes into a school, takes little girls hostage and shoots a bunch of people.

In most cases, it isn't a loony who walks in off of the street. It is a kid who has lost it from being picked on and no one wants to discipline either side of the situation. Columbine was a perfect example of kids getting picked on and then their (shooters) parents turning a blind eye to how angry and violent their kids were becoming.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
In most cases, it isn't a loony who walks in off of the street. It is a kid who has lost it from being picked on and no one wants to discipline either side of the situation. Columbine was a perfect example of kids getting picked on and then their (shooters) parents turning a blind eye to how angry and violent their kids were becoming.

I understand that point (and that it was made before the situation was made public). But I think discipline is really a secondary problem. The primary problem is that there appears to be such a low parental involvement in some of these cases.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)

Except Klebold and Harris weren't picked on as much as people may believe.

I recall a feature on The Discovery Channel where someone close with both families remarked Klebold was well liked. He had many friends outside of his group of "loners," The Trenchcoat Mafia.

I don't blame the parents either. Just think about growing up, and everything you did (or could have done) without them knowing. I snuck out of my house, late night, for two straight summers in high school without my parents knowing. Let's say I committed a violent crime -- immediately someone would probably ask, "where were his parents?" Some things you can't control or predict. Parents of the Columbine students may have known their children were violent. They may have been worried about their childrens involvement with crime (on a website someone was threatened), but even something as simple as checking someones room never occurs until afterwards. There wasn't exactly a school shooting on par with Columbine which would lead someone to believe such an act is possible.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
Me and the wife are there are the front lines doing everything we can to connect with our youth. I mentioned it in my schoolboard thread, but some of the stories you hear from these kids are just heartbreaking. I can't really share too much because of confidentiality, but suffice to say things you think of as "can't/doesn't happen here" are often happening right next door, and all to often. I can't imagine living the lives of many people here, and it just tears you up when the youngest don't have a chance.

Does Michigan City have the CASS program? I'm a mentor at VHS for CASS (Creating A Safer School) and it is a great program that seems to be working here.