Crede's new contract?

cuddlyboy26

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
You'd get laughed out of the room. Seriously. The numbers Crede has put up combined with his defense at 3B is worth a ton of money on the open market right now. If he doesn't get $10 mil annually from the Sox, he will get it somewhere else, I would bet money on it.

Any number Bora$$ gives would be laughable as well. Don't get me wrong, I love Joe Crede but he's not A-Rod and this was his first real yr at producing anything at the major league level. To expect to be paid 10 mil annually for one good yr is laughable.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Allsox @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
Any number Bora$$ gives would be laughable as well. Don't get me wrong, I love Joe Crede but he's not A-Rod and this was his first real yr at producing anything at the major league level. To expect to be paid 10 mil annually for one good yr is laughable.

So, is he at least 40% as valuable as ARod?

Boras does not want him to have the surgery as it would lower his value to other teams probably. Being that the White Sox wont sign him to a long term deal I understand Boras wanting to keep his value high to other teams. At the longest he will probably only be in Chicago 1 more year now, so Boras would want him to wait until atleast next off season when he is traded, and then signs a new contract to have the surgery.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
At his current performance level, he would get more than that each of those years just going through arbitration.

He'll get between 5.5 and 6.5 this year at Arb, and with another similar season would be worth around 8-9M in his final year of arb.

$10M/year is a little over his true (open market) value. That will fall in the area of 8.5-9M/yr.

3/24 is not a bad deal, but it would have to be all guaranteed.

6-8-10 sounds about right to me.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 05:21 PM)
No way would I pay Crede 5 years and 50 million.

We'd be better off just riding out next year with arbitration, go to arbitration the following year (2008) and trade him before that season.

Hopefully Fields would be ready for sure after next season.

I agree - I appreciate what Joe Crede has done for the team - just like I appreciate all Frank Thomas has done for the Sox but given that he has a bad back and has refused to have it fixed would not give him a long-term contract at the numbers you now Borass will be looking for!

:gosoxretro: :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 07:33 PM)
So, is he at least 40% as valuable as ARod?

A-Rod got 20 mil this yr so is Joe worth 8 mil? Maybe. But to start at 10 mil off the bat isn't really a good starting pt for negotiations since Jerry isn't as retarded as the Orioles Owner. I can live with a 3yr/24 mil guaranteed deal for Joe. 5 yrs, 50 mil? Um, no.

Edited by Allsox

QUOTE(cuddlyboy26 @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 11:53 PM)
That was probably before Crede saw the White Sox only wanted to sign him to another 1-year deal as they were anxious for Fields to take over however. That changes your perspective on things.

Please stop posting this it's just not true at all.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 08:40 PM)
During the season, didn't Joe basically say that he wouldn't let Boras keep him from playing where he wanted to play(Chicago)?

Magglio said the same type of stuff...

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 4, 2006 -> 02:15 AM)
Please stop posting this it's just not true at all.

Thank you. The Sox are moving Fields to another position to try to get his bat onto this team. Tell me exactly how they are trying to push Crede out of town, but teaching a guy still trying to learn 3B yet another position?

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Oct 4, 2006 -> 06:57 AM)
thats why he said "probably." come on, random speculation is all that this board has once the season is over.

Um bulls***, the "probably" was used to describe Crede's reaction to the Sox "desire to get rid of him in order to get Fields in the lineup." There is absolutely NO proof that the Sox even want to trade Crede let alone being eager to get him out of town like he/she has posted 10 times. Speculation is one thing, posting a falsehood as fact is another.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2006 -> 07:46 AM)
Magglio said the same type of stuff...

Thank you. The Sox are moving Fields to another position to try to get his bat onto this team. Tell me exactly how they are trying to push Crede out of town, but teaching a guy still trying to learn 3B yet another position?

Exactly.

Exactly I say "probably" since it is my opinion the White Sox are anxious to get rid of Crede as soon as possable. The reason for that is Josh Fields. That may not be next year mind you, it may be after next year. That is why he will only sign a 1-year deal if he signs.

Edited by cuddlyboy26

QUOTE(cuddlyboy26 @ Oct 4, 2006 -> 04:41 PM)
Exactly I say "probably" since it is my opinion the White Sox are anxious to get rid of Crede as soon as possable. That may not be next year mind you, it may be after next year. That is why he will only sign a 1-year deal if he signs.

Crede has no choice. He's Sox property for two more years. There's no "If he signs."

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 4, 2006 -> 05:42 PM)
Crede has no choice. He's Sox property for two more years. There's no "If he signs."

I know that but the White Sox can just not sign him and let him become a free agent before then. Given that they will probably want Josh Fields as their starting 3rd baseman no later then next year that should happen before the end of the next 2 years anyway.

Edited by cuddlyboy26

QUOTE(cuddlyboy26 @ Oct 4, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
I know that but the Red Sox can just not sign him and let him become a free agent before then. Given that they will probably want Josh Fields as their starting 3rd baseman no later then next year that should happen before the end of the next 2 years anyway.

Your a very confused little boy aren't you?

Sorry I was doing alot at once and it was a bad typo. When I said referring to White Sox losing possesion of Crede before 2008 ends though I meant is they might not re-sign him after his 1-year contract for 2007, and trade him to another team after 2007 making him their property for a year, but a free agent after 2008 likely.

QUOTE(cuddlyboy26 @ Oct 4, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
Sorry I was doing alot at once and it was a bad typo. When I said referring to White Sox losing possesion of Crede before 2008 ends though I meant is they might not re-sign him after his 1-year contract for 2007, and trade him to another team after 2007 making him their property for a year, but a free agent after 2008 likely.

He is under White Sox control until 2008. After the 2008 season, he can become a free agent.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 4, 2006 -> 08:02 PM)
He is under White Sox control until 2008. After the 2008 season, he can become a free agent.

If the White Sox refuse an arbitration price either this year, or next year though wouldnt he be a free agent?

Also if he was traded to a new team this year, signed a 1-year deal only, and chose not to resign after 2007 wouldnt he also be a free agent before the end of 2008 then?

QUOTE(cuddlyboy26 @ Oct 4, 2006 -> 08:04 PM)
If the White Sox refuse an arbitration price either this year, or next year though wouldnt he be a free agent?

Also if he was traded to a new team this year, signed a 1-year deal only, and chose not to resign after 2007 wouldnt he also be a free agent before the end of 2008 then?

No matter what he is under the control of the team he plays for through 2008. There is no refusing arbitration, he is under their control because he's still on his rookie contract. The only reason players sign the one year deals while under team control is to avoid arbitration. If he does not sign a long term or 1 year deal this offseason then he will go to arbitration. The White Sox will submit a price which they believe Crede to be worth and Boras will submit a number. A league arbitrator with review the case and chose one of the 2 dollar amounts that were submitted, Crede will then make that much for the 2007 season. After 2007 the same process will take place. 2008 is his final arbitration eligible year so after the '08 season he needs to re-sign with the White Sox via a new 1 year deal, a long term deal or they can go to arbitration to determine a 1 year deal for him, if the 2 sides can not come to an agreement on any of these 3 options then Crede will become a free agent.