As expected, Girardi out

greasywheels121

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 08:29 AM)
Terrible move. But even a worse move for him if he goes to the cubs.

When he gets his NL Manager of the year trophy, I would imagine he'll be able to pick whichever job opening he wants, so he can probably just wait around to see what situations are actually available.

Gammons is on BBTN this afternoon. Says there is more to Girardi's firing than what we know and read. Says Cubs aren't sold on him.

I think McDonough being promoted helps the Cubs get Girardi in their dugout personally.

BTW, Not sure of Gammons condition, but can't they comb his hair? he looks like his oldself except for that.

QUOTE(Brian @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
Gammons is on BBTN this afternoon. Says there is more to Girardi's firing than what we know and read. Says Cubs aren't sold on him.

I think McDonough being promoted helps the Cubs get Girardi in their dugout personally.

BTW, Not sure of Gammons condition, but can't they comb his hair? he looks like his oldself except for that.

You have two managers that are roughly the same age and are both former players.

One will throw his players under the bus or elevate them depending on what they did but will talk to them and explain what they did right or wrong and why he threw them under the bus. He manages a mixture of vets and rooks.

You have another who is trying to rule with an iron fist, managing like another great manager, but without the experience and rings. He manages a team of youngsters trying to learn how to win. And he did it, but he did it HIS way, right or wrong.

Sorry, but Girardi wasn't the right guy for the Marlins in the long haul. You can Torre it all you want, but that only works with vets. Torre is the Phil Jackson of baseball. Girardi is trying to do the same without truly talking to his players. Just do what he says. I would've put money on it that if the Marlins kept Girardi next year, they woulda taken a HUGE step back and he woulda been fired before the end of the season.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)
Really? If I'm him, I take a team with a large payroll and Zambrano, Hill, Lee, and (maybe) Ramirez over the Nats or the San Fran AARP.

But I do hope you're right.

But you also have to consider the history of management quality and decisions.

Dusty Baker is coming out of Chicago looking like a disaster, in part because of poor decisions above his head. Girardi can look at that system, see that Hendry is still there for several more years, and note that the new guy they stuck in there is another Tribune guy with no baseball experience, and he should immediately wonder whether or not the next set of deals is going to be any better.

On top of that, the Cubs minor league organization looks pretty bare right now, since a lot of its quality is now in Florida.

If Girardi could turn that around, he'd be a bit of a legend. But if he came in and failed, it could wind up being his last head coaching job for many years.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
Really? If I'm him, I take a team with a large payroll and Zambrano, Hill, Lee, and (maybe) Ramirez over the Nats or the San Fran AARP.

But I do hope you're right.

A team who basically is known for underachieving, who probably will lose its 3B, has a horrible starting rotation and an even worse middle infield. The outifield is completely bare, and the only real plus is the bullpen, which now has no closer.

If Girardi tried to manage a veteran team like he managed the Fish, they'd quit on him in a heartbeat.

Not sure if that says more about him or today's moneyed athletes.

Girardi just rubs me the wrong way for some reason - he has that Buck Showalter "I invented the game" stench to him.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 11:29 AM)
You have two managers that are roughly the same age and are both former players.

One will throw his players under the bus or elevate them depending on what they did but will talk to them and explain what they did right or wrong and why he threw them under the bus. He manages a mixture of vets and rooks.

You have another who is trying to rule with an iron fist, managing like another great manager, but without the experience and rings. He manages a team of youngsters trying to learn how to win. And he did it, but he did it HIS way, right or wrong.

Sorry, but Girardi wasn't the right guy for the Marlins in the long haul. You can Torre it all you want, but that only works with vets. Torre is the Phil Jackson of baseball. Girardi is trying to do the same without truly talking to his players. Just do what he says. I would've put money on it that if the Marlins kept Girardi next year, they woulda taken a HUGE step back and he woulda been fired before the end of the season.

Agreed Girardi isn't the alpha and omega that is the Florida Marlins, its all about Beinfest + Fleming. the marlins won before with out Girardi and they will do it again.

Joe wanted both Nolasco and Johnson either in the Pen or down on the farm starting, the FO wasn't having any of that. Joe is also the reason Johnson got hurt, after the rain delay having him go back out and pitch thats just stupid.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 07:46 PM)
If Girardi tried to manage a veteran team like he managed the Fish, they'd quit on him in a heartbeat.

Not sure if that says more about him or today's moneyed athletes.

Girardi just rubs me the wrong way for some reason - he has that Buck Showalter "I invented the game" stench to him.

Agreed on all counts, plus both are just HORRIBLE in game managers.