Top hitters of LHP

BamaDoc

Boy it is slow with out my Sox to follow. Many posters have mentioned the number of good lefthanders in our division. Since the hot stove page isn't up yet I am putting this her. I searched the MLB.com stats for top hitters vs LHP. A surprising name came up. He hit close to .350 vs lefties with nearly .400 OBP. 2005 year hit .100 higher vs lefties. Has played outfield last year and 2b,3b in previous years. He has no clubhouse problems, should be very cheap contract wise. I would envision platoon in left field and could spell at other positions. His team needs pitching..........I give you the not flashy but useful Mark DeRosa of Texas.

I would love the glamour additions, but they cost a lot in dollars and talent. Some seemingly small additions could be difference makers over an entire season. Platooning with Mack(keeps Mack out of center), Pods(he can't suck that much again and talk about selling at low value), or other addition. I think most or all of our offensive additions will be guys who do the little things well(bunt, hit behind the runners,patient hitters). Any others thoughts?

Only thing is that this year he was flashy for a little while. He'll look for a starting job, but I wouldn't mind him in a platoon if he can't find that. And the versatility is nice. I don't know anything about his defense.

Some other outfield names that may be available that hit lhp very well -- Kevin Mench, Xavier Nady, Moises Alou. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 4, 2006 -> 02:17 PM)
Only thing is that this year he was flashy for a little while. He'll look for a starting job, but I wouldn't mind him in a platoon if he can't find that. And the versatility is nice. I don't know anything about his defense.

Some other outfield names that may be available that hit lhp very well -- Kevin Mench, Xavier Nady, Moises Alou. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Of all of those, I'd take Nady...just for potential.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 4, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
But he's on the weakest team, so he seems to be the least likely to actually be made available.

Alou can become a free Agent this November, and sure sounds like he's headed out of S.F. ""I'm glad I was here," he told the San Jose Mercury News on Sunday. "I'm thankful for the opportunity.""

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 4, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)
Alou should be starting somewhere next year. 22 homers, .919 OPS in about 375 PAs this year...that's very solid, regardless of how much time he missed.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Detroit made a run at him. Former Marlins Manager...significant need of a DH, could use a right handed RBI bat, etc.

Pat Burrell, career .950 OPS vs. LHP. Plays a below average left field. Definite candidate to be moved this offseason, maybe the Phillies could throw in one of the many talented minor league arms they have if we took on some of that hideous contract.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Oct 4, 2006 -> 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pat Burrell, career .950 OPS vs. LHP. Plays a below average left field. Definite candidate to be moved this offseason, maybe the Phillies could throw in one of the many talented minor league arms they have if we took on some of that hideous contract.

Gio Gonzalez or Fabio?