Out of our 6 starters...

GreatScott82

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be a race to see who goes forst between Jose and Garcia. Despite 'Big Game''s performance late in the season, I don't think KW trusts him. And Jose is only getting older. His value would be highest for the Sox now, assuming he isn't hurt. There has to ba a team in the NL somewhere thinking they are only one starter away......

Garcia. He's the only one not locked up besides MB who the sox will try to lock up this offseason. If the sox are far apart on a MB deal, they should go into 2007 with him anyway. If the sox are then out of it by the deadline then maybe deal him.

KW will look at Zito and the A's success and hold onto MB

Javier Vazquez is a loser. He was a loser before KW traded for him, he was a loser last year and there is no reason to suspect he won't be a loser in the future. Despite his great 'stuff' he finds a way to lose. Cooper did a great job with him, he avoided his usual 1/2 dozen 2 inning blowouts and he still lost more than he won. More often than not, he can be counted on to find the key moment to get lackadaisical and give up the big hit, no matter how good he looks early in a game. No personal attack, he seems to be a fine person and certainly cares about the games, but on the diamond he has the heart of dog instead of a lion.

Move Vazquez.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)
Garcia. He's the only one not locked up besides MB who the sox will try to lock up this offseason. If the sox are far apart on a MB deal, they should go into 2007 with him anyway. If the sox are then out of it by the deadline then maybe deal him.

KW will look at Zito and the A's success and hold onto MB

You see the A's will be getting compensation for Zito this offseason in the form of draft picks (not nearly enough). However there is a new proposal up for consideration by the owners, the elimination of draft pick compensation if they Sox did hang onto Buehrle thinking they'd get some draft pick compensation for him in free agency (not nearly fair compensation) and they pass this resolution, the Sox will be s*** out of luck and they'll walk away with nothing to show for him. Zito is the only one of the big 3 to go to free agency, Beane dealt the other 2, you have to remember there are extenuating circumstances surrounding the A's decision to keep Zito, it's not fair to compare it to Buehrle's situation.

If the Sox can't come to an agreement with Buehrle this offseason then he needs to be dealt, Buehrle is worth far too much on the trade market to be lost with no compensation, that's just bad business practice. If the Sox want to be at all successful in 2008 and beyond, they will follow this plan.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 05:48 PM)
Zito is the only one of the big 3 to go to free agency, Beane dealt the other 2, you have to remember there is extenuating circumstances surrounding the A's decision to keep Zito, it's not fair to compare it to Buehrle's situation.

It's worth noting one of the key extenuating circumstances...if Beane had traded away Zito as well, he'd basically have left himself a very very inexperienced starting rotation, with guys like Haren, Harden, etc. Zito was basically the only one with any real experience, or especially postseason experience on that list. And beyond that, it seemed pretty well known that the A's would have dealt Zito at the trading deadline this year had the Metropolitans been willing to part with Milledge, which they weren't (good planning there).

Even if the White Sox dealt 2 starters, they'd still wind up with a good chunk of experience in their rotation, so that is fundamentally different from what made the A's hold on to Zito.

I'd be looking to deal Contreras. He's the oldest of the group, and still has a lot left on his contract (both years and dollars). Teams have seen his spurts of greatness throughout this year and last, so he will have a fair amount of value (although not as much as it could be due to his age/contract), and we should be able to get enough in return to improve the ballclub overall.

There are two SP I would like to see.

I would like us to deal Contreras. I know he has been great and with that said we can get as much value for him this off season. Also, we dont know how old Jose is so it will be good to part ways with 2 more years in his contract.

Secondly, I'd beg for KW to trade Vazquez. The last couple of games, Vaz has struck out a ton of but still ended up on the losing end. Vaz seems to find ways to lose and I think we should get rid of that kind of players in our team.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
The last couple of games, Vaz has struck out a ton of but still ended up on the losing end. Vaz seems to find ways to lose and I think we should get rid of that kind of players in our team.

Hardly his fault. witesoxfan's signature sums it up:

Javier Vazquez, since 8/5

12 GS 77 IP 67 H 33 ER 9 HR 20 BB 75 K, 3.86 ERA, 1.13 WHIP

White Sox record in those starts - 2-10(10 straight losses).

White Sox offense in those starts - 2.6 runs a game.

White Sox offense in Vazquez's last 10 starts - 1.9 runs a game

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showuser=48

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
Get rid of Vas; cut our losses.

Keep Freddie.

That said, I would anticipate Fred gets dealt and he will be the only one dealt.

I think that Freddy is going to get the boot. He and his blazing 85 mph fastball can go somewhere else.

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE(Drew @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 11:23 PM)
Would Texas bite on a guy like Contreras?

They have some pieces that may be of some use to us. I'm not necessarily sold on Sarge Jr. but I like Mark DeRosa.

Well DeRosa is a f/a :P , same thing as Sarge jr. assuming that means mathews jr.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 6, 2006 -> 03:53 AM)
Mulder is a fa. I'm a big fan of Anthony Reyes but Buehrle is worth a hell of a lot more than that.

We have waited for MB to come down to earth for a long time.My gut tells me the league has finally caught up to him.Reyes is gonna be a hell of a pitcher for a long time.

QUOTE(shipps @ Oct 6, 2006 -> 04:01 AM)
We have waited for MB to come down to earth for a long time.My gut tells me the league has finally caught up to him.Reyes is gonna be a hell of a pitcher for a long time.

I'm sorry but I don't buy that the league caught up to him after 5 years, that doesn't make much sense. Buehrle is one guy that I have faith in to bounce back, much more than Freddy, much more than Jose, and I expect Mark once again to be better than Garland next season. Like I said, I am a big fan of Reyes and I think he's going to be a very nice pitcher but Buehrle is worth more than that.

QUOTE(shipps @ Oct 6, 2006 -> 04:01 AM)

We've all been waiting for him to come down to earth eh? Was he in space?

For those of you willing to ship Mark somewhere, who do we get to replace him? And I don't mean BMac. I mean, a lefty. We are going to be in third again if we go into the season with 5 RHP starting for us.

Buehrle will get back to where he was when he remembers how to keep the ball down. You don't figure out a guy like Buehrle because he pitches to contact. He isn't a strikeout machine. That's why he's had success. He may not ever be a 20 game winner, but he's going to consistently win 15 a year. Keep him long term...well, three years.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 6, 2006 -> 09:01 AM)
For those of you willing to ship Mark somewhere, who do we get to replace him? And I don't mean BMac. I mean, a lefty. We are going to be in third again if we go into the season with 5 RHP starting for us.

Buehrle will get back to where he was when he remembers how to keep the ball down. You don't figure out a guy like Buehrle because he pitches to contact. He isn't a strikeout machine. That's why he's had success. He may not ever be a 20 game winner, but he's going to consistently win 15 a year. Keep him long term...well, three years.

If we have to have 5 righties starting, then we have to have 5 righties starting. Yes, it is a problem. But again, we would be in worse shape if Buehrle were to leave as a Free Agent after 2007. Then we would be left with Garland, Contreras, Vazquez, McCarthy, Haeger, and Broadway as our potential starting pitchers in 2008. And guess what arm they all throw with.

Yes, we need to find a lefty for the rotation. The best way to do that is to keep Buehrle. But if we can't do that for whatever reason...another option is to deal Buehrle and use that talent to fill your lefty starter spot.