Official NHL Thread

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Havlat comes back like he hasn't missed a beat... great to see.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 05:43 PM)
It no longer exists

I guess I would have known that if I would have bothered to read part of this thread...sheesh. :bang

Seen this and thought it was worth sharing...it wouldn't be the worst idea.

Source: Ron MacLean just now on Hockey Night in Canada's Hot Stove segment. Stated Bondra in talks with Chicago, could be very close to signing with them!

Edited by EvilJester99

Boucher's brutal turnover responsible for one goal, Smolinski's brutal turnover responsible for another.

Though we did catch a break on the no goal call, there was clearly no whistle and that puck was in the net.

This game is pissing me off to no end, they are playing stupid hockey.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
Boucher was awful and the stupid penelties were killing them. I have to say Cullimore has been playing a lot better of late....hopefully that will help in dealing him away.

And Cam Barker has been playin well down at Norfolk late from what I've heard.

Trade Cully, see what you can get for Boucher on the market (cos there's always teams who could be after a backup goalie upgrade).

Call up Barker to replace Cully, or Richmond. And I see Wishineski (sure I didn't spell that right) has been gettin a lot of ice time since Savard took over.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 04:17 AM)
Call up Barker to replace Cully, or Richmond. And I see Wishineski (sure I didn't spell that right) has been gettin a lot of ice time since Savard took over.

I didn't see the game, but Wis sure sounds like a tough kid. Small, but he hits. Also sounded (for those that don't know, I can't see the majority of the games) like he played real well, knocking some guys off the puck. Brian or Jester, or anyone else who saw the game, care to comment?

I hope Cullimore has 'showcased' himself well enough to warrant a trade, even if it's for something like a fifth rounder. We are still pretty deep defensively, and eventually I'd like to see two of Wis/Barker/Byfuglian playing fairly solid minutes for the Hawks regularly. Seabrook, Keith, Kukkonen, Vandy, Wis, Barker, Aucoin, Byfuglian, Richmond -- that's nine right there not counting Cullimore.

We're currently four points out of a playoff spot. All things considered, that's not bad. I'm not expecting us to actually get that last playoff spot, but I'd consider this season successful if we're competing for that spot come March/April. Gonna have to go on a run, but I think it's possible. Khabbi has been playing very well, and Havlat is back. Five of the next seven games are at home. The games at home look tough (Wings, Oilers, Preds among others), but the two games on the road are VERY winnable, against the Blues and BJs.

I forgot to say that it's quite possible we get MORE offense in the next two weeks, with Bondra potentially signing and Borque coming back. We're not talking about game-changers with those two, but both will fit in nicely and help the club out offensively. If the defense can hold its own, I think we'll start to score a bit more, mainly because of the Havlat/Ruutu combo, but also because we're getting a little deeper.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 06:04 AM)
At least they got another point and Havlat is back.....but damn, sounds like they shoulda won tonight. I didn't see the game, but I've seen several that Boucher has played and he SUCKS!! Do the Hawks still have Lalime? I know they did, but he was hurt.

Point one: No, they shouldn't have won. For one, Boucher played crappy. Second, I've read that Minny hit between five-and-seven posts tonight. Literally. For them to hit that many posts and still score five goals, I imagine the defense was shoddy at best, although Cullimore and Wis seem to have played decently.

Going into the third period, down 4-2, on the road, to a pretty solid Minnesota Wild team, and we get a point? I'll take that all day.

Point two: Lalime should be back by the end of December. Apparently he's starting to work about a bit with the team and practice. Just FWIW.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 12:57 AM)
Point one: No, they shouldn't have won. For one, Boucher played crappy. Second, I've read that Minny hit between five-and-seven posts tonight. Literally. For them to hit that many posts and still score five goals, I imagine the defense was shoddy at best, although Cullimore and Wis seem to have played decently.

Going into the third period, down 4-2, on the road, to a pretty solid Minnesota Wild team, and we get a point? I'll take that all day.

Point two: Lalime should be back by the end of December. Apparently he's starting to work about a bit with the team and practice. Just FWIW.

Thanks. I hope your right on Lalime, I consider any day off for Bulin a 0 point game these days. Sounds like it's a miracle we salvaged 1 tonight.

Boucher wasn't very good tonight, but I think he's fine as a backup goalie (unless they get Lalime back and he takes over). He can't play starters minutes and shouldn't, like some people have wanted (and trade khabi), but he was pretty good while khabi was hurt. He just didn't have a very good game tonight, which will happen with a backup in there. He was in because Khabi has the flu...otherwise it was his game. Hopefully he's recovered by tomorrow. Savard already said that Khabi will get the vast majority of the playing time, so i'm not too worried about it.

The Hawks were extremely lucky to get a point out of this game....as was stated Minny hit a minimium of 6 posts. Boucher was terrible and all the stupid penelties. Havlat is amazing BTW. Wiz was knocking people off the puck quite a bit and seemed to be in the right spots. I am very impressed thus far with him. He has filled in nicely for Augroin and should help ship him out. As for Cullimore hopefully a team will see his recent play and take a shot on him. I heard rumor that Philly might be interested in Culli and Boucher...I would assume for Calder and possibly something else. One could hope at least.

Bondra's player profile from TSN:

Assets - Is a brilliant skater. Has a deceptively hard wrist shot and likes to use it from anywhere. Is very strong on the power play, and also dangerous when a man short.

Flaws - Doesn't get a lot of assists because he shoots so often. Isn't a physical player but takes a few too many penalties.

Career potential - Top six winger.

Last year in 60 games, he tallied 39 points (21 G + 18 A). So he looks like a decent 2nd liner who will be forced into a first line role, which I don't mind. We don't have anyone else who can score like he can, and it's only costing Tallon half a million for one year. Nice deal.

Who's he going to play with? Havlat/Ruutu/Bondra? Havlat/Smoke/Bondra?