Official NHL Thread

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 09:40 PM)
Hawks are gonna take two points from St. Louis tonight. I saw the ugly first period and went out after that. Anyone hae thoughts on the game?

Khabibulin was stellar, and the offense finally came around a bit in the 3rd. As others said, the first 2 periods were brutal, especially the defensive core. They were lazy and stupid...terrible penalties everywhere that you just shouldn't be taking at this point in the season. But Habby kept us in it with some remarkable saves and we eventually beat Legace a few times. Now they gotta stick around and take 2 more from them on Thursday.

BTW, Arkhipov looks a ton better the last 10 games, and Ruutu also had a solid game tonight.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't NHL related, per se, but Canada beat the USA in a shootout this morning in the World Juniors. And folks, let me tell you... Jonathan Toews is on his way. After the first three rounds, you can use any shooter you want, even if it means using the same guy. Well, Canada took full advantage of this -- they used Toews three times in a six or seven round shootout -- and he scored all three times. His wrist shot is spectacular. His overall game is awesome. If he ain't a future captain, I don't know who is.

On a separate note, it's a real shame the game had to end in a shootout. They played a ten minute OT in which the US dominated, outshooting Canada something like 12-to-2. But to turn it into a 'skills' competition at the end blows hard. It takes a little bit of luster off of one helluva hockey game.

Skille will be a useful addition as well. He's looking like he could be a good forward. He stands in front of the net on the PP, works hard in the corners, and does a pretty good job on the forecheck. After seeing these two live at the ND/Wiscy game I went to earlier in the year, along with the prospects camp and the games in the WJCs, I'd rate Toews a little bit higher than Skille.

But I'm glad to have them both, and can't wait until they're up next year.

Too bad I was kind of hoping Tallon would go after this guy...

THE PHOENIX COYOTES HAVE DEALT FORWARD MIKE COMRIE TO THE OTTAWA SENATORS IN EXCHANGE FOR CENTRE ALEXEI KAIGORODOV.

Spector's Note: My thanks to all of you who sent this in. Analysis upcoming on my blog.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 12:12 PM)
This isn't NHL related, per se, but Canada beat the USA in a shootout this morning in the World Juniors. And folks, let me tell you... Jonathan Toews is on his way. After the first three rounds, you can use any shooter you want, even if it means using the same guy. Well, Canada took full advantage of this -- they used Toews three times in a six or seven round shootout -- and he scored all three times. His wrist shot is spectacular. His overall game is awesome. If he ain't a future captain, I don't know who is.

On a separate note, it's a real shame the game had to end in a shootout. They played a ten minute OT in which the US dominated, outshooting Canada something like 12-to-2. But to turn it into a 'skills' competition at the end blows hard. It takes a little bit of luster off of one helluva hockey game.

Skille will be a useful addition as well. He's looking like he could be a good forward. He stands in front of the net on the PP, works hard in the corners, and does a pretty good job on the forecheck. After seeing these two live at the ND/Wiscy game I went to earlier in the year, along with the prospects camp and the games in the WJCs, I'd rate Toews a little bit higher than Skille.

But I'm glad to have them both, and can't wait until they're up next year.

Yeah, the shootout sucks to end a game. That's the IIHF rules for you. It was very compelling for a shootout to say the least, but i would rather have them skate til they drop.

But yup, Toews is sick. Can't wait for him to replace the ugly leaf with an indian head. Hopefully he's the next Modano/Yzerman.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 05:13 PM)
Yeah, the shootout sucks to end a game. That's the IIHF rules for you. It was very compelling for a shootout to say the least, but i would rather have them skate til they drop.

But yup, Toews is sick. Can't wait for him to replace the ugly leaf with an indian head. Hopefully he's the next Modano/Yzerman.

3 shootouts is a great way to end a game.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 01:56 AM)
Not a hockey fan i see

I'm a lifelong hockey fan, and I love the shootout. And I love the 4-on-4 overtime format.

I'd much rather see a shootout than a second overtime or a tie.

Except, of course, in the Stanley Cup playoffs - let them play all night to decide a playoff game if they have to.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 07:30 AM)
I'm a lifelong hockey fan, and I love the shootout. And I love the 4-on-4 overtime format.

I'd much rather see a shootout than a second overtime or a tie.

Except, of course, in the Stanley Cup playoffs - let them play all night to decide a playoff game if they have to.

This was the same as the stanley cup playoffs...it was the semifinal into a gold medal game.

If you want a shootout to decide that or a stanley cup final game, then no, you aren't a real hockey fan. That's what i was getting at.

To beat a dead horse...

Aucoin f***ing sucks.

Cullimore f***ing sucks.

Please Dale, trade these guys for ANYTHING. Eat their contracts. I can't watch 'em anymore. Aucoin played awful tonight. Multiple giveaways, guys just skating right around him. He's terrible.

Barker and Byfuglian need to be up here ASAP. God damn those two have to be the slowest defensive pairing in hockey.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 11:24 PM)
To beat a dead horse...

Aucoin f***ing sucks.

Cullimore f***ing sucks.

Please Dale, trade these guys for ANYTHING. Eat their contracts. I can't watch 'em anymore. Aucoin played awful tonight. Multiple giveaways, guys just skating right around him. He's terrible.

Barker and Byfuglian need to be up here ASAP. God damn those two have to be the slowest defensive pairing in hockey.

Aucoin was undressed bad early in the game tonight. Cullimore had a few bad give-a-ways tonight as well, par for the course.

Tonight was horrible, atleast the little kids they had out during the intermission looked good :)

This could make getting Prospal that much easier to get now.. maybe!

PROSPAL, TORTORELLA BUTT HEADS.

TSN.CA: Darren Dreger reported Thursday multiple sources confirms Tampa Bay Lightning forward Vaclav Prospal and head coach John Tortorella had a "heated exchange" on the bench during the club's 5-2 loss to the Montreal Canadiens on Wednesday. They discussed the rift between periods and "finished the game without further incident".

Spector's Note: The pressure is on the struggling Bolts this season, and with rumours of a possible trade hanging over Prospal and Ruslan Fedotenko it's no surprise that something like this should occur. Tortorella isn't going anywhere, so this incident could increase the likelihood of Prospal getting moved before the deadline.

Hmm... Byfuglian and Colin Fraser were also called up. A trade has to be coming, right? That's now eight defensemen on the roster, and you can't move Wis to the wing, seeing that he's part of the Hawks' best pairing. Hopefully by the end of the night, one of Cullimore/Aucoin/Vandermeer aren't on the Hawks roster.

Let's Go Buffalo!

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 01:56 AM)
Not a hockey fan i see

id be willing to bet that I have PLAYED hockey longer than you have been watching it.

QUOTE(Dan @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 10:39 PM)
id be willing to bet that I have PLAYED hockey longer than you have been watching it.

What does having played the game have to do with ANYTHING?

If you like a shootout to decide a playoff type hockey game, I don't really see how you are a true fan, simple as that. Making an awesome game into a skills competition is not a way to end a meaningful game.

---------------

Also, despite the loss, the Hawks played pretty well last night. They had some good opportunities on Miller who pretty much stood on his head. Khabi let in a pretty (IMO) soft goal on Afinigenov, but otherwise had a strong night. The guys put up a pretty good effort against one of the better teams in hockey.

And Byfuglian needs to be up here full time. He made some mistakes last nite, but I think he's ready to take a 5th/6th defenseman role. f***ing Cullimore and Aucoin...

QUOTE(Gage Loves Me @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 06:42 PM)
Ummmm hi. I'm new here, and since there is nowhere to introduce myself, I'm not gonna introduce myself.

I'm here to take over this thread.

Let's go Rangers.

You may become the first member ever to have all his posts in one thread....CHUMP. Oh and Go Islanders :drink :sweep:

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 06:57 PM)
You may become the first member ever to have all his posts in one thread....CHUMP. Oh and Go Islanders :drink :sweep:

Gage, that is my goal. Seriously.

I'm gonna try to keep every single one of my posts in this thread.

EDIT: How the f*** do I change my avatar? Nevermind, I got it. I'm so smart.

Edited by Gage Loves Me