Official NHL Thread

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 09:52 AM)
Yet another close loss for the Hawks.

Rangers hang on to win 2-1.

Lalime plays well again.

Very much a Trent Yawney coached type of game, which is ironic when you think about it, since Tallon was trying to get away from that.

Shows how much they need some more top 6 forwards besides Havlat though.

Anything to keep himself from being traded eh??

CHICAGO DAILY HERALD: Tim Sassone reports Blackhawks blueliner Jassen Cullimore broke his left index finger over the weekend. "Cullimore’s $1.9 million salary for next season already made it doubtful that Tallon could deal him, and now the broken finger doesn’t make Cullimore any more attractive to teams interested in veteran defensive help", reports Sassone.

Spector's Note: There probably wasn't much interest in Cullimore before the injury. This'll likely ensure he remains a Blackhawk after deadline day.

Watching the Hawks listlessly lose 2-0 to the Sharks at the UC is not a good bang for the buck. :(

In Toews/Skille we trust.

Also, check this out from Buffalo/Ottawa tonight. Full out brawl including goalies:

05:07 NEIL, C. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

05:07 STAFFORD, D. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

05:13 VOLCHENKOV, A. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

05:13 EMERY, R. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

05:13 EMERY, R. : Goalie leave crease - 2 min

05:13 EMERY, R. : Game misconduct - 0 min

05:13 PETERS, A. : Roughing - 2 min

05:13 PETERS, A. : Instigator - 2 min

05:13 PETERS, A. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

05:13 PETERS, A. : Game misconduct - 0 min

05:13 MAIR, A. : Instigator - 2 min

05:13 MAIR, A. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

05:13 MAIR, A. : Misconduct (10 min) - 0 min

05:13 BIRON, M. : Goalie leave crease - 2 min

05:13 BIRON, M. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

05:13 BIRON, M. : Game misconduct - 0 min

05:13 KALETA, P. : Misconduct (10 min) - 0 min

05:13 PHILLIPS, C. : Misconduct (10 min) - 0 min

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 05:15 AM)
Watching the Hawks listlessly lose 2-0 to the Sharks at the UC is not a good bang for the buck. :(

This is about the time of year the 'depression' usually hits in for me. Seeing teams battle for playoff spots, seeing some great hockey, seeing fans pack the stadium... fun times, hopefully we'll have that soon enough.

But it's a double depression, especially when Washington goes up against Pittsburg. Again, no disrespect intended towards Cam Barker, Jack Skille, and Jonathan Toews, but... Jordan Staal... Evgenei (sp) Malkin... Sidney Crosby... All three on the same PP line... And then on the other side, Alex Ovechkin. And to know that the Hawks were about, on average, two picks away from grabbing any one of them.

I'm not that mad -- I think Toews could end up being the best offensive player in the 2006 draft, but damn... why the f*** did Washington have to jump us in the 2004 draft? Not fair.

Speaking of which -- how has Cam Barker looked in his time up here? Comments from anyone and everyone would be appreciated...

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 11:15 PM)

Also, check this out from Buffalo/Ottawa tonight. Full out brawl including goalies:

05:07 NEIL, C. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

05:07 STAFFORD, D. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

05:13 VOLCHENKOV, A. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

05:13 EMERY, R. : Goalie leave crease - 2 min

05:13 EMERY, R. : Game misconduct - 0 min

05:13 PETERS, A. : Roughing - 2 min

05:13 PETERS, A. : Instigator - 2 min

05:13 PETERS, A. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

05:13 PETERS, A. : Game misconduct - 0 min

05:13 MAIR, A. : Instigator - 2 min

05:13 MAIR, A. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

05:13 MAIR, A. : Misconduct (10 min) - 0 min

05:13 BIRON, M. : Goalie leave crease - 2 min

05:13 BIRON, M. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

05:13 BIRON, M. : Game misconduct - 0 min

05:13 KALETA, P. : Misconduct (10 min) - 0 min

05:13 PHILLIPS, C. : Misconduct (10 min) - 0 min

Ottawa goalie(emery) was fighting both the other goalie and a bruiser on the sabres. love this guy.

Sens - Slugs had some serious action last night apparently. Chris Neil brushed against/slammed into someone on the Slugs and an all out brawl ensued - 100 PIM was handed out as well as 3 ejections.

Also, in other news my much loved Eric Cole is out two weeks with an injury (hip I think - as long as it has nothing to do with his neck, I am cool with it).

LMAO! Thanks for sharing that! Emery was just chomping at the bit to get into a fight.

And then coachest get into the act?! HA!

I cannot stand Lindy Ruff (he was a b**** coach last year when they played the Canes).

Edited by Queen Prawn

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 02:15 PM)
LMAO! Thanks for sharing that! Emery was just chomping at the bit to get into a fight.

And then coachest get into the act?! HA!

I cannot stand Lindy Ruff (he was a b**** coach last year when they played the Canes).

And if i'm Ruff i would have been going nuts as well, and would have put the same guys on the ice.

If true I believe this would be a huge mistake...

BLACKHAWKS SHOPPING SEABROOK?

CHICAGO DAILY HERALD: Barry Rozner reports the Blackhawks "have been asking clubs what they might be able to offer for defenseman Brent Seabrook in hopes of snaring a No. 2 center."

Spector's Note: Hat tip to Jason McLean and "Aaron". Again, the 'Hawks have previously denied Seabrook was available. Unless they doubt they can sign a number two centre this summer, however, it would probably take Seabrook to do it. We'll find out soon enough, I guess.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 10:17 AM)
If true I believe this would be a huge mistake...

BLACKHAWKS SHOPPING SEABROOK?

CHICAGO DAILY HERALD: Barry Rozner reports the Blackhawks "have been asking clubs what they might be able to offer for defenseman Brent Seabrook in hopes of snaring a No. 2 center."

Spector's Note: Hat tip to Jason McLean and "Aaron". Again, the 'Hawks have previously denied Seabrook was available. Unless they doubt they can sign a number two centre this summer, however, it would probably take Seabrook to do it. We'll find out soon enough, I guess.

Ugh, if Seabrook is traded, I don't have any confience at all in Dale Tallon.

And for a #2 center? Uh Dale, that's Michal Handzus, and he's already on your roster.

TKACHUK HEADING TO ATLANTA.

TSN.CA: Darren Dreger reports sources claim the St. Louis Blues have agreed to a deal that'll send Keith Tkachuk to the Atlanta Thrashers. However, the deal hinges on Tkachuk deciding if he'll waive his "no-trade" clause to go to Atlanta. He's apparently discussing it with his family. The swap "is believed to include a variety of draft picks, including a first rounder, as well as a player off Atlanta's roster."

UPDATE: TSN now reports Tkachuk has agreed to waive the clause. Details on the return hopefully to follow soon.

KUKLA'S KORNER: reports the return as follows: "Glen Metropolit, Atlanta’s 2007 1st round pick, 3rd round pick, a 2nd rounder in 2008. There is also a conditional pick based upon whether Tkachuk resigns in Atlanta or not"

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 06:04 AM)
Talk about a big trade. Too bad the Hawks aren't gonna get off there ass and make some moves to set up next years squad.

Yep, I've really lost faith in Tallon as a GM now, after some of the moves he's made.

e.g signing LaPointe, trading for Salm.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 10:41 PM)
Yep, I've really lost faith in Tallon as a GM now, after some of the moves he's made.

e.g signing LaPointe, trading for Salm.

You mean moves that happened over two years ago, or over a year ago in Salm's case? Yet it's right now that you've lost faith in Tallon?

That offseason of Lapointe, Barnaby, and Cullimore wasn't good. From the length of the contract to the amount of money involved, it was an unneccessary 'splurging' of money just for the sake of spending money. They thought that getting the team more 'gritty' was bigger than improving the skill of the team. Then again, I don't think that's correct either... They offered bigger contracts to Modano and Forsberg but those two still signed elsewhere.

Whatever the case was, they were bad contracts at the time they were signed and they're bad now. They're very tough to unload, too, because in the NHL, you can't eat salary in a trade.

Getting back to the point, though, Tallon's main job is to build the farm system and not sacrifice it for a short-term gain. He's done that so far.

I know I've been spouting this for a while, but I'm really looking forward to next year. Toews, Skille, and Barker on the roster from day one. (Hopefully) a healthy, resigned Handzus. Ruutu with a healthy summer and preseason. And hey, the Hawks might land a top six forward in free agency.

I was at the game again today, Smoke played well. After the game he sure sounded like a man who thought there was very good chance he was on his way out.

Dale better make 2-3 moves by Tuesday, there are tons of team looking to add pieces. Smoke would get us the biggest return, too.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 10:15 AM)
You mean moves that happened over two years ago, or over a year ago in Salm's case? Yet it's right now that you've lost faith in Tallon?

That offseason of Lapointe, Barnaby, and Cullimore wasn't good. From the length of the contract to the amount of money involved, it was an unneccessary 'splurging' of money just for the sake of spending money. They thought that getting the team more 'gritty' was bigger than improving the skill of the team. Then again, I don't think that's correct either... They offered bigger contracts to Modano and Forsberg but those two still signed elsewhere.

Whatever the case was, they were bad contracts at the time they were signed and they're bad now. They're very tough to unload, too, because in the NHL, you can't eat salary in a trade.

Getting back to the point, though, Tallon's main job is to build the farm system and not sacrifice it for a short-term gain. He's done that so far.

I know I've been spouting this for a while, but I'm really looking forward to next year. Toews, Skille, and Barker on the roster from day one. (Hopefully) a healthy, resigned Handzus. Ruutu with a healthy summer and preseason. And hey, the Hawks might land a top six forward in free agency.

He's had almost 3 seasons to make this team a playoff team, and we're no closer to that goal than when he first came into the job.

The only move he's made that has really paid off was trading for Marty Havlat. If his main job is to build the farm system, maybe he should be the head of scouting then, while we have someone a little more capable pulling the strings at the NHL level.

If you compared him to other NHL GM's across the league, I'd probably put him in the bottom 5.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 02:23 PM)
I was at the game again today, Smoke played well. After the game he sure sounded like a man who thought there was very good chance he was on his way out.

Dale better make 2-3 moves by Tuesday, there are tons of team looking to add pieces. Smoke would get us the biggest return, too.

If Craig Rivet can get you a 1st round pick, then surely Smoke is worth something similar.

Gives me a little hope that Cully could maybe get dealt as well (although that extra year on his contract REALLY hurts).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 10:12 AM)
He's had almost 3 seasons to make this team a playoff team, and we're no closer to that goal than when he first came into the job.

Three seasons? He took over in the offseason prior to the 2005-2006 campaign. He had his hand in some moves prior to then, but it wasn't official until then. That's not even two full seasons.

The only move he's made that has really paid off was trading for Marty Havlat. If his main job is to build the farm system, maybe he should be the head of scouting then, while we have someone a little more capable pulling the strings at the NHL level.

His main job as of right now is to build through the farm system. He's done an excellent job of that. The team he inherited from Mike Smith was full of old vets and some top-end prospects who didn't pan out (Vorobiev, Babchuk, Yakubov). Please tell me how he was supposed to craft that into a playoff contender in just two seasons? Please do.

Again, I'm not saying all of his moves have been perfect, but I have no idea how you can come to this conclusion:

If you compared him to other NHL GM's across the league, I'd probably put him in the bottom 5.

I'd love to see that list, if only to have something to giggle at for the remainder of the day.

If you came into this season 'expecting' playoffs, your vision was diluted. We have two top six forwards and a young, developing defence whose best prospect (Barker) wasn't even up here from the beginning of the year.

I'm sure you're thinking, "Well, whose job is it to acquire those top six forwards?" And my response is that Tallon more or less did his best in trying to acquire those guys. He offered bigger contracts to Forsberg and Modano. Last winter, I doubt the Hawks could've afforded another contract of a top six forward with the cap.

The life of this franchise -- the life of Dale Tallon -- they both rest upon the shoulders of guys, several of which aren't even on the team or have been on the team a very short time. Guys like Havlat, Barker, Toews, Skille. Those guys will make or break the Hawks for the next decade.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 07:23 AM)
Three seasons? He took over in the offseason prior to the 2005-2006 campaign. He had his hand in some moves prior to then, but it wasn't official until then. That's not even two full seasons.

His main job as of right now is to build through the farm system. He's done an excellent job of that. The team he inherited from Mike Smith was full of old vets and some top-end prospects who didn't pan out (Vorobiev, Babchuk, Yakubov). Please tell me how he was supposed to craft that into a playoff contender in just two seasons? Please do.

Again, I'm not saying all of his moves have been perfect, but I have no idea how you can come to this conclusion:

I'd love to see that list, if only to have something to giggle at for the remainder of the day.

If you came into this season 'expecting' playoffs, your vision was diluted. We have two top six forwards and a young, developing defence whose best prospect (Barker) wasn't even up here from the beginning of the year.

I'm sure you're thinking, "Well, whose job is it to acquire those top six forwards?" And my response is that Tallon more or less did his best in trying to acquire those guys. He offered bigger contracts to Forsberg and Modano. Last winter, I doubt the Hawks could've afforded another contract of a top six forward with the cap.

The life of this franchise -- the life of Dale Tallon -- they both rest upon the shoulders of guys, several of which aren't even on the team or have been on the team a very short time. Guys like Havlat, Barker, Toews, Skille. Those guys will make or break the Hawks for the next decade.

My mistake on the length of his tenure, I though it'd had been 3 years off the top of my head, but I was wrong.

There have been teams in the NHL who struggled before the lockout and have turned into very good NHL teams with the benefits of a few moves. Tallon could have done this had he not wasted money on the likes of Barnaby, LaPointe etc., tough character guys who turned out to be nothing more than 4th liners with grit., which at the money they were getting wasn't a good decision.

I did not "expect" playoffs coming into this season, but I expected the Hawks to at least be around the mark, and competiting for that final spot. Savard's done a commendable job with the talent he's been given I think, because there's basically no offensive threat on the ice besides Havlat and Ruutu, which I think is a blight on Tallon and the moves he's made.

And yes we've been unfortunate with injuries, but I just think Tallon's time as a GM may be running out, unless he can make some moves this off-season which puts this team in the playoffs.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 11:33 PM)
Is King any good? Or is this more a deal for the draft pick?

More for the pick. Apparently Vancouver has two second round picks -- one is LA's, the other is theirs. The difference between the picks is about 15 slots (at the very least), with LA's being in the 30s and Vancouver's being in the 50s.

So that'll be a big deal, which pick it was. Because King was included (not that he's anything special), I'd guess it's the later pick, but that's just me speculating.