Official NHL Thread

F'in Toronto. Can't stand them, can't stand the refs in their pockets, and can't stand their "we should have won the Cup this year" fans every single year.

Let's make it back to back W's, we especially need to beat the teams we're directly competing with for the playoffs.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another excellent defensive effort from the Hawks, especially after Vandy's game misconduct.

Nice to see things picking up on an attendance standpoint as well.

Also, there's this idea on the table regarding switching things to 4 divisions;

Right now it's only a concept and may not even make it to a vote next month at the NHL's board of governors, but the league is floating the idea of cutting its divisions down from six to four, sources confirmed to The Canadian Press on Friday.

The massive overhaul, which features the Atlanta Thrashers and Columbus Blue Jackets switching conferences, was discussed Wednesday in New York when governors representing all six divisions met with commissioner Gary Bettman to try and find a solution to the ongoing schedule conflict.

Over the next few weeks, governors and GMs will be asked to look it over and decide whether it's worth a vote. Public reaction, especially in the media, will also factor in to whether it makes it to a vote at the board of governors meeting in Dallas next month.

The concept goes as follows:

-Four divisions instead of six. The Eastern and Western Conferences would each have eight-and seven-team divisions;

-Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Colorado and Phoenix would make up the eight-team division in the Western Conference. The seven-team division would feature Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, Dallas, Minnesota and Eastern Conference newcomer Atlanta;

-The new divisions in the East: one would feature Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo, Boston, Pittsburgh and Western Conference alumni Columbus. The other division would include the New York Rangers, New York Islanders, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Washington, Tampa Bay, Florida and Carolina. The Caps rejoining their old Patrick Division rivals was a popular sentiment at Wednesday's meeting;

-The divisions would be more sensitive to time zones with a huge consideration to TV start times. More games in the same time zone means less games at odd start times for viewers. This would also cut down on travel;

-The top four playoff seeds would come from the top two teams in each division. Four wild-card playoff berths would then be battled among the teams with the next highest point totals. So it would remain eight playoff teams in each conference.

A source stressed Friday that the idea still needs to marinade among team executives over the next few weeks. One GM contacted Friday by CP didn't even know about it yet.

What remains to be seen is how the Thrashers and Jackets will feel about switching conferences. For Columbus, it appears to make sense to be in the same division as Ohio-based Pittsburgh - although who knows where the Penguins end up next season.

Thrashers general manager Don Waddell said the proposal was news to him.

"We have not yet been approached by anyone associated with the league regarding switching divisions and conferences," Waddell said in a statement. "Therefore, we'll defer to the league and will not comment until the appropriate time.

"I will say that our organization is pleased with the current situation and our alignment in the Eastern Conference."

The Chicago Blackhawks and Anaheim Ducks have completed a minor league deal with Chicago sending right wing Pierre Parenteau and defenceman Bruno St. Jacques to Anaheim in exchange for goaltender Sebastien Caron and forwards Matt Keith and Chris Durno.

Parenteau was Anaheim's ninth round pick in the 2001 entry draft out of Chicoutimi in the Quebec Major Junior League. The 23 year-old forward has appeared in 28 games for Portland this season scoring 15 goals and adding 13 assists for 28 points with 35 penalty minutes and a +6 rating.

Parenteau played for Team Canada in the 2003 World Junior Championships appearing in six games and scoring four goals and seven points to help Canada capture the silver medal.

St. Jacques, 26, was originally drafted by Philadelphia in the ninth round of the 1998 entry draft. This season, he has appeared in 25 games for Portland in the AHL scoring a goal and nine points with 26 penalty minutes and a +2 rating.

Caron was signed by the Blackhawks as a free agent on August 8. He has played in nine games for Norfolk with a record of 4-4-4 with a 4.03 goals against average and a .868 save percentage.

Keith has appeared in 19 games for Norfolk this season scoring two goals and eight points with 15 penalty minutes and a +2 rating. He also played with the Blackhawks earlier this season appearing in 2 games with 4 penalty minutes and a minus-2 rating.

Chris Durno was signed by the Blackhawks as a free agent on September 25 after coming to training camp on a tryout basis. This season at Norfolk, Durno appeared in 22 games scoring four goals and five points with 61 penalty minutes and a minus-2 rating.

Edited by EvilJester99

I found this on the main boards...

Pierre Parenteau

Assets Has excellent offensive instincts. Can line up both at center and right wing with equal aplomb.

Flaws Is woefully thin and needs to add serious muscle in order to make it in the NHL. Must continue to work on his play without the puck.

Career potential Third line forward.

Bruno St. Jacques

Assets Displays impeccable work ethic. Likes to lay on the body, especially in front of the net. Has decent offensive instincts.

Flaws Isn't gifted or skilled enough to earn top-four minutes in the NHL, so he must continue to be the hardest worker on the ice. Struggle against speedy forwards.

Career potential Reserve defenseman.

I'd say the hawks won this trade for what it's worth...

The part I found funny about TSN's report on this is they had the teams sending the guys to the wrong teams...someone needed to double check their facts...

The Chicago Blackhawks and Anaheim Ducks have completed a minor league deal with Chicago sending right wing Pierre Parenteau and defenceman Bruno St. Jacques to Anaheim in exchange for goaltender Sebastien Caron and forwards Matt Keith and Chris Durno.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Dec 28, 2006 -> 07:49 PM)
The part I found funny about TSN's report on this is they had the teams sending the guys to the wrong teams...someone needed to double check their facts...

Ya, even my dumb self picked up on the fact that they had the players listed as being traded to their own teams.

Chicago has assigned Troy Brouwer to the Ads. The guy has been a pretty good goal scorer in the minors but really got little minutes in the couple games he was up.

Do you guys think he has much potential for this year or is he the type of guy that may make it on a latter line a year from now.

I should also point out that Toews and Skille have both looked very good in the World Junior Championships. Toews looks like one of the best prospects in all of hockey and Skille has flashed off his ability and ridiculous ass shot (a real rocket for a shot as far as I'm concerned).

Also, I hear you can watch hockey games on yahoo....how do you do this? Is it free?

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
Keith and I will be at the game tonight, and we're dragging Justin and Steve with us, booya.

There are some rumors that Prospal could be a Blackhawk. No mention on who we'd give up but I'd imagine Cullimore cause the salaries are a wash and Cullimore has had success with Tampa before.

He's picked it up a bit, but i just don't like him out there. Tuesday night, 3 penalties, what else is new. He's too damn slow and doesn't move the puck very well. Him and Vandy are both pretty poor at this point, and Aucoin isn't much better. I put all my faith in Keith, Kuk, Wis and Seabs, in that order.