Congratulations to the Tigers

VAfan

Thank you Detroit. Thank you. It was hard for me to cheer for you after months of chasing you, and I'm still rooting for #35 to freaking destroy you...but thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for the deed that Verlander, Rogers, and Bonderman have done.

You have all made America a better place.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 12:50 AM)
Thank you Detroit. Thank you. It was hard for me to cheer for you after months of chasing you, and I'm still rooting for #35 to freaking destroy you...but thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for the deed that Verlander, Rogers, and Bonderman have done.

You have all made America a better place.

I don't see why, probably because I would've liked to see Detroit flounder. I hope Big Frank takes it to the Tigers' pitching, maybe deposit a ball into the seats while their fans are doing the wave. and yes, I'm a little bitter. I need to watch the Sox Pride DVD.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 01:15 AM)
Detroit beating the Yankees frustrates me even more as far as the Sox go. If we had played even .500 baseball the second-half, Detroit wouldn't even be in the playoffs. I have no doubts, even despite all the problems we had, that we could've swept the Yankees. If we just could've f***in' got in. :crying

Especially since we PWNED Detroit in the regular season.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 01:15 AM)
Detroit beating the Yankees frustrates me even more as far as the Sox go. If we had played even .500 baseball the second-half, Detroit wouldn't even be in the playoffs. I have no doubts, even despite all the problems we had, that we could've swept the Yankees. If we just could've f***in' got in. :crying

Well we didn't. Give the Tigers their due. They earned it.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 02:11 AM)
Well we didn't. Give the Tigers their due. They earned it.

I've actually learned to respect this Detroit team a lot because of how little respect they've had all season. They won 95 games with dominant pitching and still nobody gave them a chance in October, hell almost everyone thought they'd be swept. They're a real good team with a legit shot at winning it all(I still think they will).

QUOTE(knightni @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)
GO A'S!

Screw the Tigers and (ha-ha!) Twins.

And a gigantic, $250 million screw you to the moneybags as well!

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 12:23 AM)
I've actually learned to respect this Detroit team a lot because of how little respect they've had all season. They won 95 games with dominant pitching and still nobody gave them a chance in October, hell almost everyone thought they'd be swept. They're a real good team with a legit shot at winning it all(I still think they will).

Well, here's the other side of that...all that pitching turned out not to be enough to save Detroit the Central division despite the monster lead they built up earlier in the year.

Detroit beat the Yankees because the Yankee pitching staff was a freaking disaster. The Yankees got what they deserved.

It'll be interesting to see if Detroit can beat a team built more on pitching and defense rather than 95% on offense, and 5% on Rivera. They have a legit shot, because the playoffs are won by pitching, pitching, pitching. The Yankees had almost none. Detroit had a lot. But so do the A's.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 02:26 AM)
Well, here's the other side of that...all that pitching turned out not to be enough to save Detroit the Central division despite the monster lead they built up earlier in the year.

The playoffs are a whole new season though, the Tigers definitely stunk down the stretch but they still won 95 games. My point is, it wasn't realistic for them to continue on that ridiculous pace they were on and because of that, they slowed down considerably. They weren't an 100 win team and well they didn't win 100 games. I completely agree on the A's though, they're a great team, much much much better than the Yankees. This is the true World Series.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 02:31 AM)
The playoffs are a whole new season though, the Tigers definitely stunk down the stretch but they still won 95 games. My point is, it wasn't realistic for them to continue on that ridiculous pace they were on and because of that, they slowed down considerably. They weren't an 100 win team and well they didn't win 100 games. I completely agree on the A's though, they're a great team, much much much better than the Yankees. This is the true World Series.

This may be a case of the Tigers hit their rough spot and are now getting hot at the right time. Just like the '05 Sox. Oakland is a damn good team, though. I'd have to give the nod to the A's, but the Tigers are capable.

QUOTE(shipps @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 03:33 AM)
Verlander really grew up in this series.I thought he would struggle considering he crapped his pants anytime he pitched a big game.I thought for sure he would give up a big inning with all the men he had on base.

Leyland really is a damn good manager. I'm sure a lot of you heard the story on Sportscenter, where he walked to the mound after Damon's homerun and told Verlander that Mussina still had to hold the lead.

but the Tigers winning it all would be too much for me. they're basically in the mold of the 2005 White Sox, so I want to see an A's sweep.

Anyone notice how eerily similar their season was to ours last year?

-Dominated division all season long, pitching being the main reason

-The sure-thing clinch was in fact blown in the last month (where we almost blew it) after they cooled off

-Lost first playoff game, then swept the next three (what we did in the ALCS)

Sound familiar? Good for them.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone notice how eerily similar their season was to ours last year?

-Dominated division all season long, pitching being the main reason

-The sure-thing clinch was in fact blown in the last month (where we almost blew it) after they cooled off

-Lost first playoff game, then swept the next three (what we did in the ALCS)

Sound familiar? Good for them.

no mention of smallball?