A-Rod, what's the asking price

BobDylan

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 01:50 AM)
Just saw the little interview on SC with A-Rod. After the game, Arod did say he is 100% commited to the Yanks, but when asked "So then you would wave your no trade clause if traded?" He responded, "Well, if they really want to get rid of me......"

That just says it all right there.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 02:10 AM)
That he really is not committed to the Yankees, and will not fight to stay there.

I see. But I can't blame him. If you're not wanted, you want to move to someplace where you are. Human nature.

Steinbrenner's checkbook is at fault as much as anything.

Instead of working on guys and developing guys, they go out every year and make huge free agent splashes on old guys past their primes just to make headlines.

Contreras is a prime example.

He was WAY overpaid until Cooper worked with him. Now, he's worth what the Yankees paid him in his first contract.

Yankees players are pressured to succeed because of their salaries. Some can handle it - many can't - due to mental or physical maladies brought on by age or stress.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(knightni @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 02:15 AM)
Steinbrenner's checkbook is at fault as much as anything.

Instead of working on guys and developing guys, they go out every year and make huge free agent splashes on old guys past their primes just to make headlines.

Contreras is a prime example.

He was WAY overpaid until Cooper worked with him. Now, he's worth what the Yankees paid him in his first contract.

Yankees players are pressured to succeed because of their salaries. Some can handle it - many can't - due to mental or physical maladies brought on by age or stress.

The Yankees build their team on paper. Doesn't always work that way.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Oct 7, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)
If the White Sox could pitch an offer to the Yankees (and of course the Yankees would pick up a MEATY portion of his contract) what level would that pitch need to be in?

And, is A-Rod a player worth having?

I think it'll take Garcia and Crede to get A-Rod and money from the Yankees.

I'm not saying I'd do the trade, but I think that's what the asking price will be.

Bob

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
If Lou Piniella became the Yankees manager, I have a feeling ARod would stay put.

Yeah I saw that, and unfortunately I think that would be the case as well.

Definitely shouldn't stop KW from making Brian Cashman an offer though.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 7, 2006 -> 11:58 PM)
Why would anybody in their right mind want A-Rod.

He defines LOSING.

He makes way too much money. There is jealousy in the clubhouse and his teams

cannot get it done.

Pass on that guy please.

It's abundantly clear that you base all of your baseball knowledge on what ESPN tells you.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 07:37 AM)
I just read through this thread and there is one thing I don't get, how is ARod's $25M salary cancerous but Jeter's $19M (soon to be $20M) not? So just to get this straight $25M = Cancer but $20M = Jordan of baseball.

because of how different the players are. if a player lives up to their paycheck, they won't be ripped. Jeter was ripped just as bad during his 0-for-32 slump, but all he ever said was "I suck right now" (paraphrased) and "I deserve to get booed." A-Rod says "I'm hitting .290-35-100, why are they booing me?"

QUOTE(AirScott @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
because of how different the players are. if a player lives up to their paycheck, they won't be ripped. Jeter was ripped just as bad during his 0-for-32 slump, but all he ever said was "I suck right now" (paraphrased) and "I deserve to get booed." A-Rod says "I'm hitting .290-35-100, why are they booing me?"

Did you read ARod's quotes this morning. He said he sucked. Miguel Tejada didn't get traded because he refused to play 3rd base. He'd rather be guaranteed a losing team and play SS, instead of trying to win and play 3B. ARod, the best all around player in the game, and a better defensive SS than Jeter, moved to 3B willingly. ARods place in the history of the game when its all said and done would shine even brighter if he was known as a SS, but that didn't matter to him, he wanted to win. They money thing is so laughable. If someone offered anyone on this board $252 guaranteed for 10 years, I don't think most of the people crying about his paycheck would turn it down, and that's hypocritical. Its not ARod's fault he gets a boatload of money. I believe he restructured his contract as much as the union would allow him to even take less to try and win with the Yankees. The guy gets a bad rap. He's a great player, and will thrive if he gets out of NY. He hasn't exactly been awful overall with the Yankees either. If Frank Thomas put up the numbers ARod put up the last 3 years, people here would be demanding statues of him all over the city, they would demand that USCF be called Frank Thomas Field. For ARod, its just very mediocre.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
Did you read ARod's quotes this morning. He said he sucked. Miguel Tejada didn't get traded because he refused to play 3rd base. He'd rather be guaranteed a losing team and play SS, instead of trying to win and play 3B. ARod, the best all around player in the game, and a better defensive SS than Jeter, moved to 3B willingly. ARods place in the history of the game when its all said and done would shine even brighter if he was known as a SS, but that didn't matter to him, he wanted to win. They money thing is so laughable. If someone offered anyone on this board $252 guaranteed for 10 years, I don't think most of the people crying about his paycheck would turn it down, and that's hypocritical. Its not ARod's fault he gets a boatload of money. I believe he restructured his contract as much as the union would allow him to even take less to try and win with the Yankees. The guy gets a bad rap. He's a great player, and will thrive if he gets out of NY. He hasn't exactly been awful overall with the Yankees either. If Frank Thomas put up the numbers ARod put up the last 3 years, people here would be demanding statues of him all over the city, they would demand that USCF be called Frank Thomas Field. For ARod, its just very mediocre.

I heard them on Sportscenter. I'm talking about a lot of the in-between stuff. he has asked why he's being booed in the past. that's the difference I was focusing on.

The main thing I worry about is how he'd react when (not IF) jackasses like Hysteriotti start up on him.

Guys like him love to grab hold of a guy and try to destroy him, and I wonder if Alex would think "oh no, here we go again" once Jaybird hung some nickname on him (Pay-Rod, perhaps?) and microcriticized every at-bat or error.

There's no way of knowing how damaged Alex is from his YankMe experience.

I'll definitely take his talent on the Sox, unless George wants to rape the Sox of too many quality guys.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
The main thing I worry about is how he'd react when (not IF) jackasses like Hysteriotti start up on him.

Guys like him love to grab hold of a guy and try to destroy him, and I wonder if Alex would think "oh no, here we go again" once Jaybird hung some nickname on him (Pay-Rod, perhaps?) and microcriticized every at-bat or error.

There's no way of knowing how damaged Alex is from his YankMe experience.

I'll definitely take his talent on the Sox, unless George wants to rape the Sox of too many quality guys.

I'll tell you what Arod would do if Mariotti started up. He would laugh in his face. "That's all you got?" The NY media is lightyears ahead of anything the Chicago media can throw at him. Chicago would feel like paradise for Alex.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)

Wow, great post Dick. I completely agree.

If the players in the Sox' dugout are going to be intimidated or would play worse because a teammate makes more money than them then I don't know why the hell I bother cheering for these pansies. Same goes for the Rowand bulls***, if the absense of one below average player causes the team to play like s*** in the second half of the season then there's something seriously wrong with the guys in that clubhouse.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rowand ... he makes so much more money than any of his peers thus he in

the clubhouse IS A CANCER

What is so hard to understand about that?

We don't need him or want him.

His contract is a joke; I don't care who pays it.

He is an aberration and would ruin the White Sox.

...and this is coming from a guy who thought trading Thome and getting Griffey and BARRY BONDS was a good idea. :lol:

..and this is coming from a guy who thought trading Thome and getting Griffey and BARRY BONDS was a good idea

Sometimes you guys astound me.

You act like a simple post on the message board is something I'm 100 percent behind.

I thought these places were for fun discussion of topics rather than everybody agreeing

with each other.

Maybe I want your opinion on whether Moyer or Redman would be a good idea.

Maybe I've seen the spark Guiel shows in KC and WONDER if we should take him instead

of somebody like Mack.

And throw out there what if we got Bonds and Griffey?

I'm sure I'll tire of this before too long and you'll have one less guy to throw out some

unpopular ideas.

--and getting my opinion from ESPN, not really.

But I follow the media and the papers and I'm sure they do influence opinion and at least

help shape it. But like anybody else I hear something and agree or disagree with it.

p.s. Don't discount the money issue with the "pansies" as you called them.

Nowadays money is very important to how these guys view each other I bet.

True since Jeter gets almost as much, maybe that's a bit different.

Greg im just going to say this, the majority of time when just about everyone disagrees with you, your usually the one in the wrong

How can anyone be wrong who has an opinion about baseball?

Do we need go get out our resumes?

Yes I played the game.

Yes I follow the White Sox closely and have for a long time.