A-Rod, what's the asking price

BobDylan

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)
Personally, I'd rather have Jeter if we are going to trade with the Yankees. He will do whatever it takes to win, yes, you lose a lot defensively from Uribe, but you pick up about 70 points in batting average and about the same in baseball IQ. Discuss.

The Yankees will never trade Derek Jeter. End of discussion.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)
I'm not going to go through 17 pages, but isn't the idea of the offseason to get Iguchi out of the number 2 slot? At least one of the ideas. Also, didn't Ozzie want more speed at the top? Roberts is good, but he's not adding more speed, he's replacing it. And yes, A-Rod can steal some bases, but that's not really why he's on anyone's team.

Personally, I'd rather have Jeter if we are going to trade with the Yankees. He will do whatever it takes to win, yes, you lose a lot defensively from Uribe, but you pick up about 70 points in batting average and about the same in baseball IQ. Discuss.

Yes, the Yankees will likely be looking to deal Derek Jeter, the Michael Jordan of baseball.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)
The Yankees will never trade Derek Jeter. End of discussion.

I don't know...if The Boss is miffed enough, I could see him trying to see what he can get for Jeter. Check Jim Caple's article on Page 2 on ESPN. 5 of the 6 reasons actually make sense.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 01:27 PM)
I don't know...if The Boss is miffed enough, I could see him trying to see what he can get for Jeter. Check Jim Caple's article on Page 2 on ESPN. 5 of the 6 reasons actually make sense.

He's a fan favorite, he's the unquestioned leader of that team, he could conceivably end up with the MVP this year, and his salary is as hard or harder to justify than A-Rod's (and you'd be taking all of it). He's in the top-5 for least likely players to get traded in all of baseball. They would have to be seriously under the influence of something to do that, him and Rivera are about the only two things that haven't gone wrong with the Yankees at some point in their recent history.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)

Just because the reasoning makes sense doesn't mean there's snowball's chance on a planet with a high-CO2 pressure atmosphere that it'll happen.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
Just because the reasoning makes sense doesn't mean there's snowball's chance on a planet with a high-CO2 pressure atmosphere that it'll happen.

what he said

and I chose Balta's response because he is a Bills fan, and because he used fun words

Those of you salivating over a roster that has A-Rod, and doesn't have both Anderson and Sweeney in the OF are kidding yourselves.

If the Sox were to aquire A-Rod, especially without moving Crede, they wouldn't have the payroll flexibility to add a FA at LF.

Gooch

Rod

Thome

Dye

Kong

Crede

Pierz

Anderson

Sweeney

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)
Those of you salivating over a roster that has A-Rod, and doesn't have both Anderson and Sweeney in the OF are kidding yourselves.

If the Sox were to aquire A-Rod, especially without moving Crede, they wouldn't have the payroll flexibility to add a FA at LF.

Gooch

Rod

Thome

Dye

Kong

Crede

Pierz

Anderson

Sweeney

Roberts is going to cost $2.5-4 mill. The Sox can't, in any way, shape, or form, make enough room on the payroll for that?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
Roberts is going to cost $2.5-4 mill. The Sox can't, in any way, shape, or form, make enough room on the payroll for that?

Add it up. Assuming you use one of the $10M arms to get A-Rod, combined with Fields, you're adding $6M in payroll with A-Rod...

Thome -- 8

Dye -- 6.5

Iguchi -- 3.5

Kong -- 12.5

Crede -- 6

Pierz 5.5

A-Rod -- 16

Sweeney +Anderson -- 1

That's almost $59M plus $40M left in the rotation, plus a few Million to the bullpen, plus 2-4.5M for a reserve MIF (Cintron or Uribe), plus 2.5M for Mack, plus a back-up catcher, plus Gload nearing $1M, and you're looking at a $115M payroll.

Toss in Roberts on top of that, and you're approaching 120.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
what he said

and I chose Balta's response because he is a Bills fan, and because he used fun words

Understandable. I'm just saying, with all things being equal, I'd rather have Jeter. And he could hit leadoff, A-Rod can't. Well, i guess he could, but why?

I wonder if we were to do it, which A-Rod would we get?

Would it be the future-HOF A-Rod or would it be the floundering media moth?

Would he be another José Contreras that couldn't deliver in the harsh spotlight of the Bronx and magically finds it elsewhere, or would he be another David Wells who is never as good as he is when he is playing for an AL East team?

The upside to A-Rod is that he's healthy and has a verifiable birth certificate and a decade or so left in the tank, probably coming at a discount price because the Yankees aren't happy with him. The downside is that he's the Hamlet of baseball.

Even at a discount we'd still have to give up a lot in talent and take on a lot in salary. It's worth asking about, although I'm enclined not to roll the dice. By strengthening shortstop, it is likely we would have to open up other holes.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)
Interesting. Why is everybody so concerned with Boras being his agent then?

Because he is a Free Agent after the 2008 season, and he's coming off of a career year, and he has back problems that Mr. Boras's folks do not want him to have surgery to correct, and because Josh Fields has now had a full year at AAA and should probably play in the big leagues next year for someone.

All those things combine to make it a time to really evaluate what we want to do with Crede. Can we sign him? Can he stay healthy? Can we get something really good back for him in a trade? This team will hurt itself next year if it has to keep Fields at AAA because we still don't know what to do with Crede...even just as a trading chip he could provide the big league club a real improvement next year, but if he's stuck at AAA waiting on us to decide what to do with Crede, then he doesn't help the big league team at all.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 08:16 AM)
Let's have a look at the Yanks current rotation;

Wang - He's a keeper.

Mussina - Free Agent I think. Could decide to bolt, cos he's had enough.

Johnson - Almost becoming a liability.

Wright - The Yanks have a $7M option, and a $3M buy-out. It's been mooted they'll trade him, I'd expect a team like Baltimore or the Braves to try hard to acquire him.

Lidle - A Free Agent IIRC. Not sure if he'll be back.

Pavano - Who knows what's going to happen with him, Cashman may try to trade him or buy him out.

So that's 2 definite they've got coming back in Wang and Randy Johnson, albeit RJ ain't that good anymore. But that's 3 other spots they've got to fill still. They'll get one of Zito or Matzusuka I'd imagine, so that's 3. One of Mussina or Lidle, more likely Mussina will probably be back so that's 4.

So it could very well depend on what they do with Pavano. Phillip Hughes will probably be ready mid-season next year, so Garcia makes sense for them in the sense that he's only got 1 year left on his deal, which gives Cashman the flexibility to trade him at the deadline to fill another need possibly.

So I certainly think a Crede and Garcia for A-Rod package is feasible. And I like the idea, because it lets Josh Fields develop at Charlotte for another season (don't want to rush him), and you can let A-Rod take over SS in 2008 when Uribe's contract finishes in 2007.

They don't want a pitcher who's lost velocity and if someone dares blame it on the WBC, I will throw a tirade. Ask any of their fans. Think of it this way, Ken Griffey Jr. now won't net you the same package he would've a couple of years ago. Things change in a matter of a couple of years. Every team wanted Freddy a couple of years ago because he still looked very good, was having a great year(despite win/loss) and was the best pitcher available on the market that year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)
All those things combine to make it a time to really evaluate what we want to do with Crede. Can we sign him? Can he stay healthy? Can we get something really good back for him in a trade? This team will hurt itself next year if it has to keep Fields at AAA because we still don't know what to do with Crede...even just as a trading chip he could provide the big league club a real improvement next year, but if he's stuck at AAA waiting on us to decide what to do with Crede, then he doesn't help the big league team at all.

The Sox won't be hurting themselves if Fields is held in AAA for another year. He by no means dominated the competition at Charlotte. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he had the year he did, but he still struck out over 140 times this year at Charlotte and with the Sox combined, and while an .894 OPS is good, it isn't great considering the park he played in.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
Because he is a Free Agent after the 2008 season, and he's coming off of a career year, and he has back problems that Mr. Boras's folks do not want him to have surgery to correct. and because Josh Fields has now had a full year at AAA and should probably play in the big leagues next year for someone.

for all those reasons i have already come to terms with the fact that joe crede probably will not sign a long term deal with the sox. that is why i wouldn't have a problem dealing crede now. crede's value is as high as its ever been.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 02:20 PM)
The Sox won't be hurting themselves if Fields is held in AAA for another year. He by no means dominated the competition at Charlotte. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he had the year he did, but he still struck out over 140 times this year at Charlotte and with the Sox combined, and while an .894 OPS is good, it isn't great considering the park he played in.

But here's the counter-point....there's only so much more that Fields can learn in AAA, and Crede's value can probably only go down from here.

If we were to trade Crede now, the team getting him would be getting him coming off a career year, with 2 years left before he hits Free Agency. If his back passed another team's physical, that is a dynamite thing to trade for. If, on the other hand, we hold on to him, even if he has a year just as good as this one, his value might decline, because he'd only be 1 year away from Free Agency at the time of the deal. If his numbers regressed somewhat next year, that would hurt his value even more.

And with Fields...he's already spent 1 year at AAA. Yes he has stuff to learn, but he isn't going to learn much more in the minors beyond what he could in a year at AAA followed by a year of winterball. He's followed the correct formula, and that should put him in the big leagues next year with someone. The real key point is this; if the White Sox hold on to both Fields and Crede, we're holding onto Fields to let him develop more while at the same time subtracting from the big league club - since trading Fields could net us a different valuable piece for next season from some team that has room to play him.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 02:01 PM)
Add it up. Assuming you use one of the $10M arms to get A-Rod, combined with Fields, you're adding $6M in payroll with A-Rod...

Thome -- 8

Dye -- 6.5

Iguchi -- 3.5

Kong -- 12.5

Crede -- 6

Pierz 5.5

A-Rod -- 16

Sweeney +Anderson -- 1

That's almost $59M plus $40M left in the rotation, plus a few Million to the bullpen, plus 2-4.5M for a reserve MIF (Cintron or Uribe), plus 2.5M for Mack, plus a back-up catcher, plus Gload nearing $1M, and you're looking at a $115M payroll.

Toss in Roberts on top of that, and you're approaching 120.

So basically, with the addition of ARod, and an addition of Roberts, there's a huge need to trade not only just the one starter for ARod, but yet another as well.

I personally would not be completely opposed to that, so long as a young starting pitcher is brought along with the package. Either that, or you can go crazy and try to bring in as many journeymen starters as you can as NRI to spring training and hope you find one that will satisfy the role for 3 months until Broadway is ready.

And even in doing that, you are still looking at a $110 million payroll. Whether JR is completely opposed to that or not is something I have no knowledge of, but it's not nearly as bad as increasing the payroll $20 million.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 04:58 PM)
I'd add Arod using a pitcher and Josh Fields, but than I'd also go ahead and swing a deal that moved Thome or Konerko out of Chicago because financially we'd need to clear some stuff up, imo.

I have no problem trading Thome and making PK the every day DH and using Gload as the every day first baseman.