A-Rod, what's the asking price

BobDylan

This was a completely out of left field take on the Yanks and ARod situation from Caple. Sorry if this was already posted...but didn't see it as far back as 4 or 5 pages. Could you imagine what Yankee fans would say if this happened?!? The whole thing about Jeter never defending ARod is complete bulls*** IMO. I'd still take ARod in a heartbeat.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...mp;lid=tab2pos1

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the N.Y Post;

EXCLUSIVE After two days of soul searching, George Steinbrenner isn't going to fire Joe Torre, The Post has learned.

According to several sources, The Boss has decided firing Torre isn't the cure for the subterranean problems that plague his $200 million collection of dysfunctional underachievers who have been flushed out of the playoffs in the first round two consecutive seasons.

By the time Torre meets with the press at 1 p.m. today at Yankee Stadium he will have been assured he will be coming back for his 12th season as Yankees manager.

While Steinbrenner left Manhattan for Tampa yesterday afternoon, general partner Steve Swindal, Steinbrenner's son-in-law, is in New York today. It's believed Swindal and Torre, who have a solid relationship after negotiating Torre's latest contract, will meet in the morning.

"It looks good for Joe,'' a source said.

Steinbrenner - believed to have had a meeting with general manager Brian Cashman at his midtown hotel yesterday - decided to keep Torre after two days of canvassing his Inner Circle about the positives and negatives of firing Torre and bringing in Lou Piniella.

So if they keep Torre, it can only increast the likelihood of A-Rod getting dealt.

And here's an example of a possible A-Rod deal;

The question is, would it be worth sending, let's say, Ervin Santana, Chone Figgins and Nick Adenhart, the club's finest minor-league pitching prospect, to the Steinbrenners for Rodriguez?

In our terms that's probably B-Mac, Josh Fields and Lance Broadway.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
This seems to be the White Sox Catch All-Thread at the moment, so I'll post this here.

The White Sox went from 9th to 3rd in Runs and 1st to 10th in ERA from 2005 to 2006. It's clear that the pitching was a major problem, so I am in no way placing much blame on the offensive side of things, however...

When you have a line-up with Konerko, Thome, and Dye would you rather surround them with players who get on base or guys who play all or nothing style baseball as the White Sox had.

I ask this because everybody seems so high on Crede here, but if the White Sox 7-8-9 hadn't gotten on base at such a low clip (.323, .290, .257 respectively) I happen to believe that this team would have been a better all around baseball team.

Rally Crede, his great defense, I'm trying not to be close minded here, I just happen to think in a line-up full of big boppers, you need the table setters to, and the demise of the 2006 White Sox could be somewhat credited to the lack of the Bill Mueller's for the Red Sox in '04, the Castillo's and Lowell's of the '03 Marlins, the David Eckstein's and Scott Spiezio's of the '02 Angels and so on..

Thoughts.

if you're talking about table-setters, then the issue lies in Pods. our 7-8-9 hitters are better than last year with Crede's emergence making up for Anderson/Mackowiak taking Rowand's place. our 7-8-9 hitters' OBP in 2005 wasn't any better than that .323, .290, .257 you spoke of. furthermore, the only real differences in the lineup were Thome instead of Everett, Crede hitting and Anderson/Mackowiak for Rowand. Rowand grounded into a lot of double plays, and Everett was never that integral in small-ball.

Its highly unlikely White Sox hitters will be able to collectively match their offensive totals in 2007, and their collective outburst in 2006 wasn't enough to get them in the playoffs. KW better improve the pitching before he does anything else. I would love to see ARod with the White Sox, but there are more pressing needs at the moment.

Brian (Villanova, PA)

Please answer this, how cool would it be if the Yankees decided to go with Arod and move him to Shortstop and traded Jeter to another team, then he came back and helped his new team beat the Yankees in the playoffs? Then Jeter could finally be loved by non-yankee fans, this has to happen

ROB NEYER

Well, leaving aside for a moment that the Yankees would not trade Cap'n Jetes, I don't think Rodriguez can play shortstop any more. Not unless he lost some weight and dedicated himself to learning shortstop again.

MG, NYC

Will A-rod get moved?

ROB NEYER

I think either he or Torre has to go. Dropping the 2005 MVP to eighth in the batting order was a big mistake, and I don't see how those two coexist in 2007.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
You're right, Steff. All signs point to Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter being best of friends.

What signs point to them NOT being friends...?

It's funny to read though. Just like those folks with the voices of every player that's ever played for the Sox hating Frank in their heads.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What signs point to them NOT being friends...?

It's funny to read though. Just like those folks with the voices of every player that's ever played for the Sox hating Frank in their heads.

He could very well be just a terrible captain, but not defending him, not righting the ship that was Alex Rodriguez, etc. all point to me thinking they weren't best of friends. Perhaps "hate" was the wrong word, used because that Caple article used it, if im not mistaken.. Hell, it was 4 in the morning..

The first sign of Jeter being a horrible leader was his unwillingness to move to 3B after the Yankees acquired a superior defensive SS. I can't believe this isn't brought up more often, it was an incredibly selfish move and actually hurt the Yankees in the longrun.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 12:42 PM)
Didn't they stop being close friends when jeter was offended by comments a-rod made basically saying that jeter wasn't the power hitter and captain a-rod is capable of being?

I'll call Jeter and ask...

;)

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
He could very well be just a terrible captain, but not defending him, not righting the ship that was Alex Rodriguez, etc. all point to me thinking they weren't best of friends. Perhaps "hate" was the wrong word, used because that Caple article used it, if im not mistaken.. Hell, it was 4 in the morning..

I understand and I realize all that can be commented on is what's written. Save the fact that they hang out a lot in NY, and always on the road. I just can't imagine guys who really don't like each other would hang out so much. IMO, it's a silly and mostly fabricated drama. No rift is boring.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
The first sign of Jeter being a horrible leader was his unwillingness to move to 3B after the Yankees acquired a superior defensive SS. I can't believe this isn't brought up more often, it was an incredibly selfish move and actually hurt the Yankees in the longrun.

Great point!! I've been preaching this too. Except I think Jeter would have had to move to 2nd, just would have been a better fit. :bang laughing giddily at my desk because it's great to see someone else push this point!!

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
I'll call Jeter and ask...

;)

I understand and I realize all that can be commented on is what's written. Save the fact that they hang out a lot in NY, and always on the road. I just can't imagine guys who really don't like each other would hang out so much. IMO, it's a silly and mostly fabricated drama. No rift is boring.

According to the NY media they don't hang out at all. I read at least 3 articles the past few days which state Jeter can't stand ARod, and most of it comes from his comments a few years ago. In fact, a few writers are really giving it to Jeter now for not supporting ARod publicly when he was booed unmercifully this season, even calling him a bad captain. They pointed out that he defended Giambi with his steroid controversy. The Yankees are a mess, but nothing a few blank checks can't clean up.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 02:20 PM)
According to the NY media they don't hang out at all. I read at least 3 articles the past few days which state Jeter can't stand ARod, and most of it comes from his comments a few years ago. In fact, a few writers are really giving it to Jeter now for not supporting ARod publicly when he was booed unmercifully this season, even calling him a bad captain. They pointed out that he defended Giambi with his steroid controversy. The Yankees are a mess, but nothing a few blank checks can't clean up.

Jeter is the devil.

/thread.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 11:45 PM)
Taken off the AP wire tonight. You still want A-Rod?? He is a loser. Paid too much. Give me a hard worker anyday.

The Hackensack Record

They talk about pinstripe tradition, but the roster is plagued by petty rivalries and jealousies that act as a cancer in the postseason.

Derek Jeter can’t stand Alex Rodriguez and refuses to come to his defense. Mike Mussina doesn’t like A-Rod, either, although, come to think of it, the Stanford grad hasn’t much use for any of his teammates. No one talks to Johnson. Everyone thinks Carl Pavano is a joke. The Yankees’ best pitcher, Chien-Ming Wang, is isolated by his limited knowledge of English.

On and on, the list of dysfunctions keeps going. Instead of a dynasty, the Yankees have become a newer version of the Braves — consistently outplayed by younger, hungrier teams such as the Diamondbacks (2001), the Angels (2002 and 2004), the Marlins (2003) and now the Tigers.

Steinbrenner has only two choices now: He can fire Torre or trade A-Rod. They’re the ones who must answer to the Yankees’ consistent underachievement.

By all accounts, The Boss already has decided it’s Torre who’ll go, ready to replace him with Lou Piniella

do i dare open up the can of worms about how chemistry doesn't equal wins?

Here's what it would cost to get A-Rod (If you want to know what I call him, PM me):

1. 1 (one) arm.

2. 1 (one) leg.

3. 1 (one) shirt off our backs.

4. 1 (one) of a guy's "twins".

5. All the tea in China.

6. The (entire) farm (system).

7. All of our souls.

QUOTE(fullcollapse @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 02:58 PM)
do i dare open up the can of worms about how chemistry doesn't equal wins?

No, Jimmy Piersall, you can't :D .

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
Meh, what else he supposed to say? "We are going to explore all avenues in which we can trade Alex Rodriguez."?

Im sure he was asked the question, and just like Williams would say about Thome or Konerko, or whoever, he stood by one of his guys.

Just like Jeter.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
Meh, what else he supposed to say? "We are going to explore all avenues in which we can trade Alex Rodriguez."?

Im sure he was asked the question, and just like Williams would say about Thome or Konerko, or whoever, he stood by one of his guys.

This is a little different IMO. ARod evidently has too much pride to ask for a trade, and now that Cashman has said he wouldn't trade him, he would look like a liar if he did, unless he was able to use the "a deal too good to pass up" excuse, which IMO is too rich for the Sox blood, because he couldn't possibly say that about a deal involving one of the greatest players of all time and in his prime being moved for some of the names being thrown around here.

BTW, call Guiness, that was the longest sentence of all time.

Edited by Dick Allen