A-Rod, what's the asking price

BobDylan

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
Interesting proposal, Jason.

If the White Sox are going to make a big splash this offseason, Ramirez's name has to be considered.

Do you think the BoSox would consider that? I'm assuming they may finally act on the usual Manny wants to be traded off-season dilemma and I'd like to think that Buehrle is the top of guy that they'd love to get in return for Manny. Plus, based on what I've heard from a few BoSox fans, they really don't want anything to do with Coco Crisp (who had a down season, but would still look a lot better at the top of the order than Pods).

Its pretty clear they'll need pitching and while Buehrle is coming off a bad year, its not like he's over the hill or anything. Heck, that could turn into a total coup if Buehrle were to respond and pitch like the Buehrle Sox fans came to love.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many Red Sox fans are ignorant, as are any in such a large fan base. In my opinion, Crisp's down year can be attributed to his hurt wrist all season. Somehow in Spring Training he came out and looked like a future Hall of Famer and then he gets injured and he struggles.

I could definitly see Manny being traded this offseason, and I can see them trading him to the White Sox if it were Buehrle who was involved, nonetheless Crisp won't be easy to get.

He's probably the Red Sox most valuable player along with Josh Beckett in terms of youth, effectiveness, and cost. Of course Ortiz isn't on the market. They'll give him another chance unless a can't miss offer comes by.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
Does anyone even realize how much we'd help the Yankees? Suddenly a team with a 200 million dollar payroll has a 500,000 dollar starter? In addition to Hughes upcoming promotion and Wang's salary, that's a relatively cheap threesome. They'll have an abundance of money to spend wisely. I believe Cashman and company realize the importance of quality signings now. Just as they understand how crucial a contributing minor league system is.

Don't forget Clippard, everyone loves to talk about Hughes and rightfully so but the yankees are about to have a real talented young starting staff by mid '07 early '08

Tyler Clippard RHP born 02/14/1985 - 3.53 ERA 1.06WHIP 166.1IP 175SO/55BB is pretty impressive.

Their future rotation of

Matz/Zito

Wang

Hughes

Clippard

arm aquired when they deal alex is pretty impressive.

Hell, Wang, Hughes & Clippard is pretty impressive in itself.

The rumor about the Japanese pitcher is Seattle is willing to post $30 million. I'm sure he'll be great, but between what it will cost to negotiate with him and his contract, he's almost into Roger Clemens territory, and JR won't go more than 3 years with pitching so posting could be a huge waste of money, sort of like Javier Vazquez.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
Don't forget just what a good baseball player ARod is, it gets lost in the NY media. If the White Sox can get him for BMac and Crede, and they can afford him I say do it.

Me too, as long as they have faith in Fields to develop at the pro-level.

QUOTE(knightni @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 01:39 AM)
With what?

Felix Pie, Sean Marshall and some magic beans?

The Sox have mlb talent to replace ARod on the Yankees mlb roster.

Agreed. The cubs have nothing of interest aside from Zambrano, and the cubs aren't that stupid, are they? lol

As the article states the cubs will be expanding the payroll, I expect them to land Soriano or Lee and hopefully retain Pierre(for our sake) and Schmidt or Pettitte, that along with a healthy Lee should be enough in the quagmire that is the NL Central.

I also see Aramis Opting out for FA and heading to the angels.

The Cubs would probably have to include the likes of Ramirez, Rich Hill and Scott Eyre to at least get the Yanks thinking about an offer.

But I'm still on the Garcia and Crede for A-Rod deal bandwagon if there's going to be a deal done here.

QUOTE(knightni @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 01:39 AM)
With what?

Felix Pie, Sean Marshall and some magic beans?

The Sox have mlb talent to replace ARod on the Yankees mlb roster.

The tribune hype machine is in full motion, with Lou Pinella being the greatest manager ever, to Jim Hnedry aquiring the best FA's and making ridiculous trades.

I think KW is actually making a strong push for him. I can't believe he is the first GM to call about him. If New York would be willing to pay some of his ridiculous salary like Texas for him already. Crede and Garcia I might have to agree to that. A-Rod's defense might not be as good as Crede's but, A-Rod is probably one of the top 3 best hitters of all time. But does this team need another power hitter?!? Can Arod steal bases? Because what we need is more speed.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 10:18 AM)
I think KW is actually making a strong push for him. I can't believe he is the first GM to call about him. If New York would be willing to pay some of his ridiculous salary like Texas for him already. Crede and Garcia I might have to agree to that. A-Rod's defense might not be as good as Crede's but, A-Rod is probably one of the top 3 best hitters of all time. But does this team need another power hitter?!? Can Arod steal bases? Because what we need is more speed.

I honestly think A-Rod would go back to SS. And they would either sign a FA or bring up Josh Fields. Also, there's a pitcher out there we may want to consider: Doug Davis. had a down year this year, but had a hell of a year last year. Just throwing that out there.

Oh yeah, and Jason...NO TO MANNY! Pods was difficult enough to watch in LF...I couldn't even imagine watching Manny being Manny.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 10:18 AM)
But does this team need another power hitter?!? Can Arod steal bases? Because what we need is more speed.

ARod putting up .310 50 150 .420/.600/1.020 will make you forget about the Sox surplus of power hitters.

ARod can steal bases, as Balta pointed out.

Stolen bases are not always a good judge of speed. Carlos Lee's stolen 61 bases over the past 4 years...Carlos Lee is not fast.

I posted this over at WSI but i was wondering what everyone here thinks.

Anyone else think that Zambrano coming to the AL would make him the new Josh Beckett? He would no longer be able to bean/walk the #7 hitter to face a weak hitting catcher, and then an equally weak hitting pitcher to get out of a Jam. I have a hard time seeing him being successful in an organization like the Yankees where the FO, fan base and media puts accountability on their players, look what he did on a 96 loss cub team.

Zambrano's '06

ERA 3.41

WHIP 1.29

BAA .208

IP 214

115BB/210SO with 9HBP

20HRs

GO/AO 1.28

Beckett's '05

ERA 3.37

WHIP 1.18

BAA .234

IP 178.2

58BB/166SO with 7HBP

14HRs

GO/AO 1.14

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 01:42 AM)
The Cubs would probably have to include the likes of Ramirez, Rich Hill and Scott Eyre to at least get the Yanks thinking about an offer.

But I'm still on the Garcia and Crede for A-Rod deal bandwagon if there's going to be a deal done here.

Isn't Ramirez expected to buy out of his contract and become a free agent? I know the talk out here is the Angels may very well make a push at signing Aramis.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 08:44 AM)
I honestly think A-Rod would go back to SS. And they would either sign a FA or bring up Josh Fields. Also, there's a pitcher out there we may want to consider: Doug Davis. had a down year this year, but had a hell of a year last year. Just throwing that out there.

Oh yeah, and Jason...NO TO MANNY! Pods was difficult enough to watch in LF...I couldn't even imagine watching Manny being Manny.

Manny is vastly superior to Pods in lf. The only major knock when it comes to Manny's defense is whether he tries. When he does try (which contrary to popular belief is most of the time) he's actually pretty darn solid out there. Now I don't know how he'd do having to cover a bit more ground (not having the monster) but he is very very good at getting off quick and accurate throws and actually throwing guys out.

I watched a lot of Manny in LF this past year and my opinion of his defense greatly changed and I now thing he's a better fielder than anyone gives him credit for.

QUOTE(beautox @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 09:22 AM)
I posted this over at WSI but i was wondering what everyone here thinks.

Anyone else think that Zambrano coming to the AL would make him the new Josh Beckett? He would no longer be able to bean/walk the #7 hitter to face a weak hitting catcher, and then an equally weak hitting pitcher to get out of a Jam. I have a hard time seeing him being successful in an organization like the Yankees where the FO, fan base and media puts accountability on their players, look what he did on a 96 loss cub team.

Zambrano's '06

ERA 3.41

WHIP 1.29

BAA .208

IP 214

115BB/210SO with 9HBP

20HRs

GO/AO 1.28

Beckett's '05

ERA 3.37

WHIP 1.18

BAA .234

IP 178.2

58BB/166SO with 7HBP

14HRs

GO/AO 1.14

Are you kidding me. Zambrano is one of the more ridiculously great pitchers in the game. Aside from Santana, I think he's the best pitcher in baseball. Plus he's a total beast/work horse.

Lou Pinella = Dusty Baker....

I think Pinella is actually a better manager, but what I'm getting at is he's a PR tool for the Cubs, and they have to pay him less than a marquee player.

If A-Rod is available there will likely be many teams interested (LAD, LAA, probably CHW), so Cubs fans who think the Cubs will just dictate the terms to NYY and they'll land him are sorely mistaken

Edited by SoxFan562004

Zambrano can't pitch when's there's a DH in the lineup. He likes to walk or bean guys to have the pitcher K with the bases loaded.

I showed this to the nyyfans:

I've preached this for years to my diehard Cub fan friends, but it has fallen on deaf ears.

Zambrano likes to walk or hit batters in order to face the .200 hitting NL catcher batting 8th, or the pitcher. I can't count how many times I have seen him walk the bases loaded to strikeout the pitcher getting out of the jam. And then of course he follows it up with a moonwalk or some other Pony league act.

Take a look at his career numbers in AL parks where he can't hide behind the weak catcher batting #8 or the pitcher.

Yankee Stadium: 6.1 IP, 2.37 WHIP, 8.53 ERA

USCF: 19.1 IP in 4 games (3 starts), 1.71 WHIP, 6.05 ERA

@Baltimore: 2 IP, 3.00 WHIP, 13.5 ERA

@Cle, 6 IP, 1.50 WHIP, 3 ERA

In 6 starts in AL Parks, he has managed to go 33.2 innings, with a 1.87 WHIP and a 6.42 ERA

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
Are you kidding me. Zambrano is one of the more ridiculously great pitchers in the game. Aside from Santana, I think he's the best pitcher in baseball. Plus he's a total beast/work horse.

Those numbers scream to me that he will get eaten alive in the AL, and for further proof look at his splits against AL teams. I will say this again Zambrano to the AL = Josh Beckett x 2, and which Santana are you talkin about, I surely hope Ervin; because if your talking about Johan I'm at a loss for words.

EDIT: spelling.

On another note, if Alex does void his NTC doesn't an opition year get added onto his contract because of the CBA just like Thome and Vazquez? so we would have him under contract till 2011?

Edited by beautox

QUOTE(beautox @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 10:09 AM)
Those numbers scream to me that he will get eaten alive in the AL, and for further proof look at his splits against AL teams. I will say this again Zambrano to the AL = Josh Beckett x 2, and which Santana are you talkin about, I surely hope Ervin; because if your talking about Johan I'm at a loss for words.

EDIT: spelling.

On another note, if Alex does void his NTC doesn't an opition year get added onto his contract because of the CBA just like Thome and Vazquez? so we would have him under contract till 2011?

I will point out that Beckett pitched in a notorious pitchers park while Carlos has done what he has in a hitters park.