A-Rod, what's the asking price

BobDylan

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BoDog is taking bets...

What team will Alex Rodriguez be traded to? 

Los Angeles Angels 3/1

Boston Red Sox 5/1

St. Louis Cardinals 9/2

Philadelphia Phillies 9/1

Chicago White Sox 7/1

Chicago Cubs 8/1

Seattle Mariners 11/1

Los Angeles Dodgers 9/1

Atlanta Braves 7/1

Field 7/2

I don't understand why the Red Sox have better odds than the White Sox. I suppose it's just because that's what people are betting, like betting the Cubs to win the WS.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 01:14 AM)
BoDog is taking bets...

What team will Alex Rodriguez be traded to? 

Los Angeles Angels 3/1

Boston Red Sox 5/1

St. Louis Cardinals 9/2

Philadelphia Phillies 9/1

Chicago White Sox 7/1

Chicago Cubs 8/1

Seattle Mariners 11/1

Los Angeles Dodgers 9/1

Atlanta Braves 7/1

Field 7/2

I don't understand why the Red Sox have better odds than the White Sox. I suppose it's just because that's what people are betting, like betting the Cubs to win the WS.

I guess the Cards and Phillies could land him but they have much more pressing needs and a ton more holes than the Angels or Sox to fill. I don't think Alex would be a great fit at either of those places either because of the circumstances.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 01:45 AM)
Me and my pessimistic mindset. However, we have more pitching to offer than anybody and could afford that kind of move. I just don't want to think about it and get all excited, to be perfectly honest. lol.

But not much young pitching. Which the Angels do have. I'm sure we'll be involved, but I have a hard time seeing us getting Rodriguez. I'd be SO damn happy to be wrong, though. KENNY, MAKE ME WRONG!!!!!

QUOTE(knightni @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 02:12 AM)
I don't want to sound callous here, but the Yankees could use a SP now.

Garcia or (gulp) Buehrle would fit there I bet.

With that rf porch, do they focus on Buehrle or figure that Zito + Unit is enough of that whole business?

I'm wonder one thing...

When the hell was the last time the Angels traded for a big time player?

I went back as far as 1998, because it's late as hell...but I settled on Gregg Jeffries. They've traded big contracts(Finley, Vaughn, Bottenfield), and they've traded big names(Edmonds, Guillen)...but most of their trades have been minor deals. Stoneman has also been criticized in the past as being a little gunshy, so it just makes me wonder how serious they are.

Then again, there's never been a name as big as ARod on the market. We'll see, if ARod is made available for trade in the offseason, if Anaheim truly is interested.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 03:02 AM)
I'm wonder one thing...

I went back as far as 1998, because it's late as hell...but I settled on Gregg Jeffries. They've traded big contracts(Finley, Vaughn, Bottenfield), and they've traded big names(Edmonds, Guillen)...but most of their trades have been minor deals. Stoneman has also been criticized in the past as being a little gunshy, so it just makes me wonder how serious they are.

Then again, there's never been a name as big as ARod on the market. We'll see, if ARod is made available for trade in the offseason, if Anaheim truly is interested.

If the Angels go for A-Rod, it won't be Stoneman that makes the final decision, it'll be Arte Moreno. He wants to win and he's willing to spend to do it.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 08:43 AM)
If the Angels go for A-Rod, it won't be Stoneman that makes the final decision, it'll be Arte Moreno. He wants to win and he's willing to spend to do it.

I'm not so sure about that...it's been Stoneman who has reportedly been the one making the decisions about whether or not to move their young talent resources, and thus far he's been very unwilling to do it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 10:47 AM)
I'm not so sure about that...it's been Stoneman who has reportedly been the one making the decisions about whether or not to move their young talent resources, and thus far he's been very unwilling to do it.

I understand what you are saying, but with the lack of protection for Vlad, and the unwillingness of Stoneman to do, well, anything the last couple of years, I would imagine Arte would step in and demand Stoneman make it work. Even if he has to give up some of that young talent. And honestly, a lot of those young players haven't lived up to their potential. Not saying they won't, but so far, not so good.

Not sure if it was posted already...

Where to, Alex?

Time has come for embattled Yankee to accept trade

It's time for Alex Rodriguez to start thinking seriously about accepting a trade out of New York. For his own sake, he should.

Someone close to A-Rod said he thought he could live with Joe Torre "for a year," which happens to be exactly what remains on Torre's contract. But it's apparent now that he'd prefer not to. And Torre has made it clear that, at the very least, Rodriguez is a puzzle he can't figure out. (Torre also has told at least one executive with another club I know that A-Rod is the problem and he wants A-Rod gone.)

Rodriguez loves New York and wants to succeed in New York. He is also a key to them getting into the postseason, as he's averaged 40 dingers playing in Yankee Stadium his three years. So he'd be a loss. But all anyone remembers in New York is the postseason.

The last thing A-Rod wants is to leave as a more talented Ed Whitson or Bobby Bonilla or Kenny Rogers, three who failed to make it in New York. And he has a no-trade clause to ensure he can stay where he's not wanted (or where, if he is, folks have a funny way of showing it).

For some reason, Rodriguez doesn't have the support of a lot of fans, much of the media, his former friend Derek Jeter or Torre, who insulted A-Rod by batting him eighth in a desperation move and has spoken publicly and openly about A-Rod's alleged weaknesses, something he normally is unwilling to do.

Personally, I don't get it. Rodriguez is a gentleman who works his tail off and stays out of trouble. But it's time to deal with the reality. At the very least, the major parties involved -- Rodriguez, Torre, GM Brian Cashman and agent Scott Boras -- need to hash things out.

Cashman, one of a couple of top Yankees execs who worked hard to save Torre's job, said yesterday that he "fully expects Alex to be here" next year. But that is certainly much less than a guarantee. In past interviews, Cashman has been much more definitive about it. It was obvious to everyone in the room yesterday: Torre's return has diminished A-Rod's chances to do the same.

The Rodriguez issue was said not to be part of the two-day debate that resulted in a 12th year for Torre. But the reality now is that the Yankees would only be increasing the soap opera if they brought A-Rod back. It might have worked in New York for Rodriguez with Lou Piniella, his longtime mentor. But George Steinbrenner, whose first inclination was to turn to Piniella but who is obviously "mellowing," in the words of one of his underlings, eventually took Cashman's word that this year's failure wasn't Torre's fault. And that the previous five straight failures supposedly weren't Torre's fault either.

One thing's for sure: Torre failed Rodriguez.

But ultimately, of course, Rodriguez has to look in the mirror too. He has failed in the clutch, and if he returns, it's going to be all about him again. Which is to his detriment, and to the team's. Unwittingly and unhappily, he has become the focus and a distraction.

So we'd better start considering the possibilities. Here are the pros and cons of the possible landing spots and some teams that have no chance:

1. Angels. They have already inquired about A-Rod, so you know they're interested. Rodriguez could be reenergized by playing in a beautiful locale, in a wonderful ballpark and for a great owner and manager. Rodriguez relishes his day-trips to Miami with his wife and infant daughter, so moving cross-country would be a drawback. But the Angels, with owner Arte Moreno promising something "major," definitely are a contender, and probably a player for A-Rod.

2. Dodgers. Another team that's sure to be interested. The Dodgers are about to lose third baseman Bill Mueller, whose ravaged knees won't allow him to play. And they lack power. Again, the distance is the drawback.

3. Orioles. They're sure to be in there making a pitch. And guess what? Rodriguez may be the one star player with a soft spot for the Orioles, who already have investigated trading Miguel Tejada. He grew up idolizing Cal Ripken Jr., and maybe he could play shortstop for the O's. The ballpark isn't a bad place to hit, either. But they're a perennial loser, and Rodriguez may not want to return to the second division.

4. Cubs. They have the money, and maybe if they hire Piniella (reportedly he's one of three or four top candidates), he'd consider it. Winning on the North Side of Chicago would be magical, but it's obviously proven difficult.

5. Tigers. Owner Mike Ilitch has succeeded by gathering Boras' clients at high prices, in some cases over GM Dave Dombrowski's objections (i.e. Magglio Ordoñez, Ivan Rodriguez, Rogers), and they're obviously pretty darned good, as A-Rod may have noticed. It's probably a long shot, but here's another plus: He wouldn't have to face Justin Verlander and Joel Zumaya anymore.

6. Astros. They've been trying hard for Miguel Tejada and Alfonso Soriano and potentially have about $30 million coming off the books. But it's hard to picture A-Rod back in Texas, isn't it?

7. Braves. The cost-conscious team would have to trade off several pieces (maybe Andruw Jones to start) to even think about it. But they're almost always a playoff team, and Rodriguez might have gone there last time except they wouldn't give him a no-trade clause. Proximity to Miami is a plus.

8. Mariners. Perhaps Boras could arrange a trade of high-priced third basemen. The Mariners seemed willing to part with Adrian Beltre before he got hot toward the end of the year. A-Rod beat it out of Seattle fast, but their ownership is quite a bit more generous these day. Still, probably a pipe dream.

9. White Sox. This one has been advanced on TV, but the reality is that Rodriguez and manager Ozzie Guillen like each other even less than Rodriguez and Torre do. Don't forget, Guillen ripped A-Rod for playing for Team USA, and their subsequent public niceties were just fakery. GM Ken Williams is very creative, and if they can't lock up Joe Crede, perhaps they could trade him in a package for A-Rod. Still, a major long shot.

10. Marlins. This fairy-tale scenario is mentioned because of A-Rod's roots and home. But Florida can barely afford Dontrelle Willis. No joke, A-Rod made about $10 million more than the entire Marlins team. Really, no chance of this happening.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...coop/index.html

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 03:02 AM)
I'm wonder one thing...

in that last paragraph you bring up something i never thought of before. obviously merano has started to wage war on the dodgers and the la area, what a better way to butts in the seats and sway young children to be angels fans that to go get arod. i think it is usually good for an owner to stay out of the way of the gm, since owners usually know little to nothing about baseball. On the other hand, how many chances do you have to get someone who is probably one of the best players of an era.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
I think a Wild Card could be the Giants...

I could imagine seeing that, but beyond Cain, what COULD they give up that the Yanks would be interested in?

I don't see enough talent from San Fran's standpoint to justify the Yankees making a trade. As far as I can tell, Sabean has burned up nearly all the resources that team has.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 08:47 AM)

Moreno is putting a lot more pressure on him now though. They are feeling the pressure of missing out on the playoffs.

FWIW my baseball expert co-worker said today he thinks A-Rod to the White Sox makes perfect sense.

He says you'd trade Crede and Garcia, put Fields at third and make Uribe a utility guy who can cover SS or second base.

Me? I have no idea how we'll end up but thought I'd post his thoughts here.

My view on this has changed about 10 times, but I think, getting Furcal from the Dodgers would be a better fit for this team. We need a leadoff hitter, and a upgrade at SS, along with pitching. That is going to be hard to get all in one offseason. Getting Furcal would solve 2 of the needs. He would leadoff, and if i am not mistaking he is a really good defensive SS. Then we could turn our focus on the most importaint thing in winning baseball and that is pitching. I would love to sign Walker to be the lefty out of the pen, and SPier to be the 7th/8th inning guy to go along with Thorton and MacDougal. Heager could be the last man in the pen, unless KW trys to package a couple starters for a better starter and bullpen arm. Is that even possable?

I would love a lineup of

Furcal--SS

Iguchi--2B

Dye--RF

Thome--DH

Konerko--1B

Crede--3B

AJ--C

Anderson--CF

Pierre--LF

Make a move or two with the pitching and were all set.

Just my 2 cents.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
Hey SoxPride56 I like your lineup; my only beef is: do we want the Brian Anderson experiment back? I'm not sure I can live through another season with the nine hole.

I was thinking the same thing as I put that, but you have to belive with Anderson being so young and cheap, he will be back for atleast the start of the year. IF he doesnt do well, I am sure there will be a backup plan, like Sweeney or someone. I just hope if Anderson does struggle, we do not put Mackowiak in CF, that didnt work in 06, and why would it work in 07?

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
Hey SoxPride56 I like your lineup; my only beef is: do we want the Brian Anderson experiment back? I'm not sure I can live through another season with the nine hole.

100% absolutely. His defense alone makes him worth putting in the 9 hole, as long as someone amputates one of Rob Mackowiak's legs so Ozzie doesn't decide to platoon them.

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
My view on this has changed about 10 times, but I think, getting Furcal from the Dodgers would be a better fit for this team. We need a leadoff hitter, and a upgrade at SS, along with pitching. That is going to be hard to get all in one offseason. Getting Furcal would solve 2 of the needs. He would leadoff, and if i am not mistaking he is a really good defensive SS. Then we could turn our focus on the most importaint thing in winning baseball and that is pitching. I would love to sign Walker to be the lefty out of the pen, and SPier to be the 7th/8th inning guy to go along with Thorton and MacDougal. Heager could be the last man in the pen, unless KW trys to package a couple starters for a better starter and bullpen arm. Is that even possable?

I would love a lineup of

Furcal--SS

Iguchi--2B

Dye--RF

Thome--DH

Konerko--1B

Crede--3B

AJ--C

Anderson--CF

Pierre--LF

Make a move or two with the pitching and were all set.

Just my 2 cents.

Dodgers are not moving Furcal a couple years into his free-agent deal, and with them making the playoffs. Try again....