A-Rod, what's the asking price

BobDylan

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it takes Brandon then forget about it. BTW, it's obviously real early so I can definitely see why NY would try to get Brandon included right now. That doesn't automatically mean a month or two from now that they won't rethink the stance on taking the other 3 pitchers.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 08:19 AM)
If it takes Brandon then forget about it. BTW, it's obviously real early so I can definitely see why NY would try to get Brandon included right now. That doesn't automatically mean a month or two from now that they won't rethink the stance on taking the other 3 pitchers.

Don't you find it interesting that just about everyone in baseball, even the Yankees where money isn't an issue, find McCarthy a lot more attractive than any of the other members of the greatest rotation ever assembled. Maybe just maybe Ozzie is wrong, and BMac is a good starting pitcher.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
Don't you find it interesting that just about everyone in baseball, even the Yankees where money isn't an issue, find McCarthy a lot more attractive than any of the other members of the greatest rotation ever assembled. Maybe just maybe Ozzie is wrong, and BMac is a good starting pitcher.

didn't you get the memo dick, hes not the next black jack /sarcasm

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)

I've been saying this forever but he's a special pitcher imo and he'll get a chance to prove that this season.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)

Will you stop!! If you know so much more than Ozzie, then why aren't you the manager?

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will you stop!! If you know so much more than Ozzie, then why aren't you the manager?

Well, with all due respect, him or anyone else on here isn't a manager because we don't have the same oppurtunities and connections than Ozzie Guillen, someone who played the game and has all the connections in the world.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
Well, with all due respect, him or anyone else on here isn't a manager because we don't have the same oppurtunities and connections than Ozzie Guillen, someone who played the game and has all the connections in the world.

I'm pretty sure fathom was just joking around.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)

I couldn't have been more sarcastic.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)

You forgot talent. But yeah, you are right.

You don't need to replace A-Rod if you are the Yankees. Crede's defense would be enough. They've got enough mashers in that lineup so if Crede hit .250 - .260 with 20 and 70, I think they would take that. He would make the whole left side of that infield better and probably still be the best SS on that team as well as the best 3B.

So, Crede, Broadway and [insert starting pitcher here] wouldn't be that bad of a trade. I think that's pretty even. Maybe even throw in another prospect or two to get one and cash back.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 09:56 AM)
You don't need to replace A-Rod if you are the Yankees. Crede's defense would be enough. They've got enough mashers in that lineup so if Crede hit .250 - .260 with 20 and 70, I think they would take that. He would make the whole left side of that infield better and probably still be the best SS on that team as well as the best 3B.

So, Crede, Broadway and [insert starting pitcher here] wouldn't be that bad of a trade. I think that's pretty even. Maybe even throw in another prospect or two to get one and cash back.

Forget cash, i want Melky Cabrera, that kid is going to be a stud, its a shame every yankee OFer has a complete NTC.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 06:19 AM)

If we gave up Brandon but were willing to spend the extra money (in addition to our current payroll) on Arod without having to make any other major changes than I'd be willing to do that deal. The Yanks would obviously need to send a lot of money our way and if we gave up anything else I'd be talking about getting a good prospect in return from the Yanks.

There is no guarantee Bmac is legit, there is a guarantee that Arod (when healthy and he's been healthy throughout his career) will be one of the 5 best position players in baseball year in year out.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
If we gave up Brandon but were willing to spend the extra money (in addition to our current payroll) on Arod without having to make any other major changes than I'd be willing to do that deal. The Yanks would obviously need to send a lot of money our way and if we gave up anything else I'd be talking about getting a good prospect in return from the Yanks.

There is no guarantee Bmac is legit, there is a guarantee that Arod (when healthy and he's been healthy throughout his career) will be one of the 5 best position players in baseball year in year out.

Heres the question, would you rather trade those pieces for A-rod or spend the same amount of money on Matsuzaka?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
Heres the question, would you rather trade those pieces for A-rod or spend the same amount of money on Matsuzaka?

I'd rather overpay for Matsuzaka.

Anyone can suggest to me "Arod has proven himself at the major league level," or "Daisuke dominated inferior Japanese talent," but I personally prioritize starting pitching over offense. His presence could make it easier to absorb the lost of several starters (Buehrle?) in a season or two.

I've said it many times before, offense can be compensated across a diamond. For Rodriguez's pricetag, we could duplicate his production across two players. Cut his numbers in half, and expecting two FA's or minor league players to 15-20 HR's and 70 RBI's becomes a realistic expectation. Uribe does that alone.

If McCarthy is traded, we're once again depending upon the same five starters from last season to rebound. That's ridiculous, IMO. I wouldn't understand how Williams realized his 2005 rotation needed an upgrade, yet after 2006 -- when it was obvious there was flaws -- trades away McCarthy. It wouldn't make a damn bit of sense.

Does anyone even realize how much we'd help the Yankees? Suddenly a team with a 200 million dollar payroll has a 500,000 dollar starter? In addition to Hughes upcoming promotion and Wang's salary, that's a relatively cheap threesome. They'll have an abundance of money to spend wisely. I believe Cashman and company realize the importance of quality signings now. Just as they understand how crucial a contributing minor league system is.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
I'd rather overpay for Matsuzaka.

Anyone can suggest to me "Arod has proven himself at the major league level," or "Daisuke dominated inferior Japanese talent," but I personally prioritize starting pitching over offense. His presence could make it easier to absorb the lost of several starters (Buehrle?) in a season or two.

I've said it many times before, offense can be compensated across a diamond. For Rodriguez's pricetag, we could duplicate his production across two players. Cut his numbers in half, and expecting two FA's or minor league players to 15-20 HR's and 70 RBI's becomes a realistic expectation. Uribe does that alone.

If McCarthy is traded, we're once again depending upon the same five starters from last season to rebound. That's ridiculous, IMO. I wouldn't understand how Williams realized his 2005 rotation needed an upgrade, yet after 2006 -- when it was obvious there was flaws -- trades away McCarthy. It wouldn't make a damn bit of sense.

Does anyone even realize how much we'd help the Yankees? Suddenly a team with a 200 million dollar payroll has a 500,000 dollar starter? In addition to Hughes upcoming promotion and Wang's salary, that's a relatively cheap threesome. They'll have an abundance of money to spend wisely. I believe Cashman and company realize the importance of quality signings now. Just as they understand how crucial a contributing minor league system is.

Agreed. Matsu is 26 years old and has been dominating professionals in and out of Japan. I would rather overpay for his talents for the next several years, than take on A-rod for more money.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)

The thing is the Sox wouldn't do that. I think if they got someone like Arod, it would be a guy that JR banks on using as the face of the franchise in the post world series era. The type of guy we market around, the type of guy we use to continue building positive PR in the city and as a whole turning this franchise into being more than just that 2nd baseball team in Chicago.

However, logically speaking if we were willing to do both, I'd probably opt for Matsuzuka. But whose to say we can't pick up Arod and Matsuzuka while eventually landing Arod for a package involving one of Garcia/Buehrle/Vazquez and Josh Fields.

Than in turn we swing another deal involving one of those remaining arms to another team for a prospect or two (maybe nothing stellar) but more of a financial wash). Mix that with the eventual non-tender of Pods (or trade) and a move of Uribe and we'd be able to keep a very similar payroll that the team has now.

Another alternative option would of course be to move one of our bats to free up salary as well. I think we have a lot of options, the question is how many moves does Kenny want to make and how many of them will be contingent type moves which may hurt our leverage (in terms of what we could get for a guy).

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)
Agreed. Matsu is 26 years old and has been dominating professionals in and out of Japan. I would rather overpay for his talents for the next several years, than take on A-rod for more money.

I want to ask one thing. I thought Matsu had some arm troubles this year. Am I correct in this line of thought and if so what were the extent of them?

By the way I'd love to get Matsu, but to do so we'd obviously have to move two pitchers (which I have no problem doing).

I think Buehrle and Garcia/Vaz will be the one's that go. I really think we could get a ton for Mark and the reality is that he had some serious troubles, yet still has serious value and in a year we may not be able to afford him anyway so now may be the very best time.

Of course if I had a crystal ball and knew last year was just an abberation, than I'd give him whatever it took and keep him a career White Sox (cause I think he's a tremendous leader and right now on pace to have a HOF career).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 02:56 PM)
I thought Matsu had some arm troubles this year. Am I correct in this line of thought and if so what were the extent of them?

By the way I'd love to get Matsu, but to do so we'd obviously have to move two pitchers (which I have no problem doing).

I think Buehrle and Garcia/Vaz will be the one's that go. I really think we could get a ton for Mark and the reality is that he had some serious troubles, yet still has serious value and in a year we may not be able to afford him anyway so now may be the very best time.

Of course if I had a crystal ball and knew last year was just an abberation, than I'd give him whatever it took and keep him a career White Sox (cause I think he's a tremendous leader and right now on pace to have a HOF career).

From what I hear he is an absolute horse who has even gone over 200 pitches in a game in his pro career. I havent heard anything about arm issues, just overuse issues. Not to mention he dominated in the WBC.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)

One problem next season is adding together Matsuzaka's salary AND the cost of paying his former team for negotiating rights. Those two together could realistically run over 20 million. Rodriguez would cost well under this-- especially if McCarthy and Crede were traded.

Remove Garcia and it becomes more realistic, but then again, there's the issue of raises across the team.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
One problem next season is adding together Matsuzaka's salary AND the cost of paying his former team for negotiating rights. Those two together could realistically run over 20 million. Rodriguez would cost well under this-- especially if McCarthy and Crede were traded.

Remove Garcia and it becomes more realistic, but then again, there's the issue of raises across the team.

I also would like to throw another name out there. If we want to talk about Arod, why not talk about the possibility of Manny Ramirez. We need a left fielder and we could probably get him without giving up much. Just throwing it out there, no matter how un-realistic it is.

I'm pretty sure a Buehrle for Ramirez (and if we wanted Crisp we could ask for him too) deal would work, with the BoSox also including a good chunk of cash. Than we'd again have the ability to try and swing other deals to fill the rest of the holes (using Pods, other starters and whoever else).

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)

In that case, you also have one other factor. Is it worth/smart paying 20 million for a guy thats never pitched in the majors. If we were willing to add that much payroll, what starter could we trade for. Could we work a deal for Ben Sheets (who had some injury problems this past season and of course in years past) or some other starter who we could get for less in terms of players given up because we'd be willing to take on salary.