A-Rod, what's the asking price

BobDylan

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Juan Uribe can play all over the infield and has a lot of pop in his bat. Also he has showed to be one of the better defensive SS's in the league. So I have no clue where you come up with he has 0 value.

He proved this year that he isn't a capable starter. Considering how much he's making, can you realistically say that some teams are going to give up some valuable prospect/s for him?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:o :o

Your brought a Red Sox into the debate? SHOCKING.

You think Uribe has NO VALUE. Fine, believe what you want to believe. However, you.are.wrong.

Get real. This has nothing to do with the Red Sox.

You're ready to pencil Juan Uribe into the line-up for next season?

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 05:07 PM)
No, I'm not.

No team is going to pay him $4.5 million dollars next season to be an automatic out in the line-up. Any team could go after Alex Gonzalez, a better hitter, a better fielder, and a better player for a fraction of the price.

Suggesting that he could be traded for prospects is wrong.

I wouldn't call Alex Gonzalez a better hitter. Alex Gonzalez does nothing well offensively. Uribe can at least add some power to the bottom of a lineup. They both are bad offensively, but I'd rather have Juan offensively. Defensively its Gonzalez. Also, injuries have bitten him the past couple years.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't call Alex Gonzalez a better hitter. Alex Gonzalez does nothing well offensively. Uribe can at least add some power to the bottom of a lineup. They both are bad offensively, but I'd rather have Juan offensively. Defensively its Gonzalez. Also, injuries have bitten him the past couple years.

I was just using him as an example. I just don't happen to think any well run organization would give up something of value to pay Uribe $4.5 million dollars next year when there are better options for a cheaper price while not having to give up anybody.

I guess that's wrong though. Thank goodness Tony or 101 aren't running this club.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
He proved this year that he isn't a capable starter. Considering how much he's making, can you realistically say that some teams are going to give up some valuable prospect/s for him?

Get real. This has nothing to do with the Red Sox.

You're ready to pencil Juan Uribe into the line-up for next season?

Heck, I wasn't even suggesting valuable prospects. I think you and I may have the same opinion of Juan Uribe; Uribe = no value. However, this opinion is only formed based on my reaction on this past season performance alone.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes.

The Sox pitching was pretty bad this season. They need all the help they can get, and the Sox are going to be VERY hard pressed to find another SS that can field like Uribe that is cheaper and/or available to get.

If Williams can upgrade, by all means do it. But you obviously underrate Uribe, and thats fine.

I don't think I do underrate Uribe, I like him, it's just on the trade market as I originally had said, he doesn't have much of value, if any.

QUOTE(DJ Manlove @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heck, I wasn't even suggesting valuable prospects. I think you and I may have the same opinion of Juan Uribe; Uribe = no value. However, this opinion is only formed based on my reaction on this past season performance alone.

Pretty brutal season for him at the dish, thats for sure. I hear you.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let me ask you this, R&W

You claim Uribe has NO VALUE. Yet, you ask me if im ready to pencil in Uribe to the lineup.

So what should happen. If Uribe has "No Value" why would you trade him?

I wouldn't trade him. I just wouldn't make him my starting short stop next year either.

Juan Uribe's a shortstop that is going to hit 20-25 homers a year. He's going to put up a .700 OPS almost every single year. He's almost not possible for him to be any worse offensively next year than he was this year. This is not including the fact that he is a gold glove defensive SS, regardless of who actually wins the gold glove.

Juan Uribe ≠ valueless

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Juan Uribe's a shortstop that is going to hit 20-25 homers a year. He's going to put up a .700 OPS almost every single year. He's almost not possible for him to be any worse offensively next year than he was this year. This is not including the fact that he is a gold glove defensive SS, regardless of who actually wins the gold glove.

Juan Uribe ≠ valueless

I completely agree with everything you said.

I'm actually entirely shocked at how much chatter saying he has no trade value has sparked.

I may be crazy, but I really think in the at least one of the next 3 seasons, Uribe will have an offensive year like Crede's this year. I believe he still will be streaky, but his hot streaks will last longer and his funks shorter. I also think that if I'm correct, it in no way will propel him to be a consistent offensive player. If he hit .295 with 30-35 homers, there's probably an 85% chance he would fall to levels like this year the following year. He has a great glove, and that can't be discounted either. I would love A Rod to be playing SS for the White Sox, and would be very surprised if KW wouldn't love it too. I'm sure if he's available, KW will be on the phone. Uribe though, is not half as bad as most think, he was good enough with a far worse offensive team in 2005 that the Sox won it all. I think KW has to get the pitching straightened out first, but acquiring ARod would make the Sox the lead story on sportscenter an awful lot. It would definitely make expectations championship or bust for the foreseeable future.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)
I may be crazy, but I really think in the at least one of the next 3 seasons, Uribe will have an offensive year like Crede's this year. I believe he still will be streaky, but his hot streaks will last longer and his funks shorter. I also think that if I'm correct, it in no way will propel him to be a consistent offensive player. If he hit .295 with 30-35 homers, there's probably an 85% chance he would fall to levels like this year the following year. He has a great glove, and that can't be discounted either. I would love A Rod to be playing SS for the White Sox, and would be very surprised if KW wouldn't love it too. I'm sure if he's available, KW will be on the phone.Uribe though, is not half as bad as most think, he was good enough with a far worse offensive team in 2005 that the Sox won it all. I think KW has to get the pitching straightened out first, but acquiring ARod would make the Sox the lead story on sportscenter an awful lot. It would definitely make expectations championship or bust for the foreseeable future.

You're right about Uribe, in that he is not as bad as I see him. I was just looking at his stats and noticed that this year he played 14 less games than 2005 with 18 less at bats, but he hit more home runs and doubles and had the same amount of RBIs. What killed him this year, and what seems to be stuck in all of our minds is his complete lack of patience (.235 BA, 82 SO, and 13 walks). He isn't flat out terrible and shows value. I would only suggest trading him for prospects only if the Sox do acquire Arod (to keep Crede at third).

Edited by DJ Manlove

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
.........................Anything Red.......

Sorry, caught up in the Cardinals/Chiefs game.

I like what Uribe brings to the table, I was referring solely to him having no value on the trade market considering how horrible he was last year for his price tag. Not really sure what else you want me to say.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
Because he'll never be good enough offensively

It will be interesting to see if Chavez wins the Gold Glove this year. This was one of his best defensive years, but he was terrible offensively.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
It makes plenty of sense, you are just extremely close minded.

Once again, I like what he brings to the table.

Once again, I don't believe he has any value on the trade market.

And I was just about to commend you on being respectful to us White Sox fans in this debate.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 06:31 PM)
It will be interesting to see if Chavez wins the Gold Glove this year. This was one of his best defensive years, but he was terrible offensively.

I'm looking Lowell or Crede. I don't see any other candiates that have a chance at winning.

Of course, those were the two 3Bman with the best offensive years, so that's your reasoning...other than ARod, who everyone hates now for being unclutch.

I think teams may actually like Uribe's contract. $4.5 mil with a team option for 2008 right? If Juan hits somewhere betweem 2004 and 2005, he'd be a pretty good value for 2008. If he doesn't, then the team can cut him lose. Any SS with Juan's ability that a team signs on the FA market will most likely get more than 1 garaunteed year.

Edited by sircaffey