A-Rod, what's the asking price

BobDylan

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 03:54 AM)
It was but 2 and a half years ago that the Yankees were getting Freddy Garcia for a package of prospects include Dioner Navarro. Then KW included some guy named Jeremy Reed.

Given, a lot has changed since then(like Freddy's velocity), but I don't think that will change the fact that New York likes Freddy. He still has the makeup to be a big game pitcher, and his stuff looked a hell of a lot better in September, even if it was mainly junkball s***.

That's why I am almost determined to believe that Crede and Garcia would get ARod and perhaps even Proctor too. You then look to acquire a stopgap leadoff hitter for a year or two(Dave Roberts comes to mind initially, but perhaps Figgins is possible as well)

I agree i think the yankees know there are only 3 teams the could realisticly afford him and have the peices to pull it off(Angels, Cubs, Sox), They would wan't a replacement at 3B for us it would be Crede, and a SP i would think Garcia. I wonder what it would take to get Melky from them too, that solves all our LF/Leadoff questions. This also depends on what aramis does with the cubs, i think the angels would pusue him before A Rod because they would only have to give up money instead of talent.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 03:30 AM)
Any deal involving Brandon McCarthy is a no go. His presence is the key to our whole offseason. By the way I didn't sour on Brandon at all. Anyways, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Yankees would want Freddy. The Yankees are still going to want a proven starter and Freddy is just that. It's going to take a nice package to get Alex, no doubt but I think it'd be doable with out Brandon.

EDIT: Well thought out post though RJ, I just disagree about Freddy, I think he'd interest them.

Nah, the Yankees don't want Freddy unless they could get him for a middle of the road prospect or get rid of Pavano's contract.

I'm just going to throw Jon Garlands name out there for conversation sake. Actually the more I think about it, if we can't get rid of Freddy then Jon is the starter I'd trade. :ph34r: I'll explain more later when I actually have had some sleep and could explain myself better. :P

The whole leaving the team and that previous team becoming better nonsense is all coincidence, nothing more. Alex Rodriguez is a hell of a ball player, if you have a chance to get him while he's at his lowest, you go out and you get him. Regardless of how poorly he did in the post season this year.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)
Nah, the Yankees don't want Freddy unless they could get him for a middle of the road prospect or get rid of Pavano's contract.

Let's have a look at the Yanks current rotation;

Wang - He's a keeper.

Mussina - Free Agent I think. Could decide to bolt, cos he's had enough.

Johnson - Almost becoming a liability.

Wright - The Yanks have a $7M option, and a $3M buy-out. It's been mooted they'll trade him, I'd expect a team like Baltimore or the Braves to try hard to acquire him.

Lidle - A Free Agent IIRC. Not sure if he'll be back.

Pavano - Who knows what's going to happen with him, Cashman may try to trade him or buy him out.

So that's 2 definite they've got coming back in Wang and Randy Johnson, albeit RJ ain't that good anymore. But that's 3 other spots they've got to fill still. They'll get one of Zito or Matzusuka I'd imagine, so that's 3. One of Mussina or Lidle, more likely Mussina will probably be back so that's 4.

So it could very well depend on what they do with Pavano. Phillip Hughes will probably be ready mid-season next year, so Garcia makes sense for them in the sense that he's only got 1 year left on his deal, which gives Cashman the flexibility to trade him at the deadline to fill another need possibly.

So I certainly think a Crede and Garcia for A-Rod package is feasible. And I like the idea, because it lets Josh Fields develop at Charlotte for another season (don't want to rush him), and you can let A-Rod take over SS in 2008 when Uribe's contract finishes in 2007.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 02:29 AM)
Why would so many of you want this guy?

He defines losing.

He batted eighth the other day. It turned into the sideshow.

Why did he bat him eighth?

Cause Torre is sick of him, just like Oz was sick of lightbat Brian Anderson.

Leave ARod to rot in NY.

As long as he is there we won't have to worry about NY winning it.

Keep Crede should be our rallying cry.

Just say no to AROD and keep Joe.

Hahaha, you are comparing one of the best baseball players of the last several years with Brian Anderson??? Hilarious

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 07:09 AM)
The whole leaving the team and that previous team becoming better nonsense is all coincidence, nothing more. Alex Rodriguez is a hell of a ball player, if you have a chance to get him while he's at his lowest, you go out and you get him. Regardless of how poorly he did in the post season this year.

I agree with this 100 percent. It seems that the media has effected alot of people in this thread. A-rod is one of the best in the game if not THE best, if you can get him for a lower price than he is worth, you do it.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 10:16 AM)
A columnist in the NY Daily News mentioned the Angels first, but then mentioned the White Sox with "power arms" that I'm not aware of and Josh Fields, not Crede.

If we could get Alex Rodriguez WITHOUT giving up Crede, there aren't many scenarios I would say no to.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)
If we could get Alex Rodriguez WITHOUT giving up Crede, there aren't many scenarios I would say no to.

That's what I was thinking. I think the Yanks may not even want Crede. They may want arms only. I could very well see Cotts in this deal for sure. On the other side, the Yanks may be eying Aramis to replace Arod. Garcia, Cotts, and another piece I have yet to think about could be more attractive to the Yanks.

Of course, I have little doubt that if we acquire do Arod that we go cheap in LF w/ Fields, Sweeney, or Roberts. I could live with that.

Roberts

Iguchi

Arod

Thome

Konerko

Dye

Pierzynski

Crede

Anderson

Edited by sircaffey

So, here's my overall thinking on any ARod deal.

The 1 thing no team in the AL can afford to do if they acquire ARod is make the Yankees a better team. If the Yankees want to trade ARod, the deal has to hurt the Yankees on paper, because they're not dealing him for his numbers, they're dealing him for not coming through in the playoffs.

If you send both a starting pitcher and Crede and maybe a AAA player to the Yankees for ARod, you're making the Yankees a better team. By a lot.

If they want to trade him, they have to trade him at a loss to themselves, exactly as Texas did, in the hopes that they'll get better by not having to deal with him or his contract.

In other words, they want to deal him...we can't give them Crede + Garcia + more. It's just too much...that sort of deal would solve some of our problems, but it would also make the Yankees nearly unstoppable.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)
That's what I was thinking. I think the Yanks may not even want Crede. They may want arms only. I could very well see Cotts in this deal for sure. On the other side, the Yanks may be eying Aramis to replace Arod. Garcia, Cotts, and another piece I have yet to think about could be more attractive to the Yanks.

Of course, I have little doubt that if we acquire do Arod that we go cheap in LF w/ Fields, Sweeney, or Roberts. I could live with that.

Roberts

Iguchi

Arod

Thome

Konerko

Dye

Pierzynski

Crede

Anderson

Roberts may not be the best choice since the steroids allegations.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)

Roberts

Iguchi

Arod

Thome

Konerko

Dye

Pierzynski

Crede

Anderson

That would be a sweet lineup.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)
Why do you have Thome hitting cleanup... HE'S NOT A CLEANUP HITTER! Or did his pathetic 2nd half not drill that home enough... :stick

In the #4 hole, Jim Thome's career #'s:

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG

Batting #4 - 1853 379 527 95 9 161 411 409 556 2 3 .284 .414 .606

In 2006, in the 4 hole:

Batting #4 - 85 14 22 4 0 6 18 26 27 0 0 .259 .430 .518

That's still an OPS of .948 out of the 4 hole in only 85 at bats.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
Why do you have Thome hitting cleanup... HE'S NOT A CLEANUP HITTER! Or did his pathetic 2nd half not drill that home enough... :stick

He was never 100% in the second half and still posted a .942 OPS. If he isn't 100% you are right, but when he is, he is most definitely a cleanup hitter.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)
KW needs to see what it would take, I put A-Rod at SS and think he would be a great addition and Sox have talent to get a deal done this winter! :gosoxretro:

it would be awesome, but i think the yanks would deal his ass to the NL.

I'm not going to go through 17 pages, but isn't the idea of the offseason to get Iguchi out of the number 2 slot? At least one of the ideas. Also, didn't Ozzie want more speed at the top? Roberts is good, but he's not adding more speed, he's replacing it. And yes, A-Rod can steal some bases, but that's not really why he's on anyone's team.

Personally, I'd rather have Jeter if we are going to trade with the Yankees. He will do whatever it takes to win, yes, you lose a lot defensively from Uribe, but you pick up about 70 points in batting average and about the same in baseball IQ. Discuss.