Improving the bullpen

beck72

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 11:29 AM)
Maybe one that gets Haeger off the team, not into the rotation.

I think right now would be a very bad time to trade Haeger...in fact, this entire offseason would be. He's shown me he has potential at the big league level, but I doubt GM's league wide would have enough confidence in a young knuckleballer yet to give us something that could make it worth dealing him.

A few things:

the more I think about it, I don't want Haeger to start in the pen in 2007. He deserves a shot and he seems nearly ready. Yet he's not going anywhere and being in AAA he's only a phone call away. The sox could use Haeger in set up there. No on the job training in the pros. More importantly, he's insurance in case of injury/ ineffectiveness.

The sox could then give Hermanson a shot with the spot reserved for Haeger. Sign Dustin to an incentive laden deal. If he flames out, gets hurt, then insert Haeger. I wasn't for signing Hermanson, plugging Haeger in and then getting one new guy via trade or free agency. This way, the sox can add two new guys and dustin to a low base $700 k, with Haeger in reserve in AAA. With a cheap Hermanson, the sox can add salary with the other two arms.

A healthy Hermanson is much better than most of the names being thrown out there. [This is all dependent on a decent prognosis for Dustin]. And with him not being a fireballer, he still presents a different look to the opposing hitters.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 08:46 PM)
I was at the game against the Angels where Haeger made his first start. I was rather impressed with his knuckleball, having seen Wakefield pitch on numerous occassions, however, Pierzynski's troubles catching him could become problematic next season.

With Chris Stewart as backup, I think he'd be the one to catch Haeger.

Logan, not Haeger, will likely be the in-house addition to the pen. He has pretty darn good stuff and should be a very nice option. He would also be the guy who would replace Cotts if Neal was moved.

As far as the Haeger comparison to that of Shields/Wakefield, well that is far from what Haeger would be. He'd be the guy that came in games when we were up big or down big and we just needed innings eaten.

The best place for Haeg is in AAA where he waits if one of our guys goes down, imo. Unless of course he has an amazing spring or Logan has an awful one.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 05:05 AM)
Cowley looks at the bullpen. Sounds like Cotts will be shopped to gauge his value. He probably won't go anywhere. But if a team is willing to overpay, the sox would have to consider it with Thornton going so well.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox09.article

sounds like the sox will add three new guys [with Cotts staying on]--one via trade, one via free agency, and one via the farm system, IMO.

1] Free agency--a reliable RH like Justin Speier

2] Trade--another reliable RH like Chad Qualls

3] Farm--Charlie Haeger

Thoughts on your 3 additions?

Cotts has to have some good trade value. Assuming he's healthy, lefties are always in demand.

Bob

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
Logan, not Haeger, will likely be the in-house addition to the pen. He has pretty darn good stuff and should be a very nice option. He would also be the guy who would replace Cotts if Neal was moved.

As far as the Haeger comparison to that of Shields/Wakefield, well that is far from what Haeger would be. He'd be the guy that came in games when we were up big or down big and we just needed innings eaten.

The best place for Haeg is in AAA where he waits if one of our guys goes down, imo. Unless of course he has an amazing spring or Logan has an awful one.

I've seen enough of Boone. I'd trade him before Cotts.

Bob

Why are so many of you writing off Riske... If i'm not mistaken he's still under our control... Yes he had a down year at the end but he's an innings eater and he has had some damn good years and decent career numbers. Of course in Soxtalk land guys with a mid 3's era just grow on trees.

Riske is just about done.

When he was a stud with Cleveland, he was throwing in the mid 90's.

Now he's lucky to top 90 and his slider just isn't that good anymore. ERA nearing 4, WHIP 1.30. Strikeouts are way down from where they used to be.

No thanks on retaining him.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)
Well then why don't we just sign LeTroy Hawkins... The guy is a stud setup man... He's gotten a head case rep and he can't close so he might come at a discount...

Nearly a 4 1/2 ERA with a 1.46 WHIP with a .300 BAA. Yup thats a stud setup guy.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)
Well then why don't we just sign LeTroy Hawkins... The guy is a stud setup man... He's gotten a head case rep and he can't close so he might come at a discount...

He's not the worst option out there, but he ought not to just be handed the job. The only way we sign him if I'm the GM is if we can't find that last right handed bullpen arm, so we decide to try 4 or 5 different righties in ST and see who comes out on top (I.e. throw Hawkins, Hermanson, Tracey, and a couple other journeymen in there). And most likely, whoever you find, you have to expect to replace before the trading deadline because it's going to be a big, big weakness.

THe Sox may look at Haegar. But I dont see Riske staying. He really cost us in key situations down the stretch this season. The way I see it, only Thorton, MacDougle and Jenks are locks. Everything else is up in the air. I wouldn't be surprised if KW gets 3 new arms for the pen. 2 for sure with a chance of Cotts/Haegar taking one of the 6 spots.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But I dont see Riske staying. He really cost us in key situations down the stretch this season.

Like when?

His onyl blown save was on August 25th (Hunter Home run, Sox tied it right back up,) and I don't see anything in September.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
So, bullpen related question for folks: Who do people want as our 2nd lefty next year? Cotts, Logan, a bullet to the head, or someone else (and explain how you think we can get them)?

Cotts is probably the first option.

If he is dealt, then someone like Steve Kline (FA) would be interesting.