Google bought you tube..

Steff

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
For 1.65 BILLION dollars...

Cha... ching.

If that YouTube guy likes sports, we have another Mark Cuban on our hands!

:D

Now Google will screw up YouTube to the point where no one will visit the site anymore. They'll erase everything that people like about it. I can see it now - "partnering" with advertisers, popups all over the site, deleting "non-sponsored" clips.....book it.

Google is one of the best ran internet companies around and its because they actually know what the end users (us) want. They'll do a great job with Youtube.

That said I don't know if it was worth what they paid for it. I know Mark Cuban thinks youtube isn't worth what Google paid.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)

Now Google will screw up YouTube to the point where no one will visit the site anymore. They'll erase everything that people like about it. I can see it now - "partnering" with advertisers, popups all over the site, deleting "non-sponsored" clips.....book it.

When Did Google become Microsoft?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 05:18 PM)
Google is one of the best ran internet companies around and its because they actually know what the end users (us) want. They'll do a great job with Youtube.

That said I don't know if it was worth what they paid for it. I know Mark Cuban thinks youtube isn't worth what Google paid.

I hope you're right. I just get a little leery when that much money is paid out - I figure the buyer will want to "put their stamp" on it.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)

huh?

google usually makes things better, alot better.

QUOTE(SnB @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 06:30 PM)
huh?

google usually makes things better, alot better.

Cuban's reasoning for not buying YouTube, and his criticism of any "moron" who chooses to do so, was based on the large amount of copyright infringements which are accessible on the site. He feels that anyone who buys YouTube, apparently Google, will actually be buying themselves an assload of legal proceedings. He stated that YouTube hadn't been sued yet because they didn't have any money, now Google's pockets are open to legal proceedings.

Google has apparently thought about the copyright issues and, from what I read, plan on introducing software on the YouTube servers which will filter out copyrighted materials and make then unaccessible. Google is most definitely great at everything they touch, and I have little doubt that they will make YouTube great for users while omitting copyrighted videos.

Although I don't have any numbers or anything to back up my opinion, it seems to me that a majority of people are watching music videos and television shows on the site. If you take away those components of the site, regardless of what Google does to jazz it up, will it sustain traffic levels remotely close to what the site sees today? Personally, I doubt it. This was Google's largest acquisition to date and I think it was a mistake.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 07:39 PM)
Cuban's reasoning for not buying YouTube, and his criticism of any "moron" who chooses to do so, was based on the large amount of copyright infringements which are accessible on the site. He feels that anyone who buys YouTube, apparently Google, will actually be buying themselves an assload of legal proceedings. He stated that YouTube hadn't been sued yet because they didn't have any money, now Google's pockets are open to legal proceedings.

Google has apparently thought about the copyright issues and, from what I read, plan on introducing software on the YouTube servers which will filter out copyrighted materials and make then unaccessible. Google is most definitely great at everything they touch, and I have little doubt that they will make YouTube great for users while omitting copyrighted videos.

Although I don't have any numbers or anything to back up my opinion, it seems to me that a majority of people are watching music videos and television shows on the site. If you take away those components of the site, regardless of what Google does to jazz it up, will it sustain traffic levels remotely close to what the site sees today? Personally, I doubt it. This was Google's largest acquisition to date and I think it was a mistake.

Google already has something that allows people to post/view videos don't they? I just watched the latest Southpark episode last Thursday. I'm pretty sure that's copyrighted material.

I think half the videos on google or youtube have some sort of copyrighted content whether it's music or video or both...

YouTube has been negotiating with companies such as CBS, Showtime and CSTV to post clips. I don't think this will affect too much because the broadcasters will post and anythign else posted by the average joe will be taken down. The content will still be there.

Plus, unless the people posting material are using it to make a profit, I don't think the copywrite owners have too much of a leg to stand on. Especially if it's being used in a parody.

I don't think it will be affected all that much.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
Plus, unless the people posting material are using it to make a profit, I don't think the copywrite owners have too much of a leg to stand on. Especially if it's being used in a parody.

I don't think it will be affected all that much.

Google just bought youtube for 1.8 billion dollars (not yen)....in case you missed that part.

SOMEONE is expecting to make a profit on the goings on of that website.

So I have a feeling that it will very much affect what gets posted. I know if anything I had a legal stake in was posted, I'd either way $$ or it taken off.

sorry for the heavy sarcasm. I just think it needed to be stated.

As speculated here, Google may not be done. YouTube had just signed a deal with Level 3 Communications (my employer) for broadband services prior to selling to Google. Personally speaking, I'd love to have this happen because I'd enjoy working for a company like Google. On the other hand, I don't see Google making a move like this. What do you all think?