All we are saying...

southsider2k5

I love John Lennon, but had he continued recording albums in the 1980s, I think people would ultimately have been disappointed with what he released, not unlike the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, etc. People would love the album at first and then nobody would remember it a year later.

In fact, listening to Double Fantasy, I find myself liking Yoko's work more and more while John's just kinda fades away to me.

I have better hopes for Lennon than Paul. I think Lennon would have continued to turn out interesting and thoughtful music. But, I think Paul + John = greatness. As solo artists, not as great. There was a balance there that is missing.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 05:55 PM)
But there was virtually no "Lennon/McCartney". It's been said that the two really never wrote together. They just slapped the double names on for whatever reason. I believe it started out as the two as a team, but quickly stopped.

From what I've read there was influence based on what would get on an album. They each knew how far to push their agendas and writing. It might not have been live together in perfect harmony, side by side on the piano keyboard, but you know what I mean. :britishflag:

John Lennon's Killer Denied Parole Again

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 9:48 PM EDT

The Associated Press

ATTICA, N.Y. (AP) — John Lennon's killer was denied parole for a fourth time Tuesday because of the "bizarre nature" of his crime. Mark David Chapman, 51, must remain at Attica Correctional Facility for at least two more years for gunning down the former Beatle outside his Manhattan apartment building in 1980.

"The panel remains concerned about the bizarre nature of this premeditated and violent crime," the board wrote in a one-page decision issued shortly after Chapman's appearance before the three-member panel at Attica.

function iFrameCallback1() { var oIframe = document.getElementById("iFrame1"); var oDoc = (oIframe.contentWindow || oIframe.contentDocument); if (oDoc.document) { oDoc = oDoc.document; } document.getElementById('ads1').innerHTML = oDoc.getElementById('results').innerHTML; return true; } The hearing lasted 16 minutes, said Scott Steinhardt, spokesman for the state Division of Parole. A transcript of the hearing was not immediately available."While the panel notes your satisfactory institutional adjustment," the decision said, "due to the extremely violent nature of the offense, your release would not be in the best interest of the community."

The decision came one day after what would have been Lennon's 66th birthday.

Chapman has been in prison for 25 years. He became eligible for release after serving 20 years of a maximum life sentence. His next appearance before the parole board will be in October 2008.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)
I love John Lennon, but had he continued recording albums in the 1980s, I think people would ultimately have been disappointed with what he released, not unlike the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, etc. People would love the album at first and then nobody would remember it a year later.

In fact, listening to Double Fantasy, I find myself liking Yoko's work more and more while John's just kinda fades away to me.

People were already disappointed with most of what he released in the 70s - as Jackie said.

But when I listen to the Double fantasy stuff now, I still hear somebody who took an extended break from the music business and all its attendent cr@p to be a husband and father, and then he came back refreshed and ready to have fun making music again. The Double Fantasy stuff wasn't earth-shaking or groundbreaking, but John sounds downright happy on those tracks, which he largely hadn't for a long tme.

I still miss him.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)
People were already disappointed with most of what he released in the 70s - as Jackie said.

But when I listen to the Double fantasy stuff now, I still hear somebody who took an extended break from the music business and all its attendent cr@p to be a husband and father, and then he came back refreshed and ready to have fun making music again. The Double Fantasy stuff wasn't earth-shaking or groundbreaking, but John sounds downright happy on those tracks, which he largely hadn't for a long tme.

I still miss him.

Have you heard the "Watching The Wheels" acoustic demo? It's amazing.

These three acoustic demos absolutely blow away the officials, IMO:

Happy X-Mas (War Is Over)

Here We Go Again

Watching The Wheels

But of course, "Happy X-Mas" has no Yoko, so it blows away the official by default. :D

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 12:26 PM)
***sigh***

Hey, it's all a matter of opinion, dude.

For instance, my favorite band is Hootie And The Blowfish. Hate me now. :D

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 07:22 PM)
Have you heard the "Watching The Wheels" acoustic demo? It's amazing.

I listened to it yesterday as a matter of fact. It's on the "Acoustic" release from a year or so back. The Cold Turkey, John Sinclair. and Working Class hero off of there are also musts.