Daisuke Matsuzaka

jolleyrogers

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 05:16 PM)
If a team pays the 25 million or whatevr it takes to negotiate with him, if a deal doesnt happen do they get that money back or is it gone for good? Also my friend is telling me the Rangers are one of the favorites to land him?

A player may be posted from November 1 to March 1. For a player to be posted, both the team and player must agree on the posting; usually the player requests to be posted. The team then notifies the NPB Commissioner's Office that the player will be posted, who then notifies the MLB, which notifies all of its teams. The MLB teams then have four days to submit a "silent" bid for the right to negotiate a contract with the player to the MLB Commissioner's Office. After the fourth day, the NPB team (via the Commissioner's Office) is notified of the highest bidder and has four to accept or reject the bid. If the bid is accepted the winning MLB team has thirty (30) days to reach an agreement with the player. If the bid is rejected, the player is not posted.

If the player signs a contract with the MLB team by the end of the signing period, then the player becomes part of that MLB team and the NPB team receives the bid money. If the player does not sign a contract with the MLB team by the end of the signing period, the player is returned to the NPB team and the NPB team does not receive the bid money.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 07:04 AM)
If the Sox sign a Japanese pitcher this off season, it won't be Matsuzaka... It will be either Hiroki Kuroda or Kazumi Saito, the later who actually put up better numbers than Matsuzaka.

Saito had better numbers than Matsuzaka?? Sign him up, after all, our last signing from Japan has gone pretty well.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 11:38 PM)
Saito had better numbers than Matsuzaka?? Sign him up, after all, our last signing from Japan has gone pretty well.

I just read a recent article that said the Seibu Lions were expecting Saito to join their rotation next season, so not sure what the deal is with him being posted or not.

He was brutal in 04, but good in 05 (haven't seen his stats for this season FWIW).

But it gives credence to the thought of trading Garcia to say the Mets or Padres for Milledge or Carillo / more prospects, and possibly dealing another starter like Contreras to get you that stud prospect to help you acquire Carl Crawford, then you could sign a Saito to fill in as that 5th starter while you let the likes of Broadway to be able to continue their development down at AAA.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 08:43 AM)
I just read a recent article that said the Seibu Lions were expecting Saito to join their rotation next season, so not sure what the deal is with him being posted or not.

He was brutal in 04, but good in 05 (haven't seen his stats for this season FWIW).

But it gives credence to the thought of trading Garcia to say the Mets or Padres for Milledge or Carillo / more prospects, and possibly dealing another starter like Contreras to get you that stud prospect to help you acquire Carl Crawford, then you could sign a Saito to fill in as that 5th starter while you let the likes of Broadway to be able to continue their development down at AAA.

All the info in that post confused the hell outta me to be honest, but it reminds me that man I can't wait to see what we do this offseason.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 11:46 PM)
All the info in that post confused the hell outta me to be honest, but it reminds me that man I can't wait to see what we do this offseason.

Haha, yeah I've sort been posting that scenario a bit over the past week.

Basically what I came up with was moving 2 starters, to allow you to trade for Crawford and find a 5th starter from somewhere. Getting a guy like Saito makes that possible.

But I think first and foremost, KW is going to get a nice piece for the bullpen and that guy will probably be Justin Speier.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 08:49 AM)
Haha, yeah I've sort been posting that scenario a bit over the past week.

Basically what I came up with was moving 2 starters, to allow you to trade for Crawford and find a 5th starter from somewhere. Getting a guy like Saito makes that possible.

But I think first and foremost, KW is going to get a nice piece for the bullpen and that guy will probably be Justin Speier.

My response to you is then is this. I know he's a solution to LF and a stud, but is Crawford a leadoff man solution? I know his OBP was solid last year with that high average, but he doesn't walk all that much, has a lousy career OBP, and the small OF at The Cell will turn some doubles and triples at the Trop into outs, lowering the average and OBP.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
My response to you is then is this. I know he's a solution to LF and a stud, but is Crawford a leadoff man solution? I know his OBP was solid last year with that high average, but he doesn't walk all that much, has a lousy career OBP, and the small OF at The Cell will turn some doubles and triples at the Trop into outs, lowering the average and OBP.

It's a good question.

Crawford's a lot more like Grady Sizemore than he is a Scott Podsednik. I think the impressive thing with him this season is that his OBP went up 17 points to .348. Podsednik in 2005 had a .351 OBP.

At the Cell you could see that power rise even more, so he could possibly go from hitting 18HR's this season, to say 20-25 next season with around 55 steals, and an OBP around the .340-.345 mark, which would make him a very valuable commodity for us,

I came up with the idea of trading John Danks (acquired as part of the Contreras deal) and Josh Fields for him. Whether Tampa would go for that I don't know, but it's an interesting scenario.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 07:04 PM)
I know this guy is supposedly great and all that, but I have no interest in spending a total of 80 or 90 millon between posting fee and general deal for a guy that has never thrown a pitch over here. What if he's Kaz Matsui part 2?

Well, Iguchi is a Free Agent at the end of this year...so we do need another 2b

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)
I know this guy is supposedly great and all that, but I have no interest in spending a total of 80 or 90 millon between posting fee and general deal for a guy that has never thrown a pitch over here. What if he's Kaz Matsui part 2?

He won't be.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 07:04 AM)
If the Sox sign a Japanese pitcher this off season, it won't be Matsuzaka... It will be either Hiroki Kuroda or Kazumi Saito, the later who actually put up better numbers than Matsuzaka.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 07:04 PM)

Well that ended up being more true than I ever would have thought... and it only took 12 hours :)

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 06:40 AM)
Well that ended up being more true than I ever would have thought... and it only took 12 hours :)

Boras isn't going to have the kind of leverage he usually does though. There is a finite period where the sides must agree on a contract or the player goes back to Japan and the team has to pay out no money. He also can't play one team off on another one. It may be as good of time as there ever will be dealing with Boras. That said, I agree the White Sox will most likelynot be competing for this guy's services.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 05:07 PM)
Boras isn't going to have the kind of leverage he usually does though. There is a finite period where the sides must agree on a contract or the player goes back to Japan and the team has to pay out no money. He also can't play one team off on another one. It may be as good of time as there ever will be dealing with Boras. That said, I agree the White Sox will most likelynot be competing for this guy's services.

Good point, as the other part of that is if the team doesn't sign the player, they get their posting fee back, and they don't lose any money, plus the player can't go to a competing team.