• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the front page of the NYT:

Small Aircraft Hits Building in Manhattan

Article Tools Sponsored By

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: October 11, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- A small plane crashed into a high-rise on Manhattan's Upper East Side, police said Wednesday. There was no immediate word on any deaths or injuries.

A column of gray smoke rose over the city, and raging flames could be seen in four windows on two upper floors.

CNN: An aircraft has crashed into the middle of a brick luxury high-rise residential building on Manhattan's Upper East Side at 72nd Street and York Avenue, police officials said.

The building is very close to the East River. There was no word on casualties as firefighters battled the flames that shot up from several windows in the middle of the building. The Federal Aviation Administration has said a "general aviation" aircraft had hit the building.

A North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) spokesperson, which monitors air traffic, told CNN that it had not been tracking the aircraft.

Witness Sarah Steiner told CNN that fires were burning on the ground. "It looks like the plane just flew into someone's living room there." (Watch the orange flames ravage the apartment -- 1:50)

"It looks as if the aircraft didn't go into the building but fell down," she said. "It may be part of the debris burning on the ground."

Steiner said that when she arrived, she saw fire shooting out of two windows on the 30th floor of the 50-story building.

Video from the scene shows at least three apartments in the high-rise fully engulfed in flames.

NORAD has just announced they believe this was just an accident.

Also they are reports that the plane was doing acrobatic tricks (whatever that means) before hitting the building.

They also said this play was on a visual flight plan, and wasn't required to check in with the radar towers.

Appearantly this plane is registered to Cory Lidle. Arthur Rhodes has mentioned Lidles flight history before:

"He is a scab," Rhodes said. "When he started, he would go 51/3 innings and (the bullpen) would have to win the game for him. The only thing Cory Lidle wants to do is fly around in his airplane and gamble. He doesn't have a work ethic. After every start, he didn't run or lift weights. He would sit in the clubhouse and eat ice cream. ... He shouldn't say that, he shouldn't say anything like that because he is a scab. He crossed the line when guys like me, Flash (Tom Gordon) and (Mike) Lieberthal were playing. He is a replacement player."

This is Thurman Munson all over again to a lesser extent I guess. Appearantly the Yankees weren't all that excited about Lidle flying around in a plane. Lidle was supposed to flyout of New Jersey this morning and it's believed that he was the pilot of this plane.

ESPN is now confirming that Cory Lidle did die in the plane crash.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
In regards to what Rhodes said? I think it's relevant just because it shows that someone has already mentioned a while ago that he's a reckless pilot.

Though there is no proof and all witness accounts state the plane appeared to have mechanical issues.

I don't see the point in s***ting on the guy. And if it's not true, it's libel. Or is there a direct quote from AR....

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)
Though there is no proof and all witness accounts state the plane appeared to have mechanical issues.

I don't see the point in s***ting on the guy. And if it's not true, it's libel. Or is there a direct quote from AR....

I'm actually pretty sure that there were some direct quotes in the war of words between Lidle and Rhodes that was very ugly.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
Thanks.

ETA... I'm missing the reference to drinking and flying... or "flight history" as you labeled it up there?

He mentioned Lidle's drinking in a television interview but it's not in the quote from the original New York Post article.