Sox moving press box

Mr. Showtime

Maybe this was posted before..

Press box to become lounge

Meanwhile, the Sox also are converting the press box on the mezzanine level of the ball park into a new club lounge featuring 220 premium seats, with a lounge and restaurant-type food service. The new seating area will retain the movable windows of the press box. The seats will cost $250 each and will be available only in a full season-ticket plan.

The team began selling the new seating Monday as construction on the renovation began.

"We've had such success with the United Scout seats [installed before the 2005 season behind home plate], and the demand for this type of premium seating is there,'' Reifert said.

The 314 Scout seats were added as part of the Phase V renovation of the ball park, which opened in 1991. Wait service and a lounge area are part of the Scout seating package, which also are sold as full season-ticket packages.

The press box will move to the second-tier mezzanine level on the fourth floor of the stadium along the first-base side. The radio and TV broadcast booths on the third level, above the current press box, will remain in their present site.

The team's only other off-season renovation will be the continued replacement of blue seats to green seats throughout the park.

Trib story:

Word on street:

The press box at U.S. Cellular Field is being moved to the 400 level along the first-base line from behind the plate along the second level.

The old area will have seats for fans in front of a special club/restaurant beginning next season.

"Given our success on the field and at the gate, demand for tickets and premium locations for fans is extremely high," said White Sox Vice President for Communications Scott Reifert. "As with all our revenues, anything generated by this new space will go back into improving our team on the field. The new press box will be state-of-the-art, with a media wall, wireless, etc., and should be a very comfortable work space ."

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
this should bring us some more on field talent....whats next a ride going up and down the foul pole...go sox pr go.

Fix up the stadium money has nothing to do with fix the team on the field money.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
Source?

You're kidding right?

Or were you not a member of the site when US Cell and the Sox announced the sponsorship and where the money would be going.

I'm not even going to comment on the common sense angle...

We are assuming, and probably correctly, that this is coming out of the fixing the stadium fund and not a we invest $2,000,000 and make $4,500,000 fund.

It is also interesting that seemingly if they make a change to the stadium that increases profits, they can't use those profits to help the team on the field. Seems like a bad deal for the fans.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
We are assuming, and probably correctly, that this is coming out of the fixing the stadium fund and not a we invest $2,000,000 and make $4,500,000 fund.

It is also interesting that seemingly if they make a change to the stadium that increases profits, they can't use those profits to help the team on the field. Seems like a bad deal for the fans.

The profits from the ticket sales goes to the team and to payroll... Any money made from a sponsorship of the area would go to the Stadium Authority, unless they and the Sox have have a secondary agreement worked out for these specific kinds of moneys. Don't forget, the more fans the Sox bring in, the more money the SA makes because their revenues are also based on a part of attendance. That is why they are willing to make those investments in things such as the stadium remodel. Its a win-win for both sides.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)

Hu...? United pays the Sox to call the scout seats "the United Scout Seats" and that money goes to the SA, but the revenue from the sale of the seat goes to the Sox to do just what they did in '06... increase payroll.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
The profits from the ticket sales goes to the team and to payroll... Any money made from a sponsorship of the area would go to the Stadium Authority, unless they and the Sox have have a secondary agreement worked out for these specific kinds of moneys. Don't forget, the more fans the Sox bring in, the more money the SA makes because their revenues are also based on a part of attendance. That is why they are willing to make those investments in things such as the stadium remodel. Its a win-win for both sides.

I think people forget that the Sox don't own the stadium and that they don't control the funds that are used to make stadium improvments.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
, but the revenue from the sale of the seat goes to the Sox to do just what they did in '06... increase payroll.

I'm not trying to start anything, but I think that is what the guy was saying to begin with. He never said they should use the money to pay for more on field talent. When i read it I assumed he was saying the ticket sales will increase the payroll.

edit: and if it is sponsored that money can go to anything the Sox want, including Payroll.

Edited by Sox1422

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
I'd pay to take BP on the field.

Some teams do that as a benny for season ticket holders.

The Sox had this for full season ticketholders in 2004 I think. Only 1 batter per account and my friend won the coin flip. No one hit one out my day, but my buddy gave a couple a decent ride. They were using ridiculous balls. Very old with the covers coming off. You almost would have had to hit what would be a concourse shot to get it over the wall. There are far too many season ticketholders now for the Sox to hold another one of these.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 07:50 PM)
I'll wear a freaking Magnavox hat during the games if it means we have more money to spend on winning the World Series, so no big deal.

And since you'll be the only person on earth wearing one... we'll all know who you are when we see you at the Cell.

:gosox1:

The Sox better be careful. Remember the first half of the year 2005 the Scout seat were empty basically every game. It looked embarrassing on TV. I hope they are not biting off more than they can chew for short-term profits and when the team inevitably has a bad year or two and can't sell those seats.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 08:15 AM)
The Sox better be careful. Remember the first half of the year 2005 the Scout seat were empty basically every game. It looked embarrassing on TV. I hope they are not biting off more than they can chew for short-term profits and when the team inevitably has a bad year or two and can't sell those seats.

Thankfully these ones wont be on tv as much. But I suspect it will be the same. The only reason the scout seats were full this year was cause of the playoff ticket deal. We were only able to get 4 scout seat games this past year and have already gotten offered a dozen for '07 so the fall off has started.