Soriano rejects $70m/5 years

Balta1701

Linkity.

Free agent Alfonso Soriano has rejected a five-year, $70 million contract offer from the Washington Nationals, and a team official said it's "almost impossible" that Soriano will stay with the Nats.

Nationals special assistant Jose Rijo told a Santo Domingo newspaper that the team is "more than interested" in re-signing Soriano. But he said the team's financial structure is preventing this.

Soriano had an All-Star year in his one season for the Nats. He became the first player in baseball history to hit at least 40 home runs, steal at least 40 bases and hit at least 40 doubles. He also recorded more than 20 assists in his first season as a left fielder after a career as a second baseman.

Well, anyone who wants Soriano...are you willing to beat that price by quite a bit?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 08:12 PM)
Linkity.

Well, anyone who wants Soriano...are you willing to beat that price by quite a bit?

i heard on one of the espn podcasts that some mlb officials were thinking that he would make somewhere between 16-18 per year...

they brought up a good point...i guess one GM was quoted saying "why would i trade a bunch of young pitchign for arod at 16 million, when i can sign soriano for near the same, or 1 million more, without having to give up the pitching. And you know sorianos head is screwed on right, arods may not be"

QUOTE(daa84 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 09:36 PM)
i heard on one of the espn podcasts that some mlb officials were thinking that he would make somewhere between 16-18 per year...

they brought up a good point...i guess one GM was quoted saying "why would i trade a bunch of young pitchign for arod at 16 million, when i can sign soriano for near the same, or 1 million more, without having to give up the pitching. And you know sorianos head is screwed on right, arods may not be"

What?!!!!!!!

ARod moved to 3b when he was certainly a better defender than the guy the Yanks had. Soriano whines everywhere about not playing 2b, where he's not nearly as good, and almost sat out the season because of that same petulance. What a f'n gamer.

Not to mention that he's not even close to the hitter ARod is and has had exactly 1 year close to this. Lol.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 08:36 PM)

Wayne Krivsky is an idiot.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 08:47 AM)
Someone want to tell me again how Joe Crede won't get something in the area of 5 years $50 million on the open market?

Um...

Because Derek Jeter doesn't like him?

The Neifi factor?

The Tribune company won't acknowledge it?

The Playoffs/WBC tired him out?

Rob Mackowiak is playing CF?

He ran out of gas.

He had a flat tire.

He didn't have enough money for cab fare.

His tux didn't come back from the cleaners.

An old friend came in from out of town.

Someone stole his car.

There was an earthquake.

A terrible flood.

Locusts.

IT WASN'T HIS FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!

:D

5 years/70 million?! Those are serious numbers. If he gets more than that, I'll feel really happy about the deal we made with Paulie.

If someone's going to give him more than that, it might be a certain free-wielding, money-dumping, american league team that wears pinstripes and is based out of New York which will remain nameless.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 08:47 AM)
Someone want to tell me again how Joe Crede won't get something in the area of 5 years $50 million on the open market?

If he continues to hit like he did this season he'll get much more. If he still is having back issues, I really don't see a team giving him 5 years. His health is the key IMO.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
If he still is having back issues, I really don't see a team giving him 5 years.

I'd tend to agree in most cases, but Maggs somehow got 5/75 from Detroit when his career was in jeopardy. Boras is a pretty sneaky person.

I'd imagine he'll get 5-7 years with a potential opt out plan about 3-4 years in.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 12:16 AM)
I'd tend to agree in most cases, but Maggs somehow got 5/75 from Detroit when his career was in jeopardy. Boras is a pretty sneaky person.

I'd imagine he'll get 5-7 years with a potential opt out plan about 3-4 years in.

i think 5 is pushing it, more than that just seems ridiculous... not many guys have contracts with that many years attached... especially injury prone ones who have only had one good year

QUOTE(Reddy @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 12:20 AM)
i think 5 is pushing it, more than that just seems ridiculous... not many guys have contracts with that many years attached... especially injury prone ones who have only had one good year

Crede will be coming off two more seasons if he were to test FA. I hope he's not coming off 1 good year.

If he were to sign now, 5/50 would be too much

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
Any player with an on-base percentage struggling to get past .300, regardless of if they slug over .500, isn't as helpful as 10-12 million normally translates to be. Joe Crede shouldn't and won't get 10 million no less 12 ever in my opinion.

ummm his OBP was over .300 all season long and while .323 isnt all that good I wouldnt call is struggling. Plus how many 3B are going to hit 30 HR's drive in 90 plus RBI's and give you gold glove calibur defense. Not 2 mention has shown he can get the big hits late in the game when it counts too. If Crede repeats this year he will easily get 10.