Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
Awesome -- Duke tomorrow night.

Matthews played really well on the offensive end. The best part about the win tonight was the effort down low. Marquette outrebounded Tech by at least ten. The trio of sophomores combined for 50+ points.

Tomorrow's going to be fun. I don't know if we have anybody who can guard McRoberts, but neither Nelson nor Shaier (sp?) will beat us. And if Coach K tries to go man, Wes Matthews will eat Schaier alive.

Duke's guards are amazingly unathletic. They are going to kill you inside, but your guards are going to do whatever they want on offense. I think the best chance is to let Duke get their points inside, but don't give their guards open looks, and use your athletic ability on the offensive end. Should be a fun battle, Marquette can win if they play well, and I think they will win if they play well.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
Awesome -- Duke tomorrow night.

Matthews played really well on the offensive end. The best part about the win tonight was the effort down low. Marquette outrebounded Tech by at least ten. The trio of sophomores combined for 50+ points.

Tomorrow's going to be fun. I don't know if we have anybody who can guard McRoberts, but neither Nelson nor Shaier (sp?) will beat us. And if Coach K tries to go man, Wes Matthews will eat Schaier alive.

Are you a Marquette grad? I knew there was something there I liked!!!!! :D :D

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
Nope -- a current undergrad. :D

Crap!! I feel old. Have a couple at the Gym for me!!!!

Go Warriors!!! (I'll never let it go)

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 09:39 PM)
Crap!! I feel old. Have a couple at the Gym for me!!!!

Go Warriors!!! (I'll never let it go)

If you're reasonably close to Milwaukee, try to make it up to a game this year. The team is freakishly athletic, and as I'm sure you know, has been hyped to death. I fear that the games where the shots don't fall might get ugly, but they're fun to watch when they're going good.

ESPN2 tonight. We are! Marquette! :headbang

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
If you're reasonably close to Milwaukee, try to make it up to a game this year. The team is freakishly athletic, and as I'm sure you know, has been hyped to death. I fear that the games where the shots don't fall might get ugly, but they're fun to watch when they're going good.

ESPN2 tonight. We are! Marquette! :headbang

I usually get up there for one game the trainer I worked with is still there or see them here in Chicago against DePaul. The games are fun regardless.

Wofford beat Cincy 91-90 in Cincy. How they have fallen... Wofford opened with a 4 point loss at NC State, beat a couple non I-A teams, and then beat Jacksonville St. by 2 on the road.

Georgia Tech made a nice rally on Memphis to win 92-85. The Yellow Jackets were down 16 at half...

On a side note, Iowa State beat Minnesota 68-63. The aformentioned Taylor had 25 of his 33 points in the second half, including a three pointer that was pure luck to give ISU a 61-58 lead.

Spencer Tollackson is also fun to watch.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
On a side note, Iowa State beat Minnesota 68-63. The aformentioned Taylor had 25 of his 33 points in the second half, including a three pointer that was pure luck to give ISU a 61-58 lead.

Spencer Tollackson is also fun to watch.

It was a great game, I can't ask for more. Taylor was on FIRE, but we really should have won that game. We threw it away.. oh well :(

Tollackson had a spectacular game though, and we finally showed up on the boards.

Edited by Felix

UCLA beats Kentucky, Georgia Tech beats Memphis. So the final round of games in Maui includes DePaul/Purdue for the 5th (DePaul beat Chaminade, Purdue beat Oklahoma), Kentucky/Memphis for 3rd place, and UCLA/Georgia Tech for the title. Not bad.

Oh, and btw....Indiana Purdue-Fort Wayne (IPFW) won tonight 97-95 at Western Illinois.....in FIVE OVERTIMES.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/boxscore?gid=200611210638

Oh, and Illinois beat previously 5-0, but still bad, Savannah State 81-34. McBride is back, and had 16 points, one behind Chester Frazier's 17. McBride still doesn't seem comfortable driving yet though, as he was 4-10 from three and only drove inside the arc once (making a shot).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
Well, I can top Savannah State. Next up, State plays something called Lake Superior State.

The Illini's pathetic first 5 games are over, and now it finally picks up a little. A game against a decent Miami of Ohio team that played tough at Kentucky, then #25 Maryland for ACC/Big 10 at the Hall, at #15 Arizona, IUPUI, and UIC in Chicago, with braggin' rights vs. Misery and at Xavier on the horizon before league play.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 11:17 PM)
Playing the likes of the Savannah States of the world could end up costing Illinois a higher seed or maybe even a bid.

Illinois will never be in danger of not making the dance. But your right in it will hurt seeding, as the Illini played a similar OOC last year and got a lower seed than expected as a result.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 11:22 PM)
Congrats to Marquette, handing rat face and friends their first loss

I bet on Marquette to win straight up. MONEY IN THE BANK!!! All of Duke's slow, white guys simply can't handle the speed of Marquette. Congrats to CWSGUY, great win, and that Wisconsin game is going to be an unbeaten showdown it looks like. Nice.

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
Yea, he didn't really miss anything. And they were all 3's! :(

He's incredibly tough to watch when he's missing. The end of the game was exactly like the end of the first half with the teams reversed.

Oh well, I can go back to rooting for Monson. I like him and I like the Gophers.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 05:23 AM)
I bet on Marquette to win straight up. MONEY IN THE BANK!!! All of Duke's slow, white guys simply can't handle the speed of Marquette. Congrats to CWSGUY, great win, and that Wisconsin game is going to be an unbeaten showdown it looks like. Nice.

Gosh damn -- did McRoberts cry on every shot that he missed or what?

Obviously, the guards played spectacular tonight, but Oose played a real good game defensively. He got beat a couple of times, but for the most part, held his own with McRoberts and the other Duke bigs down low.

What more can be said about the three guards up front? Matthews didn't have a great game, but James played unbelievably well. McNeal played great, too, although I wish he had that take-it-to-the-basket attitude on every possession; I don't like him taking a dribble and a step-back shot, which he tends to do once or twice a game.

I'm stoked... for about the first twenty-five minutes, it just felt like a game that Marquette would hang around in but not ever take the lead with. Duke got up five, but that little in-bounds play to James got 'em going.

F'n A, Marquette! :headbang