Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)
I'm probably the only one who, on Thanksgiving, watched Virginia Tech-Western Michigan over the NFL games.

Nope, I watched a lot more college BBall than NFL games this thanksgiving. I only watched about 15 minutes of the NFL, the first thanksgiving with me hardly watching any.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indiana, Minny, and Wiscy all lost to real good mid majors.

but mid-majors nonetheless. i didn't specify whether they were good or bad. indiana, minnesota, and wisconsin were all favored in those games and lost. as did penn state. again, not a good early season portion of the schedule.

my bad on iowa.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
Indiana, Minny, and Wiscy all lost to real good mid majors. Iowa hasn't lost to a mid major, they've lost to Bama and Nova who are both pretty solid teams. Penn State is the only one on that list with a bad loss.

The SIU loss isn't so surprising for Gopher fans. The loss to Marist, though...

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)
but mid-majors nonetheless. i didn't specify whether they were good or bad. indiana, minnesota, and wisconsin were all favored in those games and lost. as did penn state. again, not a good early season portion of the schedule.

my bad on iowa.

Well I guess you can keep calling the Valley a mid major but that league has proven that they can play with anyone. And as far as being favored, Marist and Southern Illinois are both better teams than Minnesota so I didn't see the lines for that game but I certainly wouldn't consider those upsets. And Wisconsin lost to one of the best "mid majors" around. Missouri State is a very good basketball team. Off the top of my head, the last year and a week, the MVC has beat: LSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana, Pittsburgh, Kansas, and Tennesee, not to mention a 1 point loss to Illinois last season. You can call the Valley a mid major all you want, but this conference can compete with anyone.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 09:53 PM)
Well I guess you can keep calling the Valley a mid major but that league has proven that they can play with anyone. And as far as being favored, Marist and Southern Illinois are both better teams than Minnesota so I didn't see the lines for that game but I certainly wouldn't consider those upsets. And Wisconsin lost to one of the best "mid majors" around. Missouri State is a very good basketball team. Off the top of my head, the last year and a week, the MVC has beat: LSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana, Pittsburgh, Kansas, and Tennesee, not to mention a 1 point loss to Illinois last season. You can call the Valley a mid major all you want, but this conference can compete with anyone.

well, i think most people would refer to the valley as a mid-major league. does that mean it isn't good or isn't a great league? nope. does that mean they can't compete? nope. i never said that. what i said is big ten teams have had bad losses in the early season to teams from mid-major leagues that they were favored over. i didn't intend it to be a moratorium on how the mvc stacks up against other leagues.

and yes, i know missouri state is a good basketball team. but going into that game who would have been favored and expected to win? missouri state a good team, or wisconsin which returns a bunch of players, was regarded as the best team in the big ten outside of ohio state, and is currently ranked in the top-10 (not for long, tho). i think most people would have selected wisconsin. instead they lost, which was another bad loss for the big ten.

Despite the struggles of the middle and bottom of the Big Ten the conference is likely to get 5 bids (Illinois, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and likely Michigan). Purdue, Iowa, and Indiana will be hurt by the lack of depth in the conference if they are going to push for bids.

Butler hammering Gonzaga 37-20 late in the first half in the NIT Season Tip-Off Final in Madison Square Garden.

If they win, they will have had to beat Notre Dame, Indiana, Tennessee and Gonzaga to do it. Not a bad lineup to take down for the mid-major from Indianapolis.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 07:17 PM)
Row, they're still mid-majors. :P

What does that make Iowa State then? :D

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
well, i think most people would refer to the valley as a mid-major league. does that mean it isn't good or isn't a great league? nope. does that mean they can't compete? nope. i never said that. what i said is big ten teams have had bad losses in the early season to teams from mid-major leagues that they were favored over. i didn't intend it to be a moratorium on how the mvc stacks up against other leagues.

and yes, i know missouri state is a good basketball team. but going into that game who would have been favored and expected to win? missouri state a good team, or wisconsin which returns a bunch of players, was regarded as the best team in the big ten outside of ohio state, and is currently ranked in the top-10 (not for long, tho). i think most people would have selected wisconsin. instead they lost, which was another bad loss for the big ten.

I understand where you're coming from and I really didn't intend to make this into an argument, which I did :bang . Anyways, the point I was trying to make is that the losses those teams have besides Penn State aren't bad at all and wont hurt any of those teams come March. That is all. And I'm a little sensitive to the whole valley, mid major thing I guess you could say. :P

Edited by Rowand44

It sucks that Wisconsin lost, but they went 1-15 from the 3 point line so the fact they only lost by 2 is not so bad. Also it has to be brutal to have a game the Friday after Thanksgiving before 12 in the morning.

I didnt see the game at all, but most Wisconsin boards that I read said that this game would be a test. Bad news is they lost, good news is that its not even 2007 yet so might as well take a few close loses now and grow.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 07:37 PM)
It sucks that Wisconsin lost, but they went 1-15 from the 3 point line so the fact they only lost by 2 is not so bad. Also it has to be brutal to have a game the Friday after Thanksgiving before 12 in the morning.

I didnt see the game at all, but most Wisconsin boards that I read said that this game would be a test. Bad news is they lost, good news is that its not even 2007 yet so might as well take a few close loses now and grow.

Like I said earlier MSU was really psyched for the game. If Wisconsin took them at all lightly. (I don't know for sure) I knew they would have their hands full.

Im sure they didnt take them lightly. Just looking at the boxscores and reading the articles, it seems Wisconsin was down huge in the first half, but actually was able to come back and make it competitive.

Ill just write it off to 2 things, 1) Wisconsin played a good team, but they need to be ready to take every teams best punch if they want to stay a top 15 team, 2) I can understand coming out sluggish the morning after Thanksgiving.

1-15 shooting from 3 is just not going to get it done, but that is something Wisconsin can work on.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
not a good early season for the big ten so far. indiana, minnesota, wisconsin, iowa, penn state all going down to mid-majors. expect that list to grow.

Well Indiana lost to the NIT Tip-Off Champs, who also beat Gonzaga, Tennessee, and Notre Dame. If that's got to be our bad loss, I'll take it.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
So our game tomorrow is at noon on espnu which of course I don't get at home. And the thing is, I doubt any of the sports bars are going to have the game on with football and such. Anyone have any suggestions?

Radio feed online 4 me.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)
My onscreen guide shows no SIU game.

Tomorrow at noon, it's a tournament game so the teams wouldn't have been scheduled.

Creighton almost blows it but hangs on for a 2 point win. Now I'm hoping the Shocks can some how beat LSU.

Edited by Rowand44