Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 05:11 PM)
They were one of the least deserving comparatively speaking. All teams have to win 6 games in order to win, but they were one of the worst to ever do it(Since '86 atleast). It's not hard to understand and there is no denying this. You act like I'm the first to come up with such a comment.

And everytime you watched them they were dominant last season? You must not have watched many regular season games then. They were far from terrific. That said, they do have a shot again at the NT this year. I would just be very surprised if they do it. There are better teams out there.

That Florida team was very good, they absolutely dominated the tournament, only had one close game. You can argue that they were one of the worse teams to win it in a while but that can be argued any way. That team was very good and they're very good again this year.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 11:15 PM)
That Florida team was very good, they absolutely dominated the tournament, only had one close game. You can argue that they were one of the worse teams to win it in a while but that can be argued any way. That team was very good and they're very good again this year.

Which makes Kansas fans even more annoyed.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 05:11 PM)
They were one of the least deserving comparatively speaking. All teams have to win 6 games in order to win, but they were one of the worst to ever do it(Since '86 atleast). It's not hard to understand and there is no denying this. You act like I'm the first to come up with such a comment.

And everytime you watched them they were dominant last season? You must not have watched many regular season games then. They were far from terrific. That said, they do have a shot again at the NT this year. I would just be very surprised if they do it. There are better teams out there.

It was certainly a down year with no dominant teams, but there have still been worse teams that won it, especially if you're just talking talent-wise. I don't think 83 NC State, 85 Villanova, 88 Kansas (outside of Manning of course), 97 Arizona, 98 Kentucky off the top of my head were better than Florida, and you could probably argue that teams like 93 UNC and 95 UCLA weren't all that great either. Most of those teams were lower seeds that went on a roll, and the other two (Kansas and Kentucky) just weren't that loaded talent-wise. The only real difference is they had to beat some good teams in the tournament, which you can't blame Florida for.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 03:21 AM)
You do know that 1997 Arizona is the only team to ever beat three #1 seeds, beat 2 all time good teams in Kansas and Kentucky of 1997, and had 2 NBA long time guards and the tournament MOP in Miles Simon, right?

I wasn't arguing accomplishments, clearly they earned it. However, IIRC they entered the tournament as a #7 seed, and they didn't really have any inside presence to speak of. Plus Terry wasn't really that big a factor, he was coming off the bench at the time.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)
I wasn't arguing accomplishments, clearly they earned it. However, IIRC they entered the tournament as a #7 seed, and they didn't really have any inside presence to speak of. Plus Terry wasn't really that big a factor, he was coming off the bench at the time.

Actually, they were a #4 seed.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)
Actually, they were a #4 seed.

You're right. Their 25-9 regular season record isn't exactly impressive, though Miles Simon was academically ineligible for the first semester.

I would say they're somewhat similar then, with Arizona having a clear guard edge and Florida having a clear edge inside...

Since we are discussing Florida's team from last year, I heard a Billy Donovan interview today (it was taped, so I am not sure when it aired originally). This is what he said about last year's team.

He said they had lost approx 70% of their scoring from the previous year, losing Roberson, Lee and somebody else I can't recall. He told his team before last season that it would have to be different. He told them he wasn't looking for someone to score 20-25 points a game. He said they needed to build a team that would play together for the team first with personal achievement taking a back seat. He said they needed to have a team where on any given night, anyone could score 25, but that on average their goal was for all starters to average 10-15 points.

He then said that last year's team bought into that like on other team he has every been around. He said they not only had the talent, but they had the mental acuity in terms of basketball to make it happen. He said every team is different, regardless of talent. What makes a great team, a winning team, is what they bring together collectively between the ears and add it to their talents. Last year's team did exactly what he wanted and that translated into a National Championship. He said teams like that are very rare and the fact that they all came back just shows that they put personal goals on the back burner.

I'm not sure how a basketball purist would say that is undeserved, but hey, that's just me.

Evansville thumps Drake tonight 78-57 to go 9-4 after losing their first 2 games. With their next two games at Bradley and Northern Iowa, we'll see quickly if they are truly making any headway in the MVC.

Indiana State also beat Purdue tonight 89-70. I've heard of overlooking a team, but damn, that's a thumpin.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 30, 2006 -> 04:18 AM)
Xavier over Illinois 65-57

yep. just not real good this year. the league has the potential to be brutal (even in a weak year) if some things don't change.

this team has some inherent athletic weaknesses. those can be overcome by smart play, but that ain't happening right now.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Dec 30, 2006 -> 04:16 AM)
DePaul 97 - 67 Northwestern St.

Sammy Mejia with 40.

The way DePaul is playing right now, combined with the general weakness of the Big East this year, and you could probably make a case for the Demons being a top three team (in the BE) this year. I hate saying this, but if Marquette played them today, I think DePaul would win by a pretty decent margin (at least 10).

Heading into conference play, I'm not too confident. We were only up by one on Savanah State at halftime -- although we've raised that lead to 16 in a very short amount of time -- but I'm still worried. One good sign from this game is that Wes Matthews looks to be taking control on the offensive end, as he already has 19 points with 3/4ths of a half to go.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 30, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)
The way DePaul is playing right now, combined with the general weakness of the Big East this year, and you could probably make a case for the Demons being a top three team (in the BE) this year. I hate saying this, but if Marquette played them today, I think DePaul would win by a pretty decent margin (at least 10).

I don't think you can make either case. DePaul has been very inconsistent this year and while Marquette has had their struggles game to game as well, they have shown more than DePaul so far. I wouldn't be that surprised if DePaul had a good night and beat Marquette, but you were implying they are the better team right now and I don't think you can say that.

As for the Big East, it's not as bad as you were saying. Other than highly ranked UConn and Pitt, Notre Dame is playing well and ranked, and West Virginia probably will be ranked after their win over UConn today. I'd be very surprised if DePaul ended up being top 6 in the conference and that's not even an insult to the team. The conference still has a lot of quality teams even though most aren't near as good as last year.

How about West Virginia? They are looking at another good season. Beilein has his team at 11-1 with his top four scorers gone and only 6 returners of any sort. Talk about a coach.

Final note, I'm watching Missouri State and Creighton on the duece right now. So far it's a good, high paced game. These teams can freaking shoot.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Dec 30, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
I don't think you can make either case. DePaul has been very inconsistent this year and while Marquette has had their struggles game to game as well, they have shown more than DePaul so far. I wouldn't be that surprised if DePaul had a good night and beat Marquette, but you were implying they are the better team right now and I don't think you can say that.

DePaul started the year off poorly, but they've taken off since December, winning six of seven -- the one loss being a one point OT loss AT UAB. They've played some great basketball since that Kansas game. It also looks that while Marquette's record is currently better than DePaul's, our OOC schedule pales in comparison to DePaul's. The only true road game Marquette had was at Vandy, whereas DePaul played games at Bradley, Northwestern, and the afformentioned UAB.

I've seen my Golden Eagles play all year, and as much as I'd like to say that we're a Sweet 16 lock, it just ain't true. We still have no consistent threat from beyond the ark, along with no inside post presence.

I won't paint everything in a bad light. The potential is there. Obviously, the three guards have the potential to be one of the top backcourts in the country. A couple of guys on the team (Cubillan, Fitzgerald, Hayward) have the potential to become consistent three-point threats.

I'll leave it at this; I'm very worried heading into conference play. Marquette was supposed to be a top three-four BE team, and I worry that we'll be closer to the middle of the pack (six-seven). I guess we will see...