Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 01:03 AM)
You could play a girls high school team and you'd call it a dangerous game. And then you'd probly call the upset. :P

You so funny, expect a nice text message early tomorrow as we're starting our party before the Bears game. :P

Anywho, back to college bball...obviously it's the first game but that was a big L for Wichita State tonight, you just can't lose at home in this conference. They'll definitely be fired up for the game in Carbondale on Monday, we gotta protect our court.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 02:24 AM)
As far as Illinois goes in their loss to Xavier, all i gotta say is they are better off without Dee and James.

If this years Illini had gotten the same homer refs that Dee and James Illni did, they'd have won too. And by more than 4 points.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 30, 2006 -> 04:26 PM)
DePaul started the year off poorly, but they've taken off since December, winning six of seven -- the one loss being a one point OT loss AT UAB. They've played some great basketball since that Kansas game. It also looks that while Marquette's record is currently better than DePaul's, our OOC schedule pales in comparison to DePaul's. The only true road game Marquette had was at Vandy, whereas DePaul played games at Bradley, Northwestern, and the afformentioned UAB.

I've seen my Golden Eagles play all year, and as much as I'd like to say that we're a Sweet 16 lock, it just ain't true. We still have no consistent threat from beyond the ark, along with no inside post presence.

I won't paint everything in a bad light. The potential is there. Obviously, the three guards have the potential to be one of the top backcourts in the country. A couple of guys on the team (Cubillan, Fitzgerald, Hayward) have the potential to become consistent three-point threats.

I'll leave it at this; I'm very worried heading into conference play. Marquette was supposed to be a top three-four BE team, and I worry that we'll be closer to the middle of the pack (six-seven). I guess we will see...

Nah, you guys should be fine.

I've got much more to worry about. We have no real inside presence when Chandler is shooting from the outside, Sammy absolutely needs to be consistent, and the recent streak of good games, although against decent competition, isn't BE-caliber. Coach Wainwright still has to prove he can do it and shake off those horrible early losses. Playing st. johns and south florida twice, I believe, should really help us out as probably 9 wins would be a must to get over those bad losses.

One can only dream and be hopeful of somehow winning our next 3 at st. johns, at nova, and vs. pittsburgh though... :pray

QUOTE(danman31 @ Dec 30, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
I don't think you can make either case. DePaul has been very inconsistent this year and while Marquette has had their struggles game to game as well, they have shown more than DePaul so far. I wouldn't be that surprised if DePaul had a good night and beat Marquette, but you were implying they are the better team right now and I don't think you can say that.

As for the Big East, it's not as bad as you were saying. Other than highly ranked UConn and Pitt, Notre Dame is playing well and ranked, and West Virginia probably will be ranked after their win over UConn today. I'd be very surprised if DePaul ended up being top 6 in the conference and that's not even an insult to the team. The conference still has a lot of quality teams even though most aren't near as good as last year.

How about West Virginia? They are looking at another good season. Beilein has his team at 11-1 with his top four scorers gone and only 6 returners of any sort. Talk about a coach.

Well, I wouldn't be too surprised either way. And hopefully notre dame severely punishes their player with the drug charges. That west virginia coach is definitely very good...

Edited by SleepyWhiteSox

Salukis up 38-23 at halftime over Witchita State at the SIU Arena!

Salukis look really good on offense with Jamal Tatum on the bench. I like Jamal but he does tend to dribble too much and not move the ball.

Falker rules, BTW!

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 09:11 PM)
Salukis knock off Witchita State by 5.

SIU may have played their best all around game of the night.

Shockers lose 4 in a row.

Very similar to the WKU game from earlier in the year to be honest, get off to a big lead and just kind of coast in the 2nd half and hold on. Good win for us, definitely not a bad loss for WSU but that loss to UNI at home is a killer, just cause you can't lose at home. The 0-2 start is a very tough hole already because the Valley is so deep this year that it's going to be hard to sustain success over a period of several games. I never thought(still don't) that WSU was the best team in the Valley or even in the top 2-3, but they're a good team and they'll have their say in this race, no doubt.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 10:44 PM)
Very similar to the WKU game from earlier in the year to be honest, get off to a big lead and just kind of coast in the 2nd half and hold on. Good win for us, definitely not a bad loss for WSU but that loss to UNI at home is a killer, just cause you can't lose at home. The 0-2 start is a very tough hole already because the Valley is so deep this year that it's going to be hard to sustain success over a period of several games. I never thought(still don't) that WSU was the best team in the Valley or even in the top 2-3, but they're a good team and they'll have their say in this race, no doubt.

Yeah, how much longer do you have to keep that sig?

We want Shaw and Mullins!!

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)
Yeah, how much longer do you have to keep that sig?

We want Shaw and Mullins!!

A long freakin time, unfortunately. That sig does rock though, it will be revealed in due time.

EDIT: Brian, have you ever seen the arena that packed before? That was easily the most people I've ever seen there in my time, it was pretty awesome.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 11:09 PM)
A long freakin time, unfortunately. That sig does rock though, it will be revealed in due time.

EDIT: Brian, have you ever seen the arena that packed before? That was easily the most people I've ever seen there in my time, it was pretty awesome.

Was hard to tell on TV. They actually showed the game instead of the fans, if you can believe it.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 02:06 PM)
Yes of course. I liked how he had his own little way of saying 'f*** you Miles Brand'. :lolhitting

All I wanted to hear was the postgame stuff. I knew that would be entertaining. I loved Knight tweeking everyone at different points from Brand, to grabbing the one kid by the chin, pushing another, and responding to how much his players said he loved him by saying how great he must be. Its good to be the King.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 11:28 PM)
I wish Vitale knew that's been IU's policy forever.

Vitale kept b****ing about IU not being there, did he ever stop to think that one R. Montgomery Knight didn't want them down there? He couldn't even mention IU by name once during any of his talks. That is telling all by itself.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 12:49 PM)
Vitale kept b****ing about IU not being there, did he ever stop to think that one R. Montgomery Knight didn't want them down there? He couldn't even mention IU by name once during any of his talks. That is telling all by itself.

I was thinking the same thing while watching/listening the ceremonies and press conferences. It definitely seems to still be a touchy subject for him.

It's not a big deal, but Indiana did release this statement.