Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 03:29 PM)
Well as Ive already shown Illinois has a better resume than most of the last teams selected.

Im not going to go through every single reason, but if you look at the RPI, SOS, etc the Big 10 teams are in the top in every category.

Teams like Illinois are getting hurt because unlike the Big East or Big 12, the top 2 teams in the Big 10 are much harder to beat. If Illinois, MSU, etc only won 1 game against OSU or Wisconsin, they would be considered locks.

Why should they be punished because the top 2 teams are superior than other conferences top 2 teams?

That's the funny thing. IU's done that, and they're still not considered a lock on the other tourney status page ESPN runs (not that I'm worried or anything).

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see Lunardi toned it down a bunch from having 9 teams from the ACC get in last week, to this week's 8. (the most any one conference has ever got was 7)

Sure bracketology is fun to look at, but this guy has never even been close to predicting a damn thing. Let alone, a first round matchup. Last year I think he had Syracuse going from a bubble team to a 4 seed in one week. Probably the best job at espn, with the best security... if he's wrong, who gives a s***??

Edited by watchtower41

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 03:08 PM)
Glad to see Lunardi toned it down a bunch from having 9 teams from the ACC get in last week, to this week's 8. (the most any one conference has ever got was 7)

Sure bracketology is fun to look at, but this guy has never even been close to predicting a damn thing. Let alone, a first round matchup. Last year I think he had Syracuse going from a bubble team to a 4 seed in one week. Probably the best job at espn, with the best security... if he's wrong, who gives a s***??

Isnt he a professor at St Joes or someting like that?

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 09:08 PM)
Last year I think he had Syracuse going from a bubble team to a 4 seed in one week.

Well, Syracuse did go from a outside-bubble team to a 5 seed in a week, so he wasn't too far off.

But yeah, I agree on the rest. He is one of the worst braketologists out there.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 03:16 PM)
Isnt he a professor at St Joes or someting like that?

Not a professor. He's the Assistant Vice President for University Communication. He also is a member of the radio crew for basketball games and joins Funny Phil Martelli on his coach's show.

I don't understand why everyone gets their collective panties in a bunch every week when Lunardi's bracketology comes out. It's pretty easy to enjoy it weekly if you keep the following in mind:

1. This is NOT a prediction of what he thinks the bracket will look like come March.

2. This IS a snapshot of what the bracket could look like if the season ended today.

3. It does NOT take into accout what games teams have left and how they might finish. See #2

4. This is a conversation piece and nothing more. Basketball season is way to volatile to do anything but look at each week in isolation. The matchups and tournament sites are just things to talk about. This would be pretty boring if all he did was name 64 teams each week.

I haven't paid much attention to Lunardi's final bracket the past 2-3 years, but his final bracket used to be damned close. When I first started checking his bracket regularly, he never missed more than 2 teams in the field and most teams were within one seed line.

Unless his final brackets have gone into the tank in the past couple of years, I don't see how one can see he is a terrible bracketologist.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 05:15 PM)
Unless his final brackets have gone into the tank in the past couple of years, I don't see how one can see he is a terrible bracketologist

As I've said earlier in this thread, he's no better or worse than the majority who try to do it. There are some out there who have had maybe a few seed lines closer than him by the end of his projections but he's certainly not awful.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 06:15 PM)
I don't understand why everyone gets their collective panties in a bunch every week when Lunardi's bracketology comes out. It's pretty easy to enjoy it weekly if you keep the following in mind:

1. This is NOT a prediction of what he thinks the bracket will look like come March.

2. This IS a snapshot of what the bracket could look like if the season ended today.

3. It does NOT take into accout what games teams have left and how they might finish. See #2

4. This is a conversation piece and nothing more. Basketball season is way to volatile to do anything but look at each week in isolation. The matchups and tournament sites are just things to talk about. This would be pretty boring if all he did was name 64 teams each week.

I haven't paid much attention to Lunardi's final bracket the past 2-3 years, but his final bracket used to be damned close. When I first started checking his bracket regularly, he never missed more than 2 teams in the field and most teams were within one seed line.

Unless his final brackets have gone into the tank in the past couple of years, I don't see how one can see he is a terrible bracketologist.

:notworthy

thank you for typing what i was feeling; why do people care so much what this guy projects would happen at this time in the season?? i enjoy it because i can compare my own rankings to his to get a feel for teams' situations as the season winds down

The bucks eek one out against the worst team in the big ten. That game was highlighted by horrible coaching by Thad Matta. He refused to adjust to the spread out zone by PSU while they were putting two players on both sides of Oden he didnt spread the floor to create open shots. That wont work in tourney time, because alot of teams make the miracle shots that PSU made tonight.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 08:57 PM)
Add Wichita State to the popped bubble teams. They go down by 4 to Drake.

Remember when the media was crowning them the team to beat in the MVC? My bad, I figured the team to beat in the MVC would be the team who has won or had a share in the conference title the last 5 years straight!