• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 09:50 AM)
The Illinois ISU stands for I Screwed Up

Ouch that one hurts,

To bad it now takes a 25 average act to get in,

But i am not going to argue over the fact that the basketball team sucks, But their coach Porter Mosier is a really good coach.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)
I don't even know how to summarize that one, except to say Calloway is studly.

IU wins Sampson's first game 91-66, and will play Butler for the rights to continue on to New York in the Pre-NIT.

I think I have only seen one game with more fouls called, ever! That game was painful to watch at times. A good win, but they'll have to be better tomorrow night.

For the record, the most fouls I have ever seen in a game was 85 when Evansville beat Butler 136-128 in 2OT in 1991 @ Hinkle Fieldhouse. Evansville committed 46 fouls and Butler 39. I do remember that had four players on the floor with four fouls each and a walk-on playing at the end. The rest of the team had fouled out. Evansville was 46-63 at the FT line and Butler made 51 FT's.

It was unlike any game I have ever seen.

Sorry for my trip down nostalgia lane....

Edited by Rex Hudler

Notre Dame lost to Butler?!?!?! Butler is only the 3rd or 4th best team in the Horizon this year, that's a horrible loss. Also, Boston College got run out of their own gym by Vermont tonight. Wow....

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 09:06 PM)
Illini open the season with an 80-35 win over AP.

Looks like Jamar had a good game, hope his injury is nothing serious.

That would be a disaster if it is. As for the game....I'm glad Carlwell isn't redshirting, and I wish Semrau was (but then again I said that a couple weeks ago). The length and depth of the bigs on this team is going to give teams all kinds of hell trying to score. Should be interesting to watch.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
Iowa defeats the Citadel.

Freeman had like 11 dimes, ran the point great, that Looby guy had like 14 rebounds, and Cyrus Tate looked good in limited action (ugh, NIU had him signed, sealed and delivered once upon a time...:(). But the story was Haluska, he was en fuego. I still think this Iowa team will be down though, but who knows.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
UNI vs Washington tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if the Panthers take the Huskies down, in fact I'm expecting the upset here.

In Seattle?? Hell no, not unless Washington just decides to not play defense again like they did last night. But they are aware UNI can play, so they'll try enough on defense to get it done.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)
In Seattle?? Hell no, not unless Washington just decides to not play defense again like they did last night. But they are aware UNI can play, so they'll try enough on defense to get it done.

Washington never defends, I'm telling ya UNI will play with them, I honestly think they'll get it done. We'll see though.

Bobby Knight slapped another kid tonight.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 11:28 PM)
Washington never defends, I'm telling ya UNI will play with them, I honestly think they'll get it done. We'll see though.

You are right about Washington, but it's a road game and even with them not defending, Washington has too many guns not to score at least in the 70's. Not sure if UNI can keep up. It won't be a blowout or anything though.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 05:01 AM)
Notre Dame lost to Butler?!?!?! Butler is only the 3rd or 4th best team in the Horizon this year, that's a horrible loss. Also, Boston College got run out of their own gym by Vermont tonight. Wow....

Marquette almost lost. We (sorry, habit) pulled it out in OT, but it was ugly.

To paint a picture for y'all:

-Marquette took 18 more FGs than Idaho State.

-Marquette took 26 (!) more FTs than Idaho State.

-Idaho State turned the ball over 24 times to Marquette's 11 (actually, 13).

And Marquette won by all of three points. The shooting was atrocious. The Eagles shot 20% from beyond the arc (5-for-25), a much better (heh) 29% from the field total, and a shiny 51.6% from the free throw line.

We play like that tomorrow, and we won't even get a chance to face Texas Tech. Detroit will run us out of our own f***ing gym.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
You are right about Washington, but it's a road game and even with them not defending, Washington has too many guns not to score at least in the 70's. Not sure if UNI can keep up. It won't be a blowout or anything though.

We'll see my friend. No point in arguing predictions. ;)

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 11:32 PM)
Marquette almost lost. We (sorry, habit) pulled it out in OT, but it was ugly.

To paint a picture for y'all:

-Marquette took 18 more FGs than Idaho State.

-Marquette took 26 (!) more FTs than Idaho State.

-Idaho State turned the ball over 24 times to Marquette's 11 (actually, 13).

And Marquette won by all of three points. The shooting was atrocious. The Eagles shot 20% from beyond the arc (5-for-25), a much better (heh) 29% from the field total, and a shiny 51.6% from the free throw line.

We play like that tomorrow, and we won't even get a chance to face Texas Tech. Detroit will run us out of our own f***ing gym.

Yeah, I saw you guys struggled against like High Point the other night too. Does this have to do with the fact that Marquette has nothing inside at all, other than Ousmane Barro *cringes*??

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 06:19 AM)
Yeah, I saw you guys struggled against like High Point the other night too. Does this have to do with the fact that Marquette has nothing inside at all, other than Ousmane Barro *cringes*??

Actually, no. Oose has been okay. No inside game, but he's doing a good job of cleaning up the glass.

The "4th best backcourt in the country" is the problem right now. I could go on and on about it, so I'll try to keep the "Why Marquette Currently Sucks" points to a minimum:

-James gets to the basket any time he wants to, but then he seemingly throws up poor shots when he gets to the hoop.

-McNeal is SPECTACULAR defensively, but really shouldn't be a main feature in the offense. His jumper isn't where it needs to be yet, and he frequently turns the ball over trying to force a drive.

-Wes Matthews doesn't get the ball nearly enough. He's very tough to guard and scores in traffic down low. Pathetic that Marquette's most effective scorer had under ten points, huh?

-The offense as a whole is in a world of hurt right now. Teams are zoning us and we can't answer. I hope to God I'm wrong, but I fear that the people who pegged this team as top 20 (myself included) greatly underestimated the loss of Novak. Lazar Hayward, Marquette's best freshman, was supposed to be able to hit from long range, and he hasn't even shot the ball any further than the block yet, and Dan Fitzgerald, our tall white dude who can shoot the trey looks extremely hesitant, despite the fact that really, his main job is to hit threes.

-Did I mention that, while this team gets to the line and will get to the line a heckuva lot this season, that we suck at the charity stripe? At one point tonight, James missed three in a row. Fitzgerald could've iced it at the end with two at the line (when Marquette was trailing by one), and he could only bury one. You saw the numbers... 51%. Brutal. Of all people, Oose Barro was able to put the game away at the line with two swooshes, and his shot is one of the worst you'll see in all of D1 basketball.

-Defensively, this team is tough. There's some overaggressiveness at times, but the three guards, including freshman David Cubillan off the bench, are extremely good defenders. I still worry about when we have to go up against the Hubbard's or Hansborough's or Grey's of the NCAA, but I think we'll be able to play really strong defense.

We'll see tomorrow against Detroit. If they play like they did last nite, they will lose by 20, possibly more. Who knows, maybe it's better that they go down and have some time off to work on -- well, everything offense. Would much rather have a shot to play Texas Tech next week, but at this point, I can totally see Detroit pulling off the W in front of the Marquette faithful.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 12:32 AM)
Actually, no. Oose has been okay. No inside game, but he's doing a good job of cleaning up the glass.

The "4th best backcourt in the country" is the problem right now. I could go on and on about it, so I'll try to keep the "Why Marquette Currently Sucks" points to a minimum:

-James gets to the basket any time he wants to, but then he seemingly throws up poor shots when he gets to the hoop.

-McNeal is SPECTACULAR defensively, but really shouldn't be a main feature in the offense. His jumper isn't where it needs to be yet, and he frequently turns the ball over trying to force a drive.

-Wes Matthews doesn't get the ball nearly enough. He's very tough to guard and scores in traffic down low. Pathetic that Marquette's most effective scorer had under ten points, huh?

-The offense as a whole is in a world of hurt right now. Teams are zoning us and we can't answer. I hope to God I'm wrong, but I fear that the people who pegged this team as top 20 (myself included) greatly underestimated the loss of Novak. Lazar Hayward, Marquette's best freshman, was supposed to be able to hit from long range, and he hasn't even shot the ball any further than the block yet, and Dan Fitzgerald, our tall white dude who can shoot the trey looks extremely hesitant, despite the fact that really, his main job is to hit threes.

-Did I mention that, while this team gets to the line and will get to the line a heckuva lot this season, that we suck at the charity stripe? At one point tonight, James missed three in a row. Fitzgerald could've iced it at the end with two at the line (when Marquette was trailing by one), and he could only bury one. You saw the numbers... 51%. Brutal. Of all people, Oose Barro was able to put the game away at the line with two swooshes, and his shot is one of the worst you'll see in all of D1 basketball.

-Defensively, this team is tough. There's some overaggressiveness at times, but the three guards, including freshman David Cubillan off the bench, are extremely good defenders. I still worry about when we have to go up against the Hubbard's or Hansborough's or Grey's of the NCAA, but I think we'll be able to play really strong defense.

We'll see tomorrow against Detroit. If they play like they did last nite, they will lose by 20, possibly more. Who knows, maybe it's better that they go down and have some time off to work on -- well, everything offense. Would much rather have a shot to play Texas Tech next week, but at this point, I can totally see Detroit pulling off the W in front of the Marquette faithful.

That sounds about right. I saw you guys against Providence late last year at Bradley Center (visiting a friend at Marquette) and that scouting report is spot on based on what I remembered. I thought you guys might struggled offensively early on because outside of Novak, your 3 point and free throw shooting left a lot to be desired. The guard depth and defense are good though, and Hayward is going to be real good as well, just some jitters I'm sure.

As for Illinois btw.....Carlwell made the right decision to not redshirt, and Semrau didn't. Semrau is just so lost (he was in the exhibitions too) and Carlwell, while a project on offense, is so big and strong that he'll contribute with blocks and rebounds and some easy dunks and such. It won't take long for Carlwell to take Marcus Arnold's minutes at all IMO as the backup 5 to Pruitt, and that spot is HUGE since you know there will be games where Pruitt has foul problems.

Vermont isn't a bad team, although there is no denying it was a really bad loss for Boston College.

Still, it is definitly a wake up call. No longer do you have the ACC player of the year in Craig Smith, no longer do you have Luis Hinnant, and when you add McClain and Williams to that inactive list your roster becomes mighty thin.

Dudley played all 40 minutes, only six players saw legit time.

Again, it was a horrible loss, but there isn't a doubt in my mind they'll bounce back.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 12:47 AM)
Vermont isn't a bad team, although there is no denying it was a really bad loss for Boston College.

Still, it is definitly a wake up call. No longer do you have the ACC player of the year in Craig Smith, no longer do you have Luis Hinnant, and when you add McClain and Williams to that inactive list your roster becomes mighty thin.

Dudley played all 40 minutes, only six players saw legit time.

Again, it was a horrible loss, but there isn't a doubt in my mind they'll bounce back.

Vermont will most likely win the AEast(them or the Great Danes), they're not a bad team at all. Still, obviously a game you got to win at home.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 01:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Vermont will most likely win the AEast(them or the Great Danes), they're not a bad team at all. Still, obviously a game you got to win at home.

Yea, my thoughts are all over the place trying to defend my team. Nothing should be taken away from Vermont, they'll win the American East in my opinion, they're an experienced team as well.

Obviously have to win at home as you said, but look at that rotation. Nobody expected Spears to play as much as he did, hell he wouldn't have had Williams and McClain not been suspended. Dudley played all 40 minutes.. They didn't shoot well.

They got beat, but there were alot of factors and reasons for why they did.