Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)
2nd time in two days I've seen a bracket that has Texas in the 8/9 game. I'm sitting here dumbfounded. I mean honestly, what have they done to get in the tournament(for those keeping score at home, the answer is nothing)? And why such a high seed if you do put them in?

If you're a major conference team you're rarely going to get lower than a 10 seed (though A&M did it last year). That'd just be super-bogus for some 5-seed, they're still a lot stronger than a good chunk of the mid-majors. If you're someone like Indiana or USC, don't you think they'd much rather play someone like UNLV than Durant and the Longhorns in the first round? The bubble teams from major conferences usually fall in the 8-10 range so they're playing a similar team to them in the first round and get one of the big boys in the second round.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 03:39 PM)
i think nw is kind of going by the same philosophy the football academies use in football. since you aren't going to bring in top talent, introduce a system that could get you some wins against teams that can't figure it out.

Yeah, they pretty much have to use that right now to stay competitive (or at least somewhat competitive). Even with their god-awful talent level they didn't get totally destroyed by OSU or Wisconsin at home. I wish they'd speed it up and try to run more against some of these little-sisters-of-the-poor teams that they play out of conference though since it keeps them in the game too when it probably shouldn't. Some quick-hitters out of it would be nice too, they often get in trouble when it gets down to 10, or when the ball gets knocked out of bounds with like 12 seconds left, or if they get pressed. Still, it's better than losing games like 80-40 on a regular basis...

Plus there are other stronger teams that run it like Georgetown, West Virginia and Air Force they just actually have athletes and/or guys that can shoot.

I am not a fan of the 1-3-1 defense though. That creates some absolutely awful matchups inside. A high-low offense can just destroy it, because they'll be swarming the guy in the high post while the guy on the low block is covered by a guard (since the low man has to cover both corners). It also hurts their rebounding. Plus they still allow the other team to get a ton of open 3's. I'd rather see them play a 2-3 so they can pack it in a little more and actually have a chance on the glass.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UNC had Byron Sanders, Mike Copeland, and David Noel manning the post with Hansbrough. None of those guys were even in the top 75 of their class. Wes Miller a walk-on transfer got 23 minutes a game last year. Reyshawn Terry was barely a top 75 recruit and was pretty much a freshmen in experience coming into last year.

Duke has 5 top 25 recruits on their roster, 7 top 40 recruits, and 9 top 60 recruits.

UNC had 2 top 25 recruits, 3 top 40, and 5 top 60 recruits. Noel, Terry, Miller, Sanders, Copeland etc were all rated 70 or above in their class, including Miller, Noel, Sanders, and Copeland not in top 100's.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 01:00 PM)
Kansas is just as young too...Paulus is crap and McRoberts is overrated. Suffer Rat Face

Let me add that UCLA is insanely young..no seniors and very few juniors on there squad.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 01:11 PM)
Duke has had better recruting classes than Kansas...There is no way of ever defending Duke. Coach K picked the wrong players and they suck together.

The only decent talent is Scheyer.

I can't really say that Duke sucks. They are still a top 20 team in this country and somehow they have a top 5 RPI (than again Arizona is in the top 10 based on RPI and frankly I don't think they are that good of a team). Still I'd be the first to admit Duke has some talent, I just don't expect them to win the tourney this year nor do I consider them one of the handful of very very good teams in this league.

They are still good though (better than my Hawkeyes, lol).

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 01:34 PM)
Its wierd thinking about a 1-2 seed for Wisconsin. The difference in the quality of opponents is astounding compared to where they generally are put (between 5-8).

(And looking at that bracket I dont know how Illinois didnt get in. Barring some major loss id say they are about 80% chance of making it right now.)

I think the big 10 only gets 4 teams in with Michigan State and Illinois battling for the last spot and Iowa being a sleeper (still have two games left with Illinois) if they can nearly win out there last few big 10 games (not counting the Wisconsin game, although a win against Wisconsin would do wonders for there RPI and for the team confidence).

And yes damn it I'm giving Iowa a small shot. :drink

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 05:06 PM)
I think the big 10 only gets 4 teams in with Michigan State and Illinois battling for the last spot and Iowa being a sleeper (still have two games left with Illinois)

No, you were defeated at AH earlier. Unless you are guaranteeing a BTT game.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 03:11 PM)
No, you were defeated at AH earlier. Unless you are guaranteeing a BTT game.

I'm just a tard. I'm thinking more so of the fact that its a good chance that we will play you guys the last game of big ten season and than in the first game of the BTT tourney.

Plus there are other stronger teams that run it like Georgetown, West Virginia and Air Force they just actually have athletes and/or guys that can shoot.

yeah, i really liked how georgetown ran it last year but they haven't been as efficient this year.

as for northwestern, i'd agree on your point of opening it up with some quick hitters, just something that gives a different look and switches it up a bit.

i will say i was impressed with coble and, to a lesser extent, nash. those kids are obviously far from finished products now but you can see the potential. plus they'll benefit from playing with each other for four years.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
http://espn.go.com/i/ncaa/07mens_MOCKbracket.gif

That would be a really nice bracket for Wisconsin. Florida/UNC on the other side.

Wisconsin has a lot of work to do before they get the number one seed. They have a very tough ending weekend and I dont think they can beat OSU in CBus nor MSU in East Lansing

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)
2nd time in two days I've seen a bracket that has Texas in the 8/9 game. I'm sitting here dumbfounded. I mean honestly, what have they done to get in the tournament(for those keeping score at home, the answer is nothing)? And why such a high seed if you do put them in?

I'm with you on this one as Texas is insanely overrated imo but if you're 6-3 in the big 12, everyone is going to have you in the tournament. They also have a very easy end to their big 12 schedule, they're going to get in, not to mention the committee wont leave Durant out of the tournament if Texas did fall near the bubble(they wont though).

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 09:26 PM)
Less than 20 hours. :headbang

Im so pumped for this game tomorrow! I H8 Cr8on! Lets hope Tatum can be a factor tomorrow, but deep thigh bruises can be pretty painful, but according to a guy on salukitalk, Tatum practiced today! :pray LETS GO DAWGS!

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
Im so pumped for this game tomorrow! I H8 Cr8on! Lets hope Tatum can be a factor tomorrow, but deep thigh bruises can be pretty painful, but according to a guy on salukitalk, Tatum practiced today! :pray LETS GO DAWGS!

Ya, those things hurt like hell(had one once in high school), I'm sure he'll at least attempt to play but who knows how long he'll be able to go. He did indeed practice today so that's a good sign, I can not wait to get to the arena tomorrow.

Okay, all things considered, I'll take only being down two at half. Our "star" has been brutal -- he needs to wake-up in the second half -- and McNeal's energy at the defensive end is missed.

Really, I don't know how they're within two. Probably because Hibbert and GT have missed some bunnies down low.