Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 03:09 PM)
If its at Iowa its much more difficult. Refs always keep the game close for the home team so Illinois would just have to out play them.

Correct, which is why if they win the 3 they should and win at Iowa, I'd say in for sure. Going 3-1 and losing that game is cutting it way, way too close though. I'm so pissed about today, they'd be in by just doing what they should in the last 4 (at least go 3-1) if they hold on and win.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 12:42 PM)
Tell you what go through this site RPI and tell me how many major conference teams have been left out of the tourney that had over 20 wins and were over .500 in conference.

4 teams are probably all the Big 10 gets, unless some teams get real hot. Had Iowa won today and regardless of the record they probably have the better overall resume plus the better conference record. Lucky for you guys we pissed it away with a f***ing inability to rebound anything.

Wisconsin had a zillion second chance points and again was able to shut down Haluska and Smith (you do it once and I am skeptical, twice and I tip my hat). f***, I don't know why but of all the games this year the Wisconsin ones piss me off the most cause we very well could have one those games (well that and the piss poor blown games against one of the other Iowa schools and ASU).

I will say this, Iowa right now is a borderline tourney team (if not a lock) but the problem is they were so terrible early on in the year that they probably aren't good enough to over come that hole (a win today would have been HUUUGE and now they'll have to have a couple big road wins and pretty much win out the big ten for them to have a chance).

Good win. I actually expected a close game like for that some reason today, and I'm glad it ended up that way. We needed to win a game like that.

Bassett and Wilmont carried us all day. It was nice to see them go inside, and not depend on the three so much today (only shot 9 in the game).

And wow, Stemler was absolutely horrid today. I hope he's only coming off the bench for now, because he really slows down what our offense is doing.

And as for the officiating, I think this is the first time in forever that IU has even got to the line in the first half at home. Also it was nice to finally get to watch an actual game being played. Because in our previous game at Iowa, the refs called 50+ fouls in the game. This was a huge improvement from that.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 01:07 PM)
Haha I cant believe some one is saying Iowa is better than Illinois.

Its almost impossible to win at Indiana and the fact that Illinois stayed in the game shows that they are atleast the 4th best team in the Big 10.

As for the Big 10 being down, that is some what perplexing. OSU and Wisconsin are both in the top 5, if one of them was in the 16 range and had loss to a team like Illinois etc that would put 4 Big 10 teams in the top 25. Just because the top of the Big 10 is better than most of the other leagues does not make the middle of the road teams bad.

Barring something crazy Illinois is in the tournament. I believe Iowa plays at Illinois to end the season and Im gonna say Illinois wins that game.

Considering we've played you guys as good as any team in the conference pretty much (on both basis) I think it is hard to say that Iowa is a bad team right now. Early in the season we had our struggles and we still lack a 3rd scorer but we aren't that bad of a squad. We won't make any noise even if we did by some shocking way make the tourney but I don't think Illinois is that much better than us and lets not forget Iowa didn't lose to Ill by that much (albeit it wasn't quite as close as the IU game).

I love the Illini complainers.

Bruce Weber had two chances to draw up a play and take the lead. One resulted in 15 seconds of passing back and forth right at the half court line that ended with a desperation three and the other was a clear five second call, probably closer to ten, in which no one moved.

Not only he a poor sport, a complainer, a whiner, but the guy is just a flat out bad coach. I'm glad he didn't shake the hands of our players, I wouldn't want that filth and scum touching our guys' hands.

Not to mention, our very own Zach Hansen shot the half court shot at halftime. I'll have him explain the rest. Haha.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 03:52 PM)
I love the Illini complainers.

Bruce Weber had two chances to draw up a play and take the lead. One resulted in 15 seconds of passing back and forth right at the half court line that ended with a desperation three and the other was a clear five second call, probably closer to ten, in which no one moved.

Not only he a poor sport, a complainer, a whiner, but the guy is just a flat out bad coach. I'm glad he didn't shake the hands of our players, I wouldn't want that filth and scum touching our guys' hands.

Not to mention, our very own Zach Hansen shot the half court shot at halftime. I'll have him explain the rest. Haha.

You are the biggest homer in the history of sports.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are the biggest homer in the history of sports.

Great post! Have fun in the NIT for the next few years or you explain what you disagree with and I'd be glad to continue this conversation without telling you how badly your team is going to suck for the next few years.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 04:01 PM)
Great post! Have fun in the NIT for the next few years or you explain what you disagree with and I'd be glad to continue this conversation without telling you how badly your team is going to suck for the next few years.

1st Rich got a wide open look that IU was extremely lucky didn't go down. The 5 second call was terrible. DJ wasn't close to him until for the couple of seconds and it wasn't anywhere close to 10 seconds. Secondly I find it funny that someone whose program has employed Bobby Knight and Kelvin Sampson would call Weber scum. Not to mention the way IU fans treated Mike Davis. Yeah you guys are full of class. This from the same guy who defended Bill Belichek after the Colts game.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1st Rich got a wide open look that IU was extremely lucky didn't go down. The 5 second call was terrible. DJ wasn't close to him until for the couple of seconds and it wasn't anywhere close to 10 seconds. Secondly I find it funny that someone whose program has employed Bobby Knight and Kelvin Sampson would call Weber scum. Not to mention the way IU fans treated Mike Davis. Yeah you guys are full of class. This from the same guy who defended Bill Belichek after the Colts game.

Whether or not he got an open look is irrelevant. If that was what Weber drew up, it's pathetic. Same with the second play. You come out of a time out, nobody is moving, and the guy has the ball for close to ten seconds being guarded for half of that? Please don't tell me you support those play calls and the play of your squad in the last minute. I could use a good laugh, but I don't want to s*** myself after the Chipotle I just ate.

I never said IU fans were full of class. So don't put words in my mouth. I couldn't care less about IU students not showing class to Bruce Weber or Mike Davis. When you have 10k drunk kids in a building, I don't expect them to think things all the way through. Just as I expected Illinois students to unjustly poke fun of Kelvin Sampson. It's part of the game, it's what makes college basketball.

So get off your high horse and make a post thats worth a damn.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)
Whether or not he got an open look is irrelevant. If that was what Weber drew up, it's pathetic. Same with the second play. You come out of a time out, nobody is moving, and the guy has the ball for close to ten seconds being guarded for half of that? Please don't tell me you support those play calls and the play of your squad in the last minute. I could use a good laugh, but I don't want to s*** myself after the Chipotle I just ate.

I never said IU fans were full of class. So don't put words in my mouth. I couldn't care less about IU students not showing class to Bruce Weber or Mike Davis. When you have 10k drunk kids in a building, I don't expect them to think things all the way through. Just as I expected Illinois students to unjustly poke fun of Kelvin Sampson. It's part of the game, it's what makes college basketball.

So get off your high horse and make a post thats worth a damn.

You have no idea what is called in the huddle. Did you ever play basketball? Plays break down all the time. We don't have a true PG (although I love Chet's heart, and yes this is Weber's fault) which makes things break down. On the last play Frazier picked up his dribble to soon, and then threw it to Pruitt. If you watched, screens were set initially for McBride, he didn't get open. Nobody moved to the ball. But yeah, that is Weber's fault. Bad coaches don't win as many games as Weber has won in the last 6 years.

And your hypocrisy towards Weber vs. Belichick is laughable at best.

Let me also say, that they didn't show Weber not shake hands with the players but if it didn't happen I disagree with him on that. He has some pretty good reasons for not shaking hands with a couple of IU's assistants though.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have no idea what is called in the huddle. Did you ever play basketball? Plays break down all the time. We don't have a true PG (although I love Chet's heart, and yes this is Weber's fault) which makes things break down. On the last play Frazier picked up his dribble to soon, and then threw it to Pruitt. If you watched, screens were set initially for McBride, he didn't get open. Nobody moved to the ball. But yeah, that is Weber's fault. Bad coaches don't win as many games as Weber has won in the last 6 years.

And your hypocrisy towards Weber vs. Belichick is laughable at best.

A lot of coach's could have done what Weber's done with the talent he's had. Talent wise, this is an Illinois squad that's "down" so to speak, as is Indiana. Nonetheless, in a down year, Sampson has revived his troops and turned this team into a real contender in the Big Ten when at the beginning of the year people said it was a two team conference.

I have played basketball, I'm well aware that plays break down. However, I don't believe these two plays can be excused. Both plays were failures on the inbounds play, luckily one resulted in the open look, still from three when shooting from behind the arch wasn't necessary.

No hypocrisy at all. My opinion of Belichick is what it is because I've met the man before and I've never seen someone do as he did with me. He took down my address and sent me and my two brothers personalized autograph's because all we had were random pieces of paper. Belichick loves to win, he shows class in doing so, and he gets pissed off when he doesn't. If you aren't that way, you don't belong on the field.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let me also say, that they didn't show Weber not shake hands with the players but if it didn't happen I disagree with him on that. He has some pretty good reasons for not shaking hands with a couple of IU's assistants though.

He ran off the court like a little b****. Atleast when Sampson was in Illinois, he didn't refuse an interview with ESPN despite knowing the abuse he'd receive from fans in the process. He's a snake.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 04:35 PM)
A lot of coach's could have done what Weber's done with the talent he's had. Talent wise, this is an Illinois squad that's "down" so to speak, as is Indiana. Nonetheless, in a down year, Sampson has revived his troops and turned this team into a real contender in the Big Ten when at the beginning of the year people said it was a two team conference.

I have played basketball, I'm well aware that plays break down. However, I don't believe these two plays can be excused. Both plays were failures on the inbounds play, luckily one resulted in the open look, still from three when shooting from behind the arch wasn't necessary.

Weber built a SIU program that was very down into what is now a consistent tourney team and MVC valley powerhouse. A lot of coaches have had more talent that Illinois and not won 37 games in a season. And there is a big difference between IU playing this season while healthy and Illinois having Jamar Smith, Brian Randle, and Chester Frazier all injured at times. If Sampson was so much better of a coach than Weber, IU shouldn't have lost at Illinois and shouldn't have needed our guards to choke today to win.

The 2nd play was a full court out of bounds play. Not exactly a quick hitter. Our problem is that we have no one who does a good job creating their own shot. McBride was covered well coming off the screens and Chester panicked. Bottom line is you have no idea what was called. Were they great play calls, probably not, but I guarantee what was run wasn't exactly what he called in the huddle.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the record, Weber did shake the players and coaches hands...

For the record, I was at the game and I watched him. He did that quick childish hand shake with his eyes looking at the floor with Sampson and then ran off the floor. He didn't make contact with one IU player.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 09:52 PM)
other was a clear five second call, probably closer to ten, in which no one moved.

I'm sorry, but you obviously were paying attention to the game. It was no where near ten seconds, or five seconds for that matter.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

Some thoughts on today's Illinois-Indiana game.

1) The Illini showed some heart out there today. When Pruitt sat down early after the 2 at best borderline calls, they could have folded and gone away. Instead they went into the half up 2.

2) If Chester Frazier had any redeemable basketball skills beyond his amazing toughness and hustle, he would be on his way to the NBA. Unfortunately he has a very low basketball IQ, cannot shoot, cannot finish, and makes dumb decisions.

3) They didn't show Weber go through the line, so I can't say whether he shook hands or not, but I will say this, I don't blame him if he didn't. While not being the classiest act, Sampson's failure to update Weber on the Gordon situation has serious reprecussions on Bruce Weber and his job security since he was unable to find an adequate replacement for Gordon that late in the recruiting process. Weber's recruiting failures are well documented and Sampson did something with the potential to undermine his job security. If someone did something like that to anyone on this board in their office, I doubt they would embrace that person.

4) Brian Randle has officially supplanted Brian Cook (pre-Senior year Cook) as the most frustrating player to watch at the University of Illinois. Randle should be a matchup nightmare. He can't shoot, but he finishes so well around the basket. Taller players can't guard him off the dribble and shorter players can't guard him in the post. He's just too damn passive out there and commits the dumbest fouls.

5) Hats off to the IU guards. They played great in the midrange game and really were the reason the Illini lost.

Chisox,

I more meant that its crazy to say that Illinois is only the 6th best team. I think an argument can be made for Illinois, MSU, or Iowa as the 4th best team. But to just blatantly write Illinois off because they lost at IU is some what perplexing.

I also think Big 10 will get minimum of 4 NCAA teams, and very likely 5.