Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry, but you obviously were paying attention to the game. It was no where near ten seconds, or five seconds for that matter.

And it actually bothers you though? Obsessed much?

It was over five seconds. The only debate Illinois fans can make is that DJ wasn't closely guarding him for five consecutive seconds.

It doesn't bother me at all. He's only embarrassing himself. If I was a recruit and traveled with the team as many youngsters do, I'd be completely turned off by Weber's performance today and against IU in general in the last six months.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 05:13 PM)
It was over five seconds. The only debate Illinois fans can make is that DJ wasn't closely guarding him for five consecutive seconds.

It doesn't bother me at all. He's only embarrassing himself. If I was a recruit and traveled with the team as many youngsters do, I'd be completely turned off by Weber's performance today and against IU in general in the last six months.

You guys are still talking about this game...IU defends their court, as they should. Weber had zero clue what to do with his lack of talent down the stretch.

Rock Chalk.

Yeah im sure most recruits are really turned off when a team loses a close one on the road?

Please Illinois and Indiana are basically at the exact same place in terms of the Big 10. In the past few years Illinois has dominated the Big 10, one bad year does not make a life time.

If I was a recruit I would be going to OSU or Wisconsin anyways. :)

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3) They didn't show Weber go through the line, so I can't say whether he shook hands or not, but I will say this, I don't blame him if he didn't. While not being the classiest act, Sampson's failure to update Weber on the Gordon situation has serious reprecussions on Bruce Weber and his job security since he was unable to find an adequate replacement for Gordon that late in the recruiting process. Weber's recruiting failures are well documented and Sampson did something with the potential to undermine his job security. If someone did something like that to anyone on this board in their office, I doubt they would embrace that person.

I was at the game, I watched his every move. Section K, row 36, Seat 8. He didn't shake the players hands.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 05:17 PM)
Yeah im sure most recruits are really turned off when a team loses a close one on the road?

Please Illinois and Indiana are basically at the exact same place in terms of the Big 10. In the past few years Illinois has dominated the Big 10, one bad year does not make a life time.

Its apparent a national title championship game does not help get top recruits either.....

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course, I'm moreso talking about the parents seeing the coach trying to sell them on U of I b**** and moan like a four year old.

Haha. Of course you'd go to wisco.

I just think Indiana and Illinois are at similar places. Illinois has done a little better in the recent past, Indiana is some what more up and coming. The biggest difference this season is the home game against Wisconsin. If Illinois had won and Indiana lost its most likely people would be saying that Illinois is a lock. Its pretty strange to think that just 1 game can make or break a 30 game season but thats what you are talking about when it comes to selection time.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
4 teams are probably all the Big 10 gets, unless some teams get real hot. Had Iowa won today and regardless of the record they probably have the better overall resume plus the better conference record. Lucky for you guys we pissed it away with a f***ing inability to rebound anything.

I will say this, Iowa right now is a borderline tourney team (if not a lock) but the problem is they were so terrible early on in the year that they probably aren't good enough to over come that hole (a win today would have been HUUUGE and now they'll have to have a couple big road wins and pretty much win out the big ten for them to have a chance).

Hate to nit-pick, but Iowa isn't near an NCAA bid, nor do I think a win today would have made too much of a difference.

RPI: 83

Record: 14-11(6-5 in 4th Best conference)

RPI: 56

3 best wins: Indiana-15(home), Michigan-57(Away), Michigan State- 40(Home)

RPI 50+ losses: Arizona State- 229(away), Northern Iowa-81(Home), Drake-109(away)

Getting in with an RPI in the 80's would make Iowa the lowest RPI team ever to get an at-large. I just don't see them getting in unless they make some serious noise starting now, but even that may be too late. With OSU, Wisconsin and Indiana as locks, I'd rank the chances of the rest of the teams like this(in order of likliness of getting in):

1. Illinois

2. Purdue

3. Michigan State

4. Iowa

5. Michigan

Illinois and Purdue are basically even to be honest. Using the relative factor, their RPI and SOS are identical. The difference with Illinois is that they hold a win over a RPI top 15 team and have fewer bad losses. Purdue does hold a head-to-head victory over them, however.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 11:37 PM)
This could be the finished for Bobby Knight and the Red Raiders. If they don't do something miraculous, they'll join Illinois in the NIT.

Can someone present me the case against Illinois and the NCAA? I would like to see it. I still think their a lock barring something very unusual happening.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 06:40 PM)
Can someone present me the case against Illinois and the NCAA? I would like to see it. I still think their a lock barring something very unusual happening.

I agree. I think Illinois will be in, if they win the games they're supposed to from here on out (vs. NW, vs. Michigan, @ Penn State).

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 11:42 PM)
Their resume sucks and have one half decent win....Indiana.

for the most part i'd agree with you. but there just isn't a lot of depth in college basketball this year. maybe 8-10 really good teams and then teams that are pretty similar. in that climate i still like their chances.

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 07:15 PM)
SIU beats Creighton at SIU arena! Huge Win! All alone in first place! I H8 Cr8on!

As Rowand almost has a heart attack at the arena. Tatum was no where near 100 percent today and played his heart out, so impressed with him. Creighton was out working us most of the 2nd half and then all the sudden we finally had enough and got back to defending. Our hardest week of the season coming up now, @ Mo State and @ Butler.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 07:33 PM)
Two words: Matt Shaw

:headbang

I think he's finally starting to realize that he can drive to the hoop and there isn't much any one can do to stop it as he's too quick for bigger guys and he's too strong for smaller guys, Matt was fantastic today.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 09:13 PM)
As Rowand almost has a heart attack at the arena. Tatum was no where near 100 percent today and played his heart out, so impressed with him. Creighton was out working us most of the 2nd half and then all the sudden we finally had enough and got back to defending. Our hardest week of the season coming up now, @ Mo State and @ Butler.

Taped the game and watched the 2nd half. If Jamal is hurt, wow. Some tough shots down the stretch...oh yeah, and Matt Shaw > yOU

Now maybe the NCAA will just let us skip the Missouri State game on Monday. I hate when SIU plays there. NEVER easy.

Edited by Brian