Official College Basketball Thread

That performance by SIU was epic. Their best player could hardly walk, the refs screwed them over all game on their floor (FT's were like 32 to 14) and yet they shoot 82 percent in the 2nd half and beat a really good Creighton team to take full control of their league. That's why they win that league every year.

Oh, and I'm sorry, but if you think that call of 5 seconds was right, you just weren't watching. Through TIVO, the clock went from 9.8 when Pruitt had it to 5.8 when the whistle blew (although about half a second more than that ran off after the whistle IIRC so that might have been deceptive). That's 4 seconds flat, and White didn't even have him closely guarded the whole time.

That was a horrible call. It's not why Illinois lost (4 minutes of offensive choking is, and Indiana got some raw calls against them too), but that call was still pathetic.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 01:26 AM)
That performance by SIU was epic. Their best player could hardly walk, the refs screwed them over all game on their floor (FT's were like 32 to 14) and yet they shoot 82 percent in the 2nd half and beat a really good Creighton team to take full control of their league. That's why they win that league every year.

Oh, and I'm sorry, but if you think that call of 5 seconds was right, you just weren't watching. Through TIVO, the clock went from 9.8 when Pruitt had it to 5.8 when the whistle blew (although about half a second more than that ran off after the whistle IIRC so that might have been deceptive). That's 4 seconds flat, and White didn't even have him closely guarded the whole time.

That was a horrible call. It's not why Illinois lost (4 minutes of offensive choking is, and Indiana got some raw calls against them too), but that call was still pathetic.

Correct. The ref just thought 'hey, he's had it a while, 5 seconds' without actually counting anything, or paying attention to White. Although RW's tivo will show it closer to 10 seconds.

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 10:39 PM)
Taped the game and watched the 2nd half. If Jamal is hurt, wow. Some tough shots down the stretch...oh yeah, and Matt Shaw > yOU

Now maybe the NCAA will just let us skip the Missouri State game on Monday. I hate when SIU plays there. NEVER easy.

He lacked his normal explosiveness, he was limping around most of the game but he played through it. Watch in the 2nd half how he shot more fade aways than I've ever seen him shoot before because he couldn't blow by the defender like he normally does. He also lost his balance a good amount of time because he just couldn't put a lot of weight on it, that was one hell of a performance by him though.

Agreed on the Mo State game(it's Tuesday though), it worries the hell out of me.

Edited by Rowand44

The Missouri Valley still looks pretty good in terms of at-large consideration for the NCAA Tournament. Five teams still have a shot at an at-large berth depending on how they finish the year.

SIU (21-5, 12-3 MVC) - A lock barring a total collapse, which won't happen

Creighton (17-8, 11-4 MVC) - Solid chance. Lack a signature win on the road. Will likely need to win 3 of their last four. Beating Drexel, while at home, will help.

Missouri State (19-7, 10-5 MVC) - Probably a better chance than Creighton with their win over Wisconsin and close loss as Oklahoma State. Pretty close to a lock barring a meltdown. Splitting their last four games and winning at least one in the Valley Tournament will likely be enough. Dates with SIU, Winthrop and @ Wichita St highlight their last four games.

Bradley (17-10, 8-7 MVC) - Good chance if they finish strong. Win over DePaul will help. Wins over Loyola and Wright St are also solid wins, as would be an upcoming win over 21-5 VCU Saturday. Game @ Evansville could be a key. Losing that game and/or @ VCU may give them problems if they don't have a strong run in the Valley Tournament.

Wichita St (16-9, 7-7 MVC) - Everyone has written them off, but I can't. They finish with Illinois St, @ Drake, Appalachian St (19-6), Missouri St and @ Creighton. Win 4 of those 5 and they will be sitting at 20-8 with wins over LSU and Syracuse on the road. While those teams haven't been as good as advertised early on, road wins early in the season will help the Shockers cause. They will have to finish strong to get consideration for an at-large bid, but they can do so and do so without really hurting any of the other teams' chances.

Northern Iowa (16-10, 7-8 MVC) - Would need a drastic turnaround to receive at-large consideration. They have lost 6 of their last 7 games which obviously isn't heading in the right direction. They face Creighton, Nevada and Bradley in their next three games all on the road. Winning all three would certainly breathe some life back into their hopes, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening.

Evansville (12-13, 5-9 MVC) - Only being mentioned here hoping like hell they fire Steve Merfield and get this program back where it belongs. There is too much history and too much local support available to this program for it to be in the situation it is currently in.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 10:33 AM)
The Missouri Valley still looks pretty good in terms of at-large consideration for the NCAA Tournament. Five teams still have a shot at an at-large berth depending on how they finish the year.

SIU (21-5, 12-3 MVC) - A lock barring a total collapse, which won't happen

Creighton (17-8, 11-4 MVC) - Solid chance. Lack a signature win on the road. Will likely need to win 3 of their last four. Beating Drexel, while at home, will help.

Missouri State (19-7, 10-5 MVC) - Probably a better chance than Creighton with their win over Wisconsin and close loss as Oklahoma State. Pretty close to a lock barring a meltdown. Splitting their last four games and winning at least one in the Valley Tournament will likely be enough. Dates with SIU, Winthrop and @ Wichita St highlight their last four games.

Bradley (17-10, 8-7 MVC) - Good chance if they finish strong. Win over DePaul will help. Wins over Loyola and Wright St are also solid wins, as would be an upcoming win over 21-5 VCU Saturday. Game @ Evansville could be a key. Losing that game and/or @ VCU may give them problems if they don't have a strong run in the Valley Tournament.

Wichita St (16-9, 7-7 MVC) - Everyone has written them off, but I can't. They finish with Illinois St, @ Drake, Appalachian St (19-6), Missouri St and @ Creighton. Win 4 of those 5 and they will be sitting at 20-8 with wins over LSU and Syracuse on the road. While those teams haven't been as good as advertised early on, road wins early in the season will help the Shockers cause. They will have to finish strong to get consideration for an at-large bid, but they can do so and do so without really hurting any of the other teams' chances.

Northern Iowa (16-10, 7-8 MVC) - Would need a drastic turnaround to receive at-large consideration. They have lost 6 of their last 7 games which obviously isn't heading in the right direction. They face Creighton, Nevada and Bradley in their next three games all on the road. Winning all three would certainly breathe some life back into their hopes, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening.

Evansville (12-13, 5-9 MVC) - Only being mentioned here hoping like hell they fire Steve Merfield and get this program back where it belongs. There is too much history and too much local support available to this program for it to be in the situation it is currently in.

I really think it's going to be 3. SIU, Creighton and Mo State are all looking good and will probably get in imo. Bradley needs to win out the regular season and win 2 in St. Louis imo. WSU is definitely an interesting case, because I'm not really sure how their wins against 'Cuse and LSU will be looked at. That being said, they're going to have to win out in the regular season to have a chance imo, I don't see 10 and 8 in the Valley getting them a bid. UNI is another interesting case as they have a hard as hell schedule but that's exactly what they need to get themselves back into consideration, I just don't see them being able to win enough of those games though, they're really just collapsing.

So basically, I see 3 at larges. Obviously, what happens in St. Louis can change everything because any thing can happen and usually does in t he Valley tournament. BUT, imo the top 3 are head and shoulders above the rest of the league, I honestly can't see anyone outside of SIU, Creighton or Mo State winning the tournament, the MVC is going to be a 3 bid league imo.

Edited by Rowand44

I think you are right about the likelihood of the league getting 3 bids. But I don't necessarily think teams like Wichita St and Bradley have to win out. I think the days of a Valley team having to have single digit losses are over, at least for the foreseeable future. 10-8 in the Valley could get a team in if they have some non-conference wins to support their case, they finish strong and beat one of the big three in the Valley Tournament.

I just don't see a ton of teams with real strong at-large resumes. I think the tournament committee is really going to have their hands full this year trying to differentiate between the final 6 at large bids.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 10:50 AM)
I think you are right about the likelihood of the league getting 3 bids. But I don't necessarily think teams like Wichita St and Bradley have to win out. I think the days of a Valley team having to have single digit losses are over, at least for the foreseeable future. 10-8 in the Valley could get a team in if they have some non-conference wins to support their case, they finish strong and beat one of the big three in the Valley Tournament.

You definitely could be right, I guess I'll just have to see it to believe it first. The whole Mo State situation from last year is still pretty clear in everyones minds, so who knows.

Edited by Rowand44

Duck, I see things flying across the room shortly.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am not familiar with Patrick Beverly and Stefhon Hannan. By your post, I am assuming they are recruits Weber was unable to get to Illinois. But where are they now?

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 11:16 AM)
Duck, I see things flying across the room shortly.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am not familiar with Patrick Beverly and Stefhon Hannan. By your post, I am assuming they are recruits Weber was unable to get to Illinois. But where are they now?

ahhh im glad you asked. These are all players from the Chicagoland area, oh im sure there are plenty more i have missed. The key to recruting for Illanoy is to keep the state, im proving a point.

Patrick Beverly is a stud freshman at Arkansas averagine 14 a game...much better than Frazier

Stefon Hannah is a junior guard at Missouri putting up at least 12 a game...much better than "ill settle for a 3" Mcbride.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 10:50 AM)

I just don't see a ton of teams with real strong at-large resumes. I think the tournament committee is really going to have their hands full this year trying to differentiate between the final 6 at large bids.

I just have a feeling that the Valley is going to get 4 teams. I think that Wichita State is going to get an at-large selection but they need at least 2 wins in the conf. tournament.

Bradley has a good chance to get in also, but they need to keep winning!

Wisconsin missed on Jerry Smith who went to Lousiville. Im sure that the entire Wisconsin team is very saddened by that fact. Wisconsin also has lost Wesley Mathews to Marquette, and Wisconsin just has not been able to compete.

Both Marquette and Louisville must be far better programs because they were able to take in-state talent away from Wisconsin...

Honestly it gets damn annoying. I understand the reason why the KU fan has to hold dear to recruiting, because he has nothing else to talk about. But for the rest of us who enjoy realistic conversation, can you just keep it down.

I wouldnt be squawking until the NCAA tourney when Kansas actually goes deeper than Illinois. Because last I checked there is no:

"Best recruiting team championship trophy"

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 12:32 PM)
Wisconsin missed on Jerry Smith who went to Lousiville. Im sure that the entire Wisconsin team is very saddened by that fact. Wisconsin also has lost Wesley Mathews to Marquette, and Wisconsin just has not been able to compete.

Both Marquette and Louisville must be far better programs because they were able to take in-state talent away from Wisconsin...

Honestly it gets damn annoying. I understand the reason why the KU fan has to hold dear to recruiting, because he has nothing else to talk about. But for the rest of us who enjoy realistic conversation, can you just keep it down.

I wouldnt be squawking until the NCAA tourney when Kansas actually goes deeper than Illinois. Because last I checked there is no:

"Best recruiting team championship trophy"

:lolhitting :lolhitting

:notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)

Evansville is a lock!

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9984145

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/stor...&id=2758650

:bang

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 05:10 PM)
BC gets a nice road win at FSU.

Horrible effort today by FSU. I am not going to blame the refs like everyone else though because I was actually watching the game on TV and saw that the refs were pretty fair.

At least we beat UNCA 15-1 in baseball, and I'm still undefeated at home for baseball and basketball.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 04:35 PM)

Yeah i really don't understand this, i think thats just because they are predicting an Evansville MVC tourney win.

Edited by Sonik22

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 04:54 PM)
Yeah i really don't understand this, i think thats just because they are predicting an Evansville MVC tourney win.

Read the 2nd article by Katz that he linked. They were given mid-major conf. tourney champs.

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 04:54 PM)

No, predictions have nothing to do with that mock bracket. Twenty reporters were invited by the NCAA to do a simulation of the process the NCAA Tournament Committee goes through to pick the bracket.

They all went to Indianapolis and NCAA officials guided them through the complete process, giving them access to all of the computers and information actually used in the selection process. The process included the NCAA simulating conference tournaments and giving the reporters the info as if it were happening for real. They included some curveballs so the reporters would see how they affect the process. Two of the curveballs thrown to them were Evansville winning the MVC and High Point upsetting Winthrop in the Big South.

This was simply an exercise and the brackets you see are the results. Scroll back about 5-10 pages in this thread and you will see two very good articles on the process, written by Andy Katz and Jay Bilas.