Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
Either Rock is being sarcastic.

Or its the fact that OSU has not beat anyone in the top 25 on the road.

So far their best win would be, Indiana at home. Not really a resume a top 5 team would generally have. Most of their ranking comes from the hype surrounding their freshman.

Im not saying OSU is not a great team, just that at this point (prior to them beating Wisconsin @ OSU) its hard to understand how they are ranked above UNC and Wisconsin who both beat them, albeit on the road but what else can you compare?

Also the higher ranked you are the harder the teams play against you. Works out well for Wisconsin because we play PSU and Minnesota, so hopefully they are all excited about taking down 2 ranked OSU, and not 3 ranked Wisconsin.

I don't see 2 Big 10 teams going into the tournament at Top 5 teams, but the winner og the Big 10 tourney will get that sought after #1, runner up having to settle for #2 (not neccessarily close to home) It would take Wiscy or OSU to lose 2 out of 3 to get down to a #3 seed stauts.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
Either Rock is being sarcastic.

Or its the fact that OSU has not beat anyone in the top 25 on the road.

So far their best win would be, Indiana at home. Not really a resume a top 5 team would generally have. Most of their ranking comes from the hype surrounding their freshman.

Im not saying OSU is not a great team, just that at this point (prior to them beating Wisconsin @ OSU) its hard to understand how they are ranked above UNC and Wisconsin who both beat them, albeit on the road but what else can you compare?

Also the higher ranked you are the harder the teams play against you. Works out well for Wisconsin because we play PSU and Minnesota, so hopefully they are all excited about taking down 2 ranked OSU, and not 3 ranked Wisconsin.

Nope not being sarcastic. We are being ranked on talent alone, and are ranked above two teams that beat us. Now if we beat Wisco at home, then maybe we can move up there. At this point, nope. Even though our losses are all against great teams, we shouldnt be #2.

I dont agree that the Big 10 tournament will have any real impact on the OSU/Wisconsin seeding.

First of all the Big 10 tournament ends moments before the selections are made, which gives the committee no flexibility to wait it out and see what happens.

Second of all if Wisconsin and OSU split, I would have to say that it would be very hard to deny Wisconsin the 1 seed.

OSU's only good victory is at home against Indiana.

Wisconsin has beaten Pitt at home, and Marquette on the road.

If Pitt goes in as a 2 seed, Marquette as a 3-4, it would be very hard to beleive that Wisconsin would only get a 2 seed.

Rock,

I agree with you 100%.

I think OSU rightfully should be below Florida, UNC, and Wisconsin, until the OSU-Wisconsin game. And at that point everything could be much different.

I think there is a serious chance the Big 10 gets 2 1 seeds.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 04:26 PM)
The point guard, hes a senior...guy is just pure drive. Love watching him, would take him over many PG's, just not Sherron.

He's not our pg, though he does play it a lot when Mullins is on the bench. But yes, he's quite the player.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 04:17 PM)
First of all the Big 10 tournament ends moments before the selections are made, which gives the committee no flexibility to wait it out and see what happens.

Second of all if Wisconsin and OSU split, I would have to say that it would be very hard to deny Wisconsin the 1 seed.

Good point here, and you are correct... however, if Wiscy/OSU face off in the finals, the winner of the Big Ten regular season will get the #1... no matter who has more quality wins. There is no way enough room to make 2 Big 10 teams #1 seed

of course this is all a what if scenrio... but what I was trying to say, lets say Wiscy wins the Big Ten regular season title by a full game, but then goes onto lose in the 2nd round of the Big Ten tournament to lets say Mich State and Ohio State looks dominant all weekend.... The Buckeyes would get #1. With the selction committee, its all about what have you done for me lately.... looking good at the right times

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 04:27 PM)
Good point here, and you are correct... however, if Wiscy/OSU face off in the finals, the winner of the Big Ten regular season will get the #1... no matter who has more quality wins. There is no way enough room to make 2 Big 10 teams #1 seed

of course this is all a what if scenrio... but what I was trying to say, lets say Wiscy wins the Big Ten regular season title by a full game, but then goes onto lose in the 2nd round of the Big Ten tournament to lets say Mich State and Ohio State looks dominant all weekend.... The Buckeyes would get #1. With the selction committee, its all about what have you done for me lately.... looking good at the right times

Sometimes the committee wont even look at Sunday games, happened with KU and OU a few years ago.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 04:32 PM)
No, you're talking about Tatum.

then who the hell is falker?

Its just really hard to guess what the selection comittee will give more weight to.

If Wisconsin wins at OSU, I do not think there is any chance of Wisconsin not getting the 1 seed from the Big 10, barring the Big 10 getting no 1 seed. With 2 wins against OSU, a win against Pitt and Marquette, how could you deny Wisconsin just because they lost in a meaningless tournament?

And I do think its possible for the Big 10 to get 2 1 seeds. Had Florida lost to Kentucky, OSU and Wisconsin would have most likely been 1 in 2 in rankings. If Wisconsin and OSU only lose to eachother from here on out, why would they all of a sudden not be one of the top 4 teams?

Plus if UCLA or UNC lose again it will make it even harder to keep the second big 10 team out.

1. Florida

2. UNC

3. Ohio State(beats Wiscy)

4. A&M

2 seeds

1. Wiscy

2. KU

3. UCLA

4. TBD

NIT

Illinois v. Duke first round...haha i had too, its jimbo for goodness sakes.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
He's our center, best one in the Valley. :D

Here he is:

KJ9D2816.jpg

And here's Tatum: Creighton%20017.jpg

Then I love Tatum, Falker is just a bruiser. SIU is the best team to come out of the MVC in the last 10 years, i think they are a lock for at least elite 8.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 04:41 PM)
Then I love Tatum, Falker is just a bruiser. SIU is the best team to come out of the MVC in the last 10 years, i think they are a lock for at least elite 8.

Who are you and what did you do with Jimbo? You're scaring me.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 04:42 PM)
Who are you and what did you do with Jimbo? You're scaring me.

The best Defense I have seen outside of KU and A&M, they are damn shut down. They have scorers and play well as a team. I am thoroughly impressed by them, and became a huge fan after the WSU game. They are heads up avove any other team in Illinois.

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 04:48 PM)
The best Defense I have seen outside of KU and A&M, they are damn shut down. They have scorers and play well as a team. I am thoroughly impressed by them, and became a huge fan after the WSU game. They are heads up avove any other team in Illinois.

KU and defense?

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 04:53 PM)
KU has a great defense....better than your swiss cheese 40 minutes of "hell"

Find me a better perimeter defenders than Chalmers and Robinson...ill give them that.

I never brought up Mizzou, but even in a blowout loss the press created numerous turnovers. I just wouldn't say Kansas has a great defense.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 04:56 PM)
I believe your wrong, when they lose, they beat themselves(I call it the Self is a mental **** syndrome)

I'll give you that, but that fact is independent from whether they are a great defensive team or not.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 03:51 PM)
Haha which one?

pic_falker.jpg

Falker

pic_tatum.jpg

Tatum

I honestly get the chills just seeing pictures of these guys! I love this team so much its unbelievable! Tatum showed so much heart on saturday playing with the deep thigh bruise, and Falker is just so awesome! Unbelievable job C-Lo has done with these two since he's been here, its hard to believe these guys were 2-star recruits! GO SOUTHERN GO!

Since the recruiting board is filled with football talk i'd like to share with my saluki brothers the fact that we only have 1 more scholly available for the 08 class! C-lo has been recruiting the st. louis area like no other and landed two recruits from the same school! Including 3-star SG Torres Roundtree and SF Anthony Booker! Heres an article on the two:

2/11/2007

Last week super athletic combo guard Torres Roundtree decided that the Missouri Valley Conference and Southern Illinois University was just right for him, so he ended his recruitment process. This week Roundtree’s McCluer North teammate 6’8 Anthony Booker also decided the same thing as through a valuable source. This gives head coach Chris Lowry two of the top 10 players in a loaded 2008 class in this area.

The 6’8 Booker stock has risen incredible over the last 10 months and chose the Salukis over Indiana State, Illinois State, and Missouri State along with others. Booker who is extremely athletic has come in to his own and is currently averaging 10 points and 8 rebounds a game. Booker enjoyed great success this past AAU season with the Gateway Basketball Club.

Bookers whose stats don’t show how much upside and game he has. As he is big kid that can step out and shoot the three, handle the ball, and adept post up skills. Booker who is currently out with an injured knee and expected back by districts, showed those skills at Rameybasketball.com first annual Battle 4 the Rankings Showcase, where he was one of the most dominant players at the entire event.

Head Coach Chris Lowry said that he is not through recruiting this area and looks to land another stud from the class of 2008 real soon.

Check back with Rameybasketball.com for all info on Anthony Booker.

With the 2007 class being great with guys like Brandon Wood, Carlton Fay, and Nick Evans, the 2008 class is looking just as good!

Also the bold part of the article excites me because we've been looking at 4-star center John Brandenburg, and i would be ecstatic if we landed this guy!

Wouldn't get my hopes up for Brandenburg. He'd be a fantastic get and I'd much rather have him than Thompson but I'm just not counting on it.

But yes, CLo continues to recruit extremely well and Roundtree basically recruited Booker for us which is pretty damn cool.

Pitt is getting killed by Louisville. Pitt is playing awful... turning the ball over about every other possession, not handling the slightest bit of pressure that Patino (sp?) is throwing at them.

The Pitt loss will put G'Town and Pitt in a tie atop the BE. I think Georgetown is the best team in the BE, and wouldn't be surprised at all if they get a higher seed than both Marquette and Pitt. Hibbard and Green are quite the tandem, and their guards do a good job of managing the game.