Official College Basketball Thread

Not according to history:

After serving as McGill's Athletic Director, James Naismith moved on to the YMCA Training School in Springfield, Massachusetts, USA in 1891, where the sport of basketball was born. In Springfield, Naismith was faced with the problem of finding a sport that was suitable for play inside during the Massachusetts winter for the students at the School for Christian Workers. Naismith wanted to create a game of skill for the students instead of one that relied solely on strength. He needed a game that could be played indoors in a relatively small space. The first game was played with a soccer ball and two peach baskets used as goals
Edited by Soxbadger

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH

So the guy who ivented the sport later went to Kansas after the sport was created.

So in fact Kansas had nothing to do with the creation at all. And just hired the man who did it.

It would be like Bill Gates leaving Microsoft to go to Wisconsin and then Wisconsin claiming we founded Windows.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 12:09 PM)
OH

So the guy who ivented the sport later went to Kansas after the sport was created.

So in fact Kansas had nothing to do with the creation at all. And just hired the man who did it.

It would be like Bill Gates leaving Microsoft to go to Wisconsin and then Wisconsin claiming we founded Windows.

see he is keeping it going...if i dont get my chocolate popsicle because of him, Im going to be pissed.

Im gonna kill this argument. You started and now Im gonna finish.

So far you have yet to even say how Collins is better than Conley, and why Wisconsin couldnt handle Collins when Conly only scored 7 pts and fouled out?

The first intercollegiate game was played on February 9, 1895, when the Minnesota State School of Agriculture (now the University of Minnesota St. Paul campus) defeated Hamline College by a score of 9 to 3. The first intercollegiate game involving the now familiar five-player format occurred in Iowa City, Iowa on January 18, 1896, when the University of Chicago defeated the University of Iowa 15 to 12. Before that time, there were usually seven to nine players on each team.

Correct me if Im wrong, but Naismith did not even found the Kansas program until 1908.

Meaning that Kansas did not even have a basketball team for 2 years while other teams did.

So how exactly could Kansas have founded something 2 years after it was already going on?

You were the kid who told the teacher she did not collect the homework assignment weren't you???

In terms of Collins, his stats are less, he just started playing there is no point to compare.

It is pretty known fact that KU is the grandfather of BBall.

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

No actualyl I was the kid who argued with the teacher that the homework assignment was flawed and taht everyone should get credit.

I am the biggest slacker in the world, hence why I went to Wisconsin.

As I told the college counselor a very important part in deciding where I would go to school was how highly rated it was in terms of parties and sports.

(EDIT)

And just because people in Kansas believe that they are the grandfather of basketball, does not make it so.

Edited by Soxbadger

I love me some Madtown..state street.

I also love Kansas which used to be a top 10 party school before they actually started caring.

haha i love your description, keep up the good work.

I take no credit for what the people in kansas. They are really strange looking and have no teeth for the most part.

glad to be home and cheering the white sox!!!

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

Boo this man.

If I wanted ot talk about valentines day Id call my girlfriend.

Isnt it pretty clear by the fact Ive wasted all this time arguing about Kansas basketball that talking about valentines day, or any sort of happiness is exactly opposite of my agenda.

After I leave work I probably wont evne get to think about sports for fear of yelling :(

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
Boo this man.

If I wanted ot talk about valentines day Id call my girlfriend.

Isnt it pretty clear by the fact Ive wasted all this time arguing about Kansas basketball that talking about valentines day, or any sort of happiness is exactly opposite of my agenda.

After I leave work I probably wont evne get to think about sports for fear of yelling :(

So much happening while away at my meeting.....I can almost taste and feel MARCH.

Badger man, no need to get all super defensive on your team here. I'm sure Bo Ryan appreciates your efforts, espeically for recruiting purposes, insisting that the Badgers are a perinnal elite team. Look, I really like your Badgers team this year, and I was even sticking up for them a few days ago saying that they would be #1 out of the Big Ten. I'd hate to think you got this bent out of shape just because I stated that Kansas could easily handle Wisconsin at a neutral court. Bill Self would probably want the game to be played in Madison instead anyways, better record there. Didnt intend for you to have dig deep into Naismith bios to get any type of upperhand. Which btw, he started Kansas basketball in 1899.

http://www.naismithmuseum.com/naismith_drj...mesnaismith.htm

Oh no, please don't tell me Jimbo was arguing that Collins is better than Augustin from Texas. Come on man, your smarter than THAT I would hope, but then again if he is arguing KU had something to do with the creation of basketball, he's out of his mind too. The first game of basketball was played at a YMCA in the Boston area with 2 peach baskets, EVERYBODY knows that.

Yah sorry another site erronouesly said the first KU basketball game was 1908. (Upon further review i f***ed it up and wrote 1908 instead of 1898 because if you look at my post I say the amount of time right. Sorry for the confusion)

But even using your starting date:

he first intercollegiate game was played on February 9, 1895, when the Minnesota State School of Agriculture (now the University of Minnesota St. Paul campus) defeated Hamline College by a score of 9 to 3. The first intercollegiate game involving the now familiar five-player format occurred in Iowa City, Iowa on January 18, 1896, when the University of Chicago defeated the University of Iowa 15 to 12. Before that time, there were usually seven to nine players on each team.

So actually those games were played 4 years before Kansas even had a team.

Hard to have invented something when you werent first second third fourth

And mind finding where I said:

insisting that the Badgers are a perinnal elite team

I insisted that this years Badger is better than this years Kansas.

Its the Kansas fans who want to talk about the past, because you dont have much ammo in the present

Edited by Soxbadger

Last 5 games for your boy Sharon:

Points Assists Turnovers

11 5 0

9 1 1

18 2 3

11 7 0

14 7 2

Last 5 For Conley:

4 5 1

18 6 4

10 3 0

23 6 1

14 4 4

Its very hard for me to believe that Sharon is so much better than Conley based on any statistical information and based on seeing them play. Even using your last 5 games, Conley is at worst on par. And that is not even bringing in the level of competition as only 1 of Sharons games was against good competition.