Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
I heard that the other day and laughed for about 10 minutes. The interesting thing is the Bears ESPN 1000 pregame show seems cursed right now, Coppock got his ass kicked, and Mongo hasn't been seen for 2 weeks (according to Mac, Jurko, and Harry yesterday).

Sad thing is he's 58. Some 25-year-old marquette alum shouldn't be senselessly beating up a 58-year-old man. That's disgusting...

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 12:06 PM)
Sad thing is he's 58. Some 25-year-old marquette alum shouldn't be senselessly beating up a 58-year-old man. That's disgusting...

I'd agree that it's classless all the way, but Coppock is about 6'5 and in decent shape, he should have been able to hold his own.

Just got done watching Winthrop/Missouri State on the TiVO. As good as Winthrop looked when I saw them in person, this game was even more impressive. To dominate the 2nd half like that on the road against a team that IMO will make the dance is very impressive, and damn they can shoot. Their only 4 losses were all against ranked teams too, and remember they almost beat Tennessee in the first round last year. They are going to give some #4 seed a living hell in the 1st round of the dance.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 04:10 PM)
If we can win @ Butler I really think we have a decent shot to get a protected seed. That'd be fantastic.

That'll be a hell of a game. They'd have no chance in Carbondale, but they've won 22 straight games at Hinkle, and most of them haven't even been close at all. I know a freshman on Butler, and I really wish I could go tomorrow (and i'd have great seats), but I am too tired and busy to do the drive to Indy. I've seen Butler in person though enough to tell you that:

1. You better guard the 3 like hell, or they will do bad things to the defense.

2. They have nobody taller than 6'7 or 6'8, so Falker and Shaw should play very well.

3. Tatum vs. Graves and Mullins vs. Green are going to be outstanding matchups to watch.

With that said, I think SIU wins and keeps it low scoring, due to Falker and Shaw. Butler's only chance is to hit the 3's, and mix some dribble drive and use their quickness to get the SIU bigs in foul trouble, which they can do, but if they don't....Falker and Shaw will go off.

Mizzou upsets Ok State on the road 75-64. Ok State hadn't lost all year at home. Stupid Missouri sports getting my hopes up (more for next year than this year). Tigers now 16-9 with a 5-7 record in conference. With 3 winnable games left they could win them and a game in the Big 12 tourney to get 20 wins on the year, but they probably won't. Ok State is still winless on the road and is under .500 in conference. Depending on how far their RPI falls they could be on the bubble considering their recent struggles.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 03:08 PM)
Justin is literally first row behind the SIll bench if i'm seeing this correctly, haha

That's what he said. I don't know how he pulled that off.

This may sound mean, but I mean it as a compliment: the atmosphere is like that of a sectional final or supersectional high school playoff game. Slightly smaller gym, crowd is really into it, student section knows it's the biggest home game of the year, it's good stuff.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 04:15 PM)
Yeah he anticipated that they'd be there and bought the ticket before the games were actually out.

I agree with you on the atmosphere thing, it's definitely cool.

Yea if your a basketball fan it's somewhere everyone should go at least once. Its what Indiana basketball is all about!

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)
This has to be one of the worst weeks in the history of illinois basketball, or at least one of the worst years in the history of illinois basketball.

What about when Corey Bradford was a freshman and they were towards the bottom of the conference?

QUOTE(danman31 @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 05:02 PM)
What about when Corey Bradford was a freshman and they were towards the bottom of the conference?

Not even close to one of the worst years of Illinois basketball in terms of play. The injuries and off court stuff has moved well beyond being ridiculous.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 03:08 PM)
Justin is literally first row behind the SIll bench if i'm seeing this correctly, haha

QUOTE(danman31 @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 03:11 PM)
That's what he said. I don't know how he pulled that off.

This may sound mean, but I mean it as a compliment: the atmosphere is like that of a sectional final or supersectional high school playoff game. Slightly smaller gym, crowd is really into it, student section knows it's the biggest home game of the year, it's good stuff.

I wasn't lying to you guys. :P

Very, very good game between two very good basketball teams. I'm so damn happy that we found a way to win that one. :headbang :headbang

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 07:32 PM)
now i havent seen much of SIU or Butler, but are both teams small or was it just the angle?

Ya, both teams are small. Our bigs are strong and athletic though and they can keep up with bigger bigs because of that, but height wise we're definitely limited.