Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 11:29 AM)
We're better than you at hockey... and football!!!!1

lol. As someone who watches Tollackson in person on just about a weekly basis, and has for the majority of the year, let me just say that he's not "a pretty darn good big man." He has his moments on offense (ripped Iowa apart), but the majority of the time he's a bumbly handed guy who can't rebound worth a lick. Then again, no one on this team can rebound, so in comparison, he looks okay.

I'd also like to say that Tollackson didn't start against OSU for the simple reason that he can't really do anything to other big men.

You guys definitely are, so you got me there, just this year in basketball you guys stink, that's where that comment came from.

As for Tollackson, he's a big man who can score. That's why I threw him out there.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 11:21 AM)
so does tOSU deserve the #1 ranking in the polls this week over Wisky?? everyone seems to be handing it to them when I think Wisky is a better team...guess we'll see later this week when they play

Wisconsin gets the nod in the AP poll in a very close margin. The voting really is a mute point since whoever wins sunday will get be 1

1. Wisconsin (35) 26-2 1,747 3

2. Ohio St. (31) 24-3 1,728 2

3. Florida (4) 24-3 1,647 1

4. UCLA (2) 23-3 1,611 5

5. North Carolina 23-4 1,474 4

6. Kansas 23-4 1,403 9

7. Memphis 23-3 1,378 8

8. Texas A&M 22-4 1,283 6

9. Washington St. 22-4 1,172 10

10. Pittsburgh 23-4 1,161 7

11. Nevada 24-2 1,146 11

12. Georgetown 20-5 1,009 14

13. S. Illinois 23-5 962 16

14. Air Force 23-4 831 17

15. Butler 24-4 695 13

16. Marquette 21-7 510 12

17. Vanderbilt 18-8 413 -

18. Duke 20-7 410 -

19. Texas 19-7 332 -

20. Louisville 19-8 286 -

21. BYU 20-6 264 -

22. West Virginia 20-6 240 23

23. Oregon 20-7 218 15

24. Virginia 18-7 185 -

25. Alabama 19-7 177 25

Others receiving votes: Southern Cal 170, Virginia Tech 126,

Oklahoma St. 123, Kentucky 110, Stanford 88, Winthrop 75, Boston

College 74, Arizona 59, Maryland 48, Notre Dame 39, UNLV 35, Kansas

St. 34, Xavier 28, Indiana 21, Akron 19, Creighton 16, Old Dominion

15, Davidson 8, Va. Commonwealth 7, Santa Clara 6, Drexel 4,

Massachusetts 4, New Mexico St. 3, Texas Tech 3, Tennessee 2,

Vermont 1.

Others receiving votes: Southern Cal 170, Virginia Tech 126,

Oklahoma St. 123, Kentucky 110, Stanford 88, Winthrop 75, Boston

College 74, Arizona 59, Maryland 48, Notre Dame 39, UNLV 35, Kansas

St. 34, Xavier 28, Indiana 21, Akron 19, Creighton 16, Old Dominion

15, Davidson 8, Va. Commonwealth 7, Santa Clara 6, Drexel 4,

Massachusetts 4, New Mexico St. 3, Texas Tech 3, Tennessee 2,

Vermont 1.

Yikes, Missouri St completely dropped out. Not looking good for the valley getting 3+ bids. Bradley is making a nice late season push, but it looks like Creighton has to win out and reach the semi's to get a second bid, and Bradley/Wichita St/Missouri St are going to have to win Arch Madness for a 3rd bid.

UNI and WSU have been incredibly dissapointing this season, especially after both of the starts these two teams had. Missouri St has been dissapointing lately as well

Their not going to leave Bradley and their RPI that lies in the 20's out. Yeah they did it last year with Missouri State, but I beleive they were also by far the highest ranked team to ever be left out. Plus they already had four teams from the MVC and were not about to take a fifth. If Bradley wins just one in Arch Madness, I don't see them being left out(That is assuming their profile remains close to what it is now).

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 12:35 PM)
Wisconsin gets the nod in the AP poll in a very close margin. The voting really is a mute point since whoever wins sunday will get be 1

I dont think that OSU deserves the #1 ranking until they beat someone thats not in the big ten, or beat Wisco.

With that said, if anyone watched OSU play this weekend, if Greg Oden continues to hit those right and left handed jump hooks, there really isnt a team they cant beat.

Also interesting note on Oden they mentioned in the game. Since the first few games shooting FT's left handed, they said he has shot at about a 75 percent rate with his off hand. If that is true, that is ridiculous and should make players like Ben Wallce et al. feel incredibly piss poor.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 01:27 PM)
Guess we can end all talk of the mighty MVC and focus on SIU, their damn good

What do you think about our Hawks tonight... surpring at only 6 point favorite. Tough to say, espeically seeing on how they are clicking on all cylinders right now, but I think they are gonna be tested in the Little Apple tonight. Holding the Huskers to under 40 for an entire game is tremendous defensive accomplishment, and we are good enough to blowout KState again....but I kinda feel like we are due for a close game. I actually wouldnt mind it.... they need to be tested on the road.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 11:32 AM)
You guys definitely are, so you got me there, just this year in basketball you guys stink, that's where that comment came from.

Oh trust me, I know. I just enjoy saying "we're better than you at hockey" when someone says the Gophers suck at something, which is true in most sports.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 11:32 AM)
As for Tollackson, he's a big man who can score. That's why I threw him out there.

"Big man." He's 6'9" I think, does that even count as an acceptable height for a center nowadays? I do get your point, but I'd be hesitant to use his name in the same sentence as DJ White :P

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 03:52 PM)
With that said, if anyone watched OSU play this weekend, if Greg Oden continues to hit those right and left handed jump hooks, there really isnt a team they cant beat.

After seeing Oden in person on Sunday, I'd just like to say that yes, he's damn good. We played good defense on him for the first half of the game or so, and he had two fouls in the first half, yet he still got 19 points in only 21 minutes.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 03:27 PM)
Their not going to leave Bradley and their RPI that lies in the 20's out. Yeah they did it last year with Missouri State, but I beleive they were also by far the highest ranked team to ever be left out. Plus they already had four teams from the MVC and were not about to take a fifth. If Bradley wins just one in Arch Madness, I don't see them being left out(That is assuming their profile remains close to what it is now).

Teams get invited to the tournament, not conferences.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 03:52 PM)
I dont think that OSU deserves the #1 ranking until they beat someone thats not in the big ten, or beat Wisco.

Also interesting note on Oden they mentioned in the game. Since the first few games shooting FT's left handed, they said he has shot at about a 75 percent rate with his off hand. If that is true, that is ridiculous and should make players like Ben Wallce et al. feel incredibly piss poor.

I said early in the year that OSU would likely not begin to peak until late February. It looks as if that is happening. We'll see how they far in Round 2 against Wisky, but I like the direction they are heading.

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 06:53 PM)
After seeing Oden in person on Sunday, I'd just like to say that yes, he's damn good. We played good defense on him for the first half of the game or so, and he had two fouls in the first half, yet he still got 19 points in only 21 minutes.

If he hits that hook shot, there arent even many guys in the NBA that could defend it let alone college ball. We'll see though, the team still hasnt gelled and Thad is still having problems with rotations.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 07:29 PM)
In terms of last year's Missouri State team, I would strongly disagree. Not that the SC would admit that.

It is stated repeatedly that conference affiliation has nothing to do with whether a team makes it, at least in terms of how many other teams from that conference have already made it. The committee has stated that for years. Now, they open up the process to the USBWA and the writers after better understanding the process echo the same. Andy Katz, Jay Bilas and others have no reason to lie about the process.

So at what point are people going to start believing them? I'd say this would be a good place to start.

The tournament committee selects teams, not conferences. They select teams based on this year and not on past year's success or failures in the tournament. How about we all just move past all of the prior misconceptions and take the process for what it really is, no longer championing the conspiracy theories that the committee lies to us?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 10:29 PM)
I'm curious as to why Robinson and Chalmers still start.....Collins is a lot better than both of them.

Chemisty, Russ Rob and Chalmers establish the game and then let the beast come in.

As noted he would be the best pg in the big 10