Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 20, 2007 -> 10:23 PM)
They would beat you guys no questions asked.

And have you looked at the RPI lately? Kansas is not getting a one seed.

Actually, I can see a very realistic scenario for Kansas getting a #1 seed. I guess you never read the articles I suggested. RPI is merely one factor considered and is WAY overhyped compared to how it is ACTUALLY used.

Creighton loses at Illinois State. Bradley loses at home to Northern Iowa.

MVC teams must not want that at-large bid. They must want to play home games in the NIT>

On the flip side, Missouri State did bounce back and beat Wichita St on the road.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 04:57 AM)
Actually, I can see a very realistic scenario for Kansas getting a #1 seed. I guess you never read the articles I suggested. RPI is merely one factor considered and is WAY overhyped compared to how it is ACTUALLY used.

Not really if you know the correct way of reading it. RPI can tell you everything in a breakdown of a team's resume. And what is tells me about Kansas is that they are 3-2 against the top tier teams this year. Sorry, not good enough.

And as of right now, it doesn't look too good for them. But of course, there is still time. Assuming they win the Big 12 tourney, anything can happen.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 20, 2007 -> 11:02 PM)
Not really if you know the correct way of reading it. RPI can tell you everything in a breakdown of a team's resume. And what is tells me about Kansas is that they are 3-2 against the top tier teams this year. Sorry, not good enough.

And as of right now, it doesn't look too good for them. But of course, there is still time. Assuming they win the Big 12 tourney, anything can happen.

They are right there in the mix. Right now, they are on the outside looking in, but if teams above them lose once or twice, then its very realistic.

If they finish strong and win their tournament, then they will be right there, regardless of how you interpret their RPI today. Again, RPI is way overrated. To think they don't have a realistic shot at a 1 seed is not seeing the big picture.

Kansas has played there best basketball down the stretch where teams like North Carolina, Wisconsin, and Florida have not. If the season ends today, I think they get a number one seed.

Of course all this is irrelevant because we have a lot of basketball still to be played.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 20, 2007 -> 11:51 PM)
Kansas has played there best basketball down the stretch where teams like North Carolina, Wisconsin, and Florida have not. If the season ends today, I think they get a number one seed.

I doubt it. Wisconsin, UNC, UCLA, Pitt, Florida and OSU all have better rpi's, more top 50 wins and have at least the same 'last 10' record.

Kansas is a 2 right now, and I really don't see them getting out of that spot.

KU will get a crack at Texas to close out the big 12 season. Also if they advance further than A&M they get it. KU had a good out of conference schedule, and got good wins over Florida, BC, South Carolina, and USC.

THe RPI is not taht important outside of ESPN.

His name is Sherron and he is taking us on wonderful ride.

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 12:09 AM)
KU will get a crack at Texas to close out the big 12 season. Also if they advance further than A&M they get it. KU had a good out of conference schedule, and got good wins over Florida, BC, South Carolina, and USC.

THe RPI is not taht important outside of ESPN.

It is a tool that is used. No, it's not the most important thing in the world, HOWEVER it is definitely important, especially when it comes to 1 seeds. Since 1999, there has been one whole team outside the rpi top 10 that got a one seed and a whole 2 outside the rpi top 7 that got a one seed. There have also been 0 outside the rpi top 15 to get a 1 seed, so Kansas is going to have to get that rpi up a bit.

I'm not taking a shot at Kansas here at all but I just can't see them getting a one seed this year.

The Missouri Valley keeps cannibalizing itself, much to the delight of the Selection Committee. Last night Bradley lost to UNI in Peoria, Wichita State lost to Missouri State in Wichita, and Creighton lost to Illinois State in Bloomington-Normal. Creighton is picking one heck of a time to fall apart.

Sorry KU, but I would venture to say that at this point Wisconsin has the #2 in the Midwest unless they some how can get back to a #1 seed.

If KU gets a 2, I would guess you are looking at the South or West.

Cause as of now I would say:

UNC (East), Florida (South), OSU (Midwest), UCLA (West)

After that it my guess is:

Wisconsin (Midwest)

KU (West)

Although is there some rule that OSU and Wisconsin couldnt be the 1 and 2 seeds in the same bracket?

Well I dont think the 1 seed in the Midwest is available for KU. It will go to the winner of sundays OSU/Wisconsin game, barring some sort of magnificent failure on either of their parts.

The 1 seed in the West is reasonable provided that KU does not lose another game and that UCLA does lose atleast 1.

The South seed is basically locked up as well, unless Florida does something drastically to mess up their ranking.

The only other seed that is up for grabs is the East. And if UNC losses a bunch that seed could go to a team like OSU or Wisconsin, and either give the Big 10, 2 1 seeds, or give one of them to KU.

And of course with Florida losing to Vandy and Wisconsin losing to MSU it just shows that even the top 5 teams can lose at some one elses house.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 12:36 PM)
Kansas needs to beat A&M in the tourney championship to have a sniff at that #1.

an A&M loss to OK State could help kansas in the long run.

According to ESPN which sucks...KU 2 in midwest, wiscy 1 in midewest

gtwon the 3, air force the 4

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

Well my guess on the update with Wisconsin losing is that Wisconsin would be #2 midwest, OSU #1 (if that is allowed).

OSU gets a #2 in the east for the reason that Lexington is actually closer to Columbus than Chicago.

But Wisconsin is the closest school to Chicago that will be in the tournament and has a shot at a 2 seed. (Doubtful Marquette gets up there and Milwaukee is slightly closer to Chicago.)

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
Well my guess on the update with Wisconsin losing is that Wisconsin would be #2 midwest, OSU #1 (if that is allowed).

OSU gets a #2 in the east for the reason that Lexington is actually closer to Columbus than Chicago.

But Wisconsin is the closest school to Chicago that will be in the tournament and has a shot at a 2 seed. (Doubtful Marquette gets up there and Milwaukee is slightly closer to Chicago.)

Side bet on the game sunday?

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)

If and WHEN the Badgers lose again, youre likely to be #3. Dont count out SIU on grabbing that #2 seed in the midwest. It CAN happen. A loss to the Buckeyes this weekend and you can forget about being the top 5.

Also, the selection committee wouldnt bump OSU down to a #2 simply becuase they want Wisconsin to play at the United Center and the rules wont allow for 2 teams from the same conference to be #1 and #2 in the same bracket.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 03:38 PM)
If and WHEN the Badgers lose again, youre likely to be #3. Dont count out SIU on grabbing that #2 seed in the midwest. It CAN happen. A loss to the Buckeyes this weekend and you can forget about being the top 5.

Also, the selection committee wouldnt bump OSU down to a #2 simply becuase they want Wisconsin to play at the United Center and the rules wont allow for 2 teams from the same conference to be #1 and #2 in the same bracket.

They will still be a number 2, but not in the midwest. The tourney commitee does look at last 10 games and how "hot a team is". KU has sexier wins, does not make a difference considering both teams wil likely paly in chicago, due to pod system.

1) If the Badgers lose to OSU, they wont drop from a 2 seed. That just does not make sense. With a loss to OSU, that will put them at 4 losses for the season. 3 of them on the road, 1 at a neutral site. 3 of the losses will be to tournament teams, 1 of them to the potentially number 1 team in the nation. (Should OSU beat Wisconsin they will most likely be the #1, #1)

2) Wisconsin has better wins than KU. KU has 1 signature win over Florida, 1 okay win against non-conference (USC at home), and the rest of its good wins are in conference. Wisconsin on the other hand has beat Pitt, Marquette (on the road) from the Big East, FSU from ACC, Georgia, Auburn from SEC, and OSU from the Big 10.

3) Wisconsin does not have a bad loss. The arguably worst loss by Wisconsin is to Missouri State on a neutral site. Kansas has a loss to Oral Roberts, Depaul, and has lost on its home floor to A&M. Note Wisconsin has not lost on its home floor all year and has played superior ranked opponents than A&M.

4) RPI SOS, Wisconsin 6 RPI, 55 SOS. KU 13 RPI, 57 SOS.

Not to mention Kansas lost to A&M at home. If anyone from the Big 12 will get a 2 seed its A&M.