Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I know why everybody hates Duke.

Doris Burke comes on with a sideline report about how Coach K is really ragging on the officials and Josh McRoberts is giving his crybaby face and is all wah-wah about how the refs won't give the poor Dukies a call.

Next couple of whistles...

-Offensive goaltending on Clemson -- ball clearly OUT of the cylindar.

-Offensive foul on Clemson -- questionable call at best.

-Traveling on Clemson -- apparently a one-two stop in the lane is a foul, not Scheyer coming in and attempting to take a charge (while bumping the offensive player).

I should be rooting for them -- afterall, any Duke win is good for Marquette -- but I can't bring myself to do it.

Iowa dug itself into too deep of a hole early in the season. Had we not blown two key games, we probably have a chance at getting in without having to run through the BTT, but right we still have two more games left and I have fear that we'll blow em.

If we win them, than maybe I'll have a bit more hope (as we'd likely be the 3rd in the big ten standings).

Like I say, we are a tourney team now but you got to count the entire season and for about the first 10-15 games we were not a tourney team.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 12:43 AM)
Loyola and Wright State are both pretty good. One of them is going to win the Horizon Tourney, thus Butler will take somebody's at large bid. Boo.

And Wright State gets to host the games for as long as they go, so they definitely got a solid chance to win it as does Loyola and obviously Butler. If I had to bet, I'd go with the Raiders right now.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 05:14 PM)
memphis is good, that is all.

i'm reserving judgment until the tournament. other than their win over kentucky in hawaii they really haven't beaten a good team.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 05:34 PM)
based on talent, I think they are very good.

i thought the same last year and picked them to go to the final four. thus, my skepticism this year is mostly residual bitterness over them blowing apart my bracket.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 01:49 PM)
i thought the same last year and picked them to go to the final four. thus, my skepticism this year is mostly residual bitterness over them blowing apart my bracket.

They did make the elite 8, I'm sure there were many factors that 'blew apart your bracket' rather than an elite 8 team that didn't make the final four.

Memphis is good, very good. They have athletes all over the floor, they can go down low and they can shoot, not to mention that they're terrific defensively.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)
They did make the elite 8, I'm sure there were many factors that 'blew apart your bracket' rather than an elite 8 team that didn't make the final four.

Memphis is good, very good. They have athletes all over the floor, they can go down low and they can shoot, not to mention that they're terrific defensively.

Regardless, it's still hard to judge a team that plays against such weak competition. Where would C-USA rank among conference in America? Does it even crack the top ten?

I'm in no way speaking 'ill' of Memphis, I'm just saying it's hard to tell how great they really are.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)

but i choose to blame them.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 02:04 PM)
Regardless, it's still hard to judge a team that plays against such weak competition. Where would C-USA rank among conference in America? Does it even crack the top ten?

I'm in no way speaking 'ill' of Memphis, I'm just saying it's hard to tell how great they really are.

There's no denying that their schedule blows. Just have to watch them play and make your own judgements, certainly can't go off who've they played. I've seen Memphis a bunch and I personally think they're a very, very good team.

Memphis looked very blah in Maui. Their best wins are, according to the RPI, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Gonzaga, and Oklahoma. Of those teams Kentucky is in, Ole Miss is bubble, Gonzaga needs to win their conf. tourney (feasible) to get in, and OU is out. Their losses, Ga. Tech, @ Tennessee, and @ Zona, are all to top 50 teams, but are far from great teams. They are 1-3 vs. RPI top 50, 4-3 against top 100, and 20-0 vs. the rest. I'll be stunned if they make it to the elite 8 and slightly surprised if they make the sweet 16.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 11:17 AM)
Yeesh, you guys are rough on a team that made it to the elite 8. It's not like they lost in the 2nd round.

Hey Rowand or any of you other MVC fans, what do you think about Indiana States chances next year with 4 of their 5 starters returning. They are also getting Clayton Vette, a 6'9" center out of Iowa who is supposedly pretty damn good. I'm not sure who else their picking up as I have not found a site that covers ISU or even MVC recruiting. Thanks.