Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to me. They are playing well and destroying teams. The things they are doing against the Colorado's and Iowa State's would translate against better teams.

No one is handing them the NCAA Championship, but they aren't struggling to beat teams they should beat. They are heading in the direction they need to be heading into March. It doesn't take a degree in rocket science to tell who is playing well and who is not if you simply watch games.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 09:25 PM)
Not to me. They are playing well and destroying teams. The things they are doing against the Colorado's and Iowa State's would translate against better teams.

I get your point for the most part. But everyone kills Colorado. They are one of the worst teams in the country, not just one of the worst major conference teams. New Mexico beat them by 41. They lost to NC Wilmington who is 3-14 in the colonial by 12 pts. Colorado would struggle against a good HS team.

Keeling and Shaw are foul machines. I don't think it is possible for either to enter a game and not commit a foul within a minute.

MSU within two. Shaw needs to sit his ass on the bench. He is out of control with too many fouls and unforced turnovers.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 09:32 PM)
I get your point for the most part. But everyone kills Colorado. They are one of the worst teams in the country, not just one of the worst major conference teams. New Mexico beat them by 41. They lost to NC Wilmington who is 3-14 in the colonial by 12 pts. Colorado would struggle against a good HS team.

Sure, but this conversation isn't about one win. Wasn't from the beginning.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)
Keeling and Shaw are foul machines. I don't think it is possible for either to enter a game and not commit a foul within a minute.

MSU within two. Shaw needs to sit his ass on the bench. He is out of control with too many fouls and unforced turnovers.

Sure, but this conversation isn't about one win. Wasn't from the beginning.

I know

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 03:25 AM)
The things they are doing against the Colorado's and Iowa State's would translate against better teams.

I would not agree at all. Especially when we are talking about a Bill Self Kansas team. They've been Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde over these last few years and there hasn't been much to suggest that this year is any different.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 03:25 AM)
No one is handing them the NCAA Championship, but they aren't struggling to beat teams they should beat. They are heading in the direction they need to be heading into March. It doesn't take a degree in rocket science to tell who is playing well and who is not if you simply watch games.

But that's the whole point. Any decent team would be under the category of "playing well" if they played Kansas' schedule. Doesn't change the fact that they haven't won a big game since December.

One of the most telling thing about an elite team is their record vs. the upper echelon of teams(of RPI top 50 for short). The NCAA championships prove this. Kansas is just 3-2 in that category this year. And the fact that they've only had 5 of those games basically means their untested at this point.

Kansas became a whole new team when Sherron Collins was used more than 5 minutes a game(Texas A&M Game) The early season was just blah, now is a full head of steam monster.

Ill say it now, and ill kick myself for saying it later...this is the best kansas team since the 03 team.

insert foot now.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 09:45 PM)
I would not agree at all. Especially when we are talking about a Bill Self Kansas team. They've been Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde over these last few years and there hasn't been much to suggest that this year is any different.

But that's the whole point. Any decent team would be under the category of "playing well" if they played Kansas' schedule. Doesn't change the fact that they haven't won a big game since December.

One of the most telling thing about an elite team is their record vs. the upper echelon of teams(of RPI top 50 for short). The NCAA championships prove this. Kansas is just 3-2 in that category this year. And the fact that they've only had 5 of those games basically means their untested at this point.

So Ohio State beating Penn St by two and eight points in their last three games means what? Penn St. is worse than all of the teams Kansas has blown out in the past few weeks.

The point is, actually, you don't have a clue what you are arguing. You keep posting stats about what Kansas has done this year, which means absolutely NOTHING in terms of how they are playing right now. I could care less what they did or did not do in December. If you watch Kansas right now, you can see they are playing very well. If you can't see that, then you are just an idiot. If you want to keep arguing with points that are not related, go ahead and talk to yourself.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
Kansas became a whole new team when Sherron Collins was used more than 5 minutes a game(Texas A&M Game) The early season was just blah, now is a full head of steam monster.

Ill say it now, and ill kick myself for saying it later...this is the best kansas team since the 03 team.

insert foot now.

Can't be Jimbo, they are only 3-2 against the RPI Top 50. They have to be an unproven average team because of that stat and that stat only. Don't you know anything about basketball, geez?

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 09:53 PM)
So Ohio State beating Penn St by two and eight points in their last three games means what? Penn St. is worse than all of the teams Kansas has blown out in the past few weeks.

The point is, actually, you don't have a clue what you are arguing. You keep posting stats about what Kansas has done this year, which means absolutely NOTHING in terms of how they are playing right now. I could care less what they did or did not do in December. If you watch Kansas right now, you can see they are playing very well. If you can't see that, then you are just an idiot. If you want to keep arguing with points that are not related, go ahead and talk to yourself.

good point...you can use all the stats you want from the beginning of the year. If you watch the Jayhawks in the last 3 weeks you will see the BEST team in the nation....Pretty sure you are not watching, just looking at stats.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 10:55 PM)
good point...you can use all the stats you want from the beginning of the year. If you watch the Jayhawks in the last 3 weeks you will see the BEST team in the nation....Pretty sure you are not watching, just looking at stats.

Exactly, these arguments against them are just stupid. Are you guys even watching them play? They are going 10 guys deep and just DESTROYING teams. They are playing some of the best basketball I have ever seen.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)
SIU only beat a bad Evansville team by 7 at home tonight, so they suck too.

haha, KU absolutely kills Kstate and Mizzou on the road, and i dont even want to bring up average score at home in the last few weeks. It must be a victory average of like 30+

Its all about SUPER SHERRON

though oklahoma will be a good test, and then the Durant show comes in.

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 03:53 AM)

This basically has nothing to do with anything. They've beaten legit teams to prove themselves. This just proves that results vs. weaker teams means nothing as long as you pick up the W.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 03:53 AM)

Actually it looks like it's you who doesn't know what he is arguing. I never denied Kansas was playing well. It just so happens that they are playing well against St. Mary's School for the Blind. Kansas lost its two biggest games in Big 12 play. That is a fact. I don't know how to put in any simpler to you. Beating up on Colorado, Iowa State, etc. is by no means a measuring point for how good a team is.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 03:56 AM)
SIU only beat a bad Evansville team by 7 at home tonight, so they suck too.

Um, you are the one arguing that running up the score on terrible teams is relevant, not me.

I think the biggest thing about Kansas's lack of playing tough teams is that they are not battling out close games.

They are one of the top handful of teams, once you get to that point its basically what style of play you think will be most successful in the tournament. Some people like young talent, others like tested veterans.

On another note as of today I think that the following Big 10 teams would be in the tournament:

Wisconsin, OSU, MSU, Indiana, Illinois.

Depending on how the rest goes Big 10 could get 1 or 2 more of the following:

Purdue, Iowa, Michigan.

A far cry from the earlier 3 selections it was being given.

2007 State Farm Insurance Missouri Valley Conference Tournament

Thursday, March 1 -- Session I [No Television]

Game 1 -- #8 Evansville (14-16, 6-12) vs. #9 Drake (16-14, 6-12), 6 p.m. [sirius Satellite Radio Channel 122]

Game 2 -- #7 Illinois State (15-15, 6-12) vs. #10 Indiana State (12-17, 5-13), 8:30 p.m. [sirius Satellite Channel 122]

Friday, March 2 -- Session II

Game 3 -- #1 Southern Illinois (25-5, 15-3) vs. Winner Game 1, noon [FSN Midwest, Comcast SportsNet, Sirius 122]

Game 4 -- #4 Bradley (20-11, 10-8) vs. #5 UNI (18-12, 9-9), 2:30 p.m. [FSN Midwest, Comcast SportsNet, Sirius 122]

Friday, March 2 -- Session III

Game 5 -- #2 Creighton (19-10, 13-5) vs. Winner of Game 2, 6 p.m. [FSN Midwest, Comcast SportsNet, Sirius 122]

Game 6 -- #3 Missouri St. (21-9, 12-6) vs. #6 Wichita St. (17-13, 8-10), 8:30 p.m. [FSN Midwest, Comcast, Sirius 122]

Saturday, March 3 -- Session IV

Game 7 -- Winner Game 3 vs. Winner Game 4, 1:30 p.m. [FSN Midwest, Comcast SportsNet, Sirius 125]

Game 8 -- Winner Game 5 vs. Winner Game 6, 4 p.m. [FSN Midwest, Comcast SportsNet, Sirius 125]

Sunday, March 4 -- Session V

Championship -- Winner Game 7 vs. Winner Game 8, 1 p.m. [CBS Sports, Sirius Satellite 181]

Here's the actual bracket in PDF form:

http://www.mvc-sports.com/pdf2/64543.pdf?A...amp;SPSID=36371

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 12:18 AM)
2007 State Farm Insurance Missouri Valley Conference Tournament

Thursday, March 1 -- Session I [No Television]

Game 1 -- #8 Evansville (14-16, 6-12) vs. #9 Drake (16-14, 6-12), 6 p.m. [sirius Satellite Radio Channel 122]

Game 2 -- #7 Illinois State (15-15, 6-12) vs. #10 Indiana State (12-17, 5-13), 8:30 p.m. [sirius Satellite Channel 122]

Friday, March 2 -- Session II

Game 3 -- #1 Southern Illinois (25-5, 15-3) vs. Winner Game 1, noon [FSN Midwest, Comcast SportsNet, Sirius 122]

Game 4 -- #4 Bradley (20-11, 10-8) vs. #5 UNI (18-12, 9-9), 2:30 p.m. [FSN Midwest, Comcast SportsNet, Sirius 122]

Friday, March 2 -- Session III

Game 5 -- #2 Creighton (19-10, 13-5) vs. Winner of Game 2, 6 p.m. [FSN Midwest, Comcast SportsNet, Sirius 122]

Game 6 -- #3 Missouri St. (21-9, 12-6) vs. #6 Wichita St. (17-13, 8-10), 8:30 p.m. [FSN Midwest, Comcast, Sirius 122]

Saturday, March 3 -- Session IV

Game 7 -- Winner Game 3 vs. Winner Game 4, 1:30 p.m. [FSN Midwest, Comcast SportsNet, Sirius 125]

Game 8 -- Winner Game 5 vs. Winner Game 6, 4 p.m. [FSN Midwest, Comcast SportsNet, Sirius 125]

Sunday, March 4 -- Session V

Championship -- Winner Game 7 vs. Winner Game 8, 1 p.m. [CBS Sports, Sirius Satellite 181]

Here's the actual bracket in PDF form:

http://www.mvc-sports.com/pdf2/64543.pdf?A...amp;SPSID=36371

Hopefully SIU win to ensure a #3 seed.

Edited by WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 12:20 AM)
oh my god i love all the tourneys starting, great action for like a week and a half straight

and.....KU gets a bye in the big 12 tourney, so no 1st round knockouts.

hahahaahahahhaha

I can't believe our regular season is over, just absolutely flew by. I can't wait to get down to St. Louis on Thursday night for the tournament, it's going to be a blast. :headbang :headbang

The fact that THIS mediocre Illinois team (the worst in a decade or so) is going to make the dance and finish 3rd in the Big 2 plus 9 mediocre if they win at Iowa tells me how poor this league is, regardless of how many bids are handed to it.

I'd pick Kansas to win it all if Bail didn't coach them. As it is, I'll say that for the 4th time in his career, his team loses an elite 8 game in which they are better (Yes, Tulsa was better than that mediocre #8 seed UNC in 2000) and have most people rooting for them. My final 4 based on what I've seen is Kansas, UNC, Georgetown, and UCLA though (Wisky, Ohio State, Florida, and everybody else don't have me sold).

And if your looking for a mid major final 4 team, check out Nevada. They have bigs, guards, depth, experience.....they could do it with the right bracket.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 01:11 AM)
And if your looking for a mid major final 4 team, check out Nevada. They have bigs, guards, depth, experience.....they could do it with the right bracket.

I love them offensively, hate them defensively though. They're a talented team no doubt, but I don't think they defend well enough to make a run through a region, jmo.