Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 04:08 AM)
Haha Jimbo, go ahead and post that whole article. That dude's a f***ing hack. Real, real ignorant to say that the OSU/Wisconsin game wasn't 'good' or 'fun' (however he described it). That ass also took an unneccessary shot at Butch.

The article was a little over the top, but he said the same thing about Tucker that I was criticized for a month or so back. I'll give Tucker credit though....he's playing better this year than he did last year, where he really did nothing productive but score.

You're a Marquette fan....is Dom James going pro?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 04:20 AM)
You're a Marquette fan....is Dom James going pro?

It's a love/hate thing with Dominic. I love him because he's so immensely talented, and if he left, there's nobody on the squad who can come close to filling the hole he'll leave.

But he also does some things -- mainly, shoot too much -- which hurts the team at times. At times he thinks he's a great dribble-and-pull-up three point shooter, when in reality, he's really bad from beyond the ark. Then again, McNeal gets in foul trouble often, and Wes Matthews isn't very assertive -- and I'm sure you know how dismal Marquette's post-men are -- so at times, it's almost a must that he create his own opportunity and try and finish.

But I'm not answering your question with what I posted above. Will he go pro? The general people in this thread could probably tell you as much as I could. I can't see how going pro would be beneficial to him. He wouldn't go in the top 10, and it's a stretch to say he'll go in the top 20. If you're not even being considered a lottery pick (I can't see him being a top 15 player), why would it be beneficial for him to go pro?

It's a tough question to answer, and I'm dancing around giving you a definitive answer. Personally, I know he hurts MU with his shot selection sometimes, but I want him to stay another year. Marquette doesn't lose any seniors of note next year, and nobody else is going to jump early to the draft. Him coming back or going pro is probably the difference between a top 10 team and a top 20 team.

So, I'll tentatively say no, he won't go pro. But in the case that he gets hot as s*** and Marquette makes an Elite 8 run, then I think he's as good as gone, because he'd probably be a big reason why MU is there.

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)
I don't think they will make SIU a #2. The committee still considers them a mid major and would never seed one that high, IMO.

Every year mid-majors get screwed in seeding. Who thought the Salukis would be an #11 last year? That being said if they win the valley tourney they probably get a #3, hopefully they get to play in Chicago and St. Louis.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 11:07 PM)
St. Joseph's would be the last "mid-major" team to get such a high seed, would they not?

All depends on how you define mid major. I'm not going back into that whole thing again but I guess you can make a case for Memphis being a mid major because of their conference and they were a one last season.

Anywho, I'm with Brian, I really can't see us getting a 2, I think the highest we'll be able to get is a 3, which would be awesome as well. Wait and See.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 11:07 PM)
St. Joseph's would be the last "mid-major" team to get such a high seed, would they not?

Gonzaga was a #2 back in 2004, and I consider Memphis a MM and they were a #1 last year.

There have been other instances-Temple was a 2 in 2000, UMASS a 1 in 96. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. There have been a lot of MM's get three's as well.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 11:07 PM)
I just posted the article because for the first time kansas got some love.

though they will lose at OU

People may disagree with the tone, but the article is right on the merits. The Big Ten is a bad, bad conference, and more than 3 teams from it making the NCAA tournament would be a travesty. Really, it's hard to justify more than Wisc and OSU making the dance. And I'll also go along with Kansas being the best team in the country -- I think this is the year Bill Self wins a national championship.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 12:23 AM)
People may disagree with the tone, but the article is right on the merits. The Big Ten is a bad, bad conference, and more than 3 teams from it making the NCAA tournament would be a travesty. Really, it's hard to justify more than Wisc and OSU making the dance. And I'll also go along with Kansas being the best team in the country -- I think this is the year Bill Self wins a national championship.

or the first team to lose to a 16 seed.....KU does this every single year in the month of February.

I'm really not sure what the beef with that article is....any self respecting and realistic Illinois fan will tell you the team is mediocre, and is going to finish 3rd in the league somehow. As for Kansas....they are probably the best team I've seen not named UCLA the last few months (UCLA has been just as impressive in a better league, and has more experience), but I've seen too many great Kansas teams, including a few better than this one, lose in March.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 01:59 AM)
I'm really not sure what the beef with that article is....any self respecting and realistic Illinois fan will tell you the team is mediocre, and is going to finish 3rd in the league somehow. As for Kansas....they are probably the best team I've seen not named UCLA the last few months (UCLA has been just as impressive in a better league, and has more experience), but I've seen too many great Kansas teams, including a few better than this one, lose in March.

so true, that is why March and Me hate each other.

:fight

put me in the camp that doesn't really care whether or not fans rush the court after a game. it makes me laugh that there has to be certain criteria now for a team to be able to rush the court. i picture students at games holding a checklist and checking it as time winds down:

"ok, were we the underdog? check. have we been a historically bad program? check. was the team we beat ranked? check. OK LET'S GO!"

i mean, i understand it happens more often today than it did, but that's just a byproduct of that stuff being on television more often. but to me, if kids want to storm the court they should. it is, in the end, more about the students than about the team or the program. and for those students, this is their time.

it made me laugh when people complained about msu fans rushing the floor because msu has been a great program and won the tournament a few years ago. what the hell does that mean to current msu students who were in high school then?

It’s that time of the year again. As the NCAA tournament grows ever nearer, and teams hop on and off the bubble on a daily basis, tensions in the stands can boil over into the dastardly scourge of Court Storming.

As we all know, storming the field of play can only result in injury, lawlessness, and the heartbreak of chlamydia. Fortunately, the SEC is doing something about it. They have levied stiff punishments against any member school that is unable to control fan behavior, as evidenced by the $25,000 fine incurred by Vanderbilt after pushing and shoving got out of hand in a win over Florida.

Now, I know kids will be kids, and sometimes the pain is worth it. What’s college without chlamydia, I always say. But there should be a few rules in place to help impressionable youngsters assess the proper time and place for court storming.

When:

* If your unranked school beats a top-10 opponent.

* If your lower-division school beats a D1 opponent. (See: Virginia @ Chaminade)

* You beat your most hated rival in overtime, or on a last-second miracle shot.

* Your team breaks a long losing streak vs. a particularly difficult opponent. (See: Kansas State vs. Kansas - still on hold.)

* Your team wins the league tournament in a one-bid conference.

* In the NCAA tournament, only a 16 vs. 1 upset really matters any more. If your school wins in the Regional Final or Final Four, you can storm.

* If your school wins the NCAA Championship. This special win also confers limited looting & pillaging rights.

Not OK:

* Winning the NIT.

* If your school is ranked. Possible exceptions for beating #1.

* Students at Kansas, UCLA, Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina, and Duke should be used to winning. Unless a national championship is in sniffing distance, you will look like assholes storming the court.

* Never, ever storm before the final buzzer sounds.

* If you storm an opponent’s court, odds are you will get hurt.

* A personal milestone for a player or coach is his moment, not yours.

* The Ivy League? I don’t think so.

How:

* Make sure you know which gate will be open. If you try to storm through the wrong one, you risk entering enemy territory and being the target for an entire section of irate opposing fans (yes, I speak from personal experience).

* Don’t try to bust in on your players and coaches. They appreciate your enthusiasm, but you are not welcome in the huddle.

* Do not approach Bobby Knight or Bob Huggins, even if they coach for your school.

* Don’t rub it in the faces of opposing players. They lost, and you didn’t score, dish, or rebound once in the game. If the players can treat each other with respect, the fans owe nothing less. Even to an annoying furriner like Joakim Noah.

* For the love of god, don’t damage your own building. That’s just stupid.

* Don’t overstay your welcome. When things start to wind down, take it to the nearest bar. If the team’s gone, you should be too.

* Enjoy the moment. Storming the court should be rare enough to taste sweet.

Hopefully, these guidelines will keep you from being the next “fat kid in the yellow shirt” or “dude in leather coat who got jacked”. Ideally, you should be “fan who celebrated a big win, hooked up with someone cool later at the bar, and came up clean for chlamydia a week later.”

Good luck, and enjoy the tournaments!

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 06:02 AM)
The Ohio State fans were probably just celebrating the fact they clinched an NIT berth by winning the Big Ten....

I don't know. I think Ohio State needs to win a couple of games in the Big Ten tournament before they're assured of getting an NIT bid.

Edited by hitlesswonder

Sure, I got a good chuckle when the Buckeyes fans were storming the court, when they already are #1. It should go without saying to act like youve won something important before, it also goes without saying that Buckeye basketball doesnt get too see too much of this. In the past 10-15 years, the Big X has been dominated by the likes of MSU and Indiana, with other schools such as Wisconsin and Illinois peaking their heads in to steal a title here and there. Sure, there has been a lot of hype surrounding this Ohio State team dating back to pre-season rankings, but I can't imagine being a fan of Ohio State basketball is really intense experience like some other "elite" programs look at how to celebrate and support their team. Just liek much of the rest of the Big X, Ohio State is a football school first and formost.... and when their basketball team does well, it seems like "out of the ordinary" and gives reason to cherish the moment at a higher level (because who knows when this might happen again approach) Jim Jackson's and Michael Redd's dont grow on trees down in Columbus. So it still may not be right that they "storm", but in someways at least it is understandable.

Jimbo, please tell me I am havnig trouble reading your post saying that KU will go down in Norman tonight?? I don't know, these arent your Grandpapi Sampson's Sooners anymore. Dont let the late season paranoia set in....we are a non-stop freight train right now. We almost doubled the spread on Saturday night, and we were favored by 20+

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 07:23 AM)
Sure, I got a good chuckle when the Buckeyes fans were storming the court, when they already are #1. It should go without saying to act like youve won something important before, it also goes without saying that Buckeye basketball doesnt get too see too much of this. In the past 10-15 years, the Big X has been dominated by the likes of MSU and Indiana, with other schools such as Wisconsin and Illinois peaking their heads in to steal a title here and there. Sure, there has been a lot of hype surrounding this Ohio State team dating back to pre-season rankings, but I can't imagine being a fan of Ohio State basketball is really intense experience like some other "elite" programs look at how to celebrate and support their team. Just liek much of the rest of the Big X, Ohio State is a football school first and formost.... and when their basketball team does well, it seems like "out of the ordinary" and gives reason to cherish the moment at a higher level (because who knows when this might happen again approach) Jim Jackson's and Michael Redd's dont grow on trees down in Columbus. So it still may not be right that they "storm", but in someways at least it is understandable.

Jimbo, please tell me I am havnig trouble reading your post saying that KU will go down in Norman tonight?? I don't know, these arent your Grandpapi Sampson's Sooners anymore. Dont let the late season paranoia set in....we are a non-stop freight train right now. We almost doubled the spread on Saturday night, and we were favored by 20+

Late season, senior night and Michael Neal scare me. Plus coach sampson will be in attendance, dont know how that will affect the team.

I hope we kill them and keep thie Sherron and DA train moving TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOt

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 01:23 PM)

i think in general you are selling ohio state's program pretty short. outside of a season or two they've been consistently good for the past 10 years. maybe not as good as they are now, but pretty strong nonetheless.

but i do agree with your general point. basketball is second here and for the most part fans aren't really into it. this is one reason i think matta would leave if a job like kentucky came open.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 01:59 AM)

UCLA has been pretty damn impressive, just don't get the hype the UNC's and Ohio St's of the world get. They will probably get to play in Sacramento and San Jose and have four home games, just like last year.

And I had no problems with Ohio St. storming the court when they just won the big ten.

Just out of curiosity, whens the last time the Illini fans stormed the court?

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 07:30 AM)
i think in general you are selling ohio state's program pretty short. outside of a season or two they've been consistently good for the past 10 years. maybe not as good as they are now, but pretty strong nonetheless.

but i do agree with your general point. basketball is second here and for the most part fans aren't really into it. this is one reason i think matta would leave if a job like kentucky came open.

Sure, theyve had decent teams in the Big X, and in no way am I trying to compare their basketball program to the likes of Penn State or Northwestern. But unlike football, they are not in the top 3 of the Big X basketball picture every year. For instance, if Buckeye football finished 6th in the Big Ten behind Iowa, heads would roll and changes would probably be demanded. Why did Cooper lose his job???

On the other hand, if Ohhio State basketball finished 5th-6th in the league, but still made the tournament and almost made the Sweet 16, would anyone in Columbus be upset outside of this year?? Probably not, its kinda of looked at overachieving and putting forth a "good" effort.

Kentucky will win 20 games this year, finish 3rd in the SEC, will get a decent 6-8 seed, and you will not find one Wildcat fan that doesnt want Tubby Smith's head served on a platter....even if they do crack the Sweet 16.

So history (recent or not) does have some say on how a fanbase reacts and supports towards their team's accomplishments and failures.