Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 07:30 AM)

but i do agree with your general point. basketball is second here and for the most part fans aren't really into it. this is one reason i think matta would leave if a job like kentucky came open.

Also just out of curiosity, is this a heated topic in Columbus?? I find the rumor interesting, and don't feel bad...there are plenty of coaches that would drop everything on a dime to head for Kentucky. Youre talking about a program with more wins than any other school in history. Its one out of a handful of meccas that clearly seperate themselves from the rest.

In my opinion, Tubby isn't going anywhere. Beating Louisville is nowhere close to being enough for the Big Blue faithful. Nor should it be, but Tubby is a fine coach.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 07:42 AM)
UCLA has been pretty damn impressive, just don't get the hype the UNC's and Ohio St's of the world get. They will probably get to play in Sacramento and San Jose and have four home games, just like last year.

And I had no problems with Ohio St. storming the court when they just won the big ten.

Just out of curiosity, whens the last time the Illini fans stormed the court?

The last one I can remember is when they beat Ohio State (Michael Redd and the like) in like 2001 or 2002 on a 25 footer at the horn by Frank Williams.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 01:51 PM)
Also just out of curiosity, is this a heated topic in Columbus?? I find the rumor interesting, and don't feel bad...there are plenty of coaches that would drop everything on a dime to head for Kentucky. Youre talking about a program with more wins than any other school in history. Its one out of a handful of meccas that clearly seperate themselves from the rest.

In my opinion, Tubby isn't going anywhere. Beating Louisville is nowhere close to being enough for the Big Blue faithful. Nor should it be, but Tubby is a fine coach.

it depends. as you noted there isn't a lot of "buzz" about this team, even now. most discussion doesn't get much past "how far will we go" or "will oden stay."

but the topic has been broached repeatedly by kirk herbstreit on his radio show out here. herbstreit has been critical of osu basketball fans for a long, long time for their lack of passion for the sport. if you go to a game at the schott, it's like a morgue unless it is a really, really big game.

herbstreit has speculated that eventually this lack of passion and basketball's second-class status would cause matta to leave if he were offered a "marquee" job. i only mention kentucky because that was the only one of those jobs i could see opening soon. but, only matta really knows that and right now he's spouting the party line.

imo, he would leave if a major job outside of the big ten opened. people aren't really excited about basketball here now, and if they aren't excited now they are never going to be.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 07:23 AM)
Sure, I got a good chuckle when the Buckeyes fans were storming the court, when they already are #1. It should go without saying to act like youve won something important before, it also goes without saying that Buckeye basketball doesnt get too see too much of this. In the past 10-15 years, the Big X has been dominated by the likes of MSU and Indiana, with other schools such as Wisconsin and Illinois peaking their heads in to steal a title here and there. Sure, there has been a lot of hype surrounding this Ohio State team dating back to pre-season rankings, but I can't imagine being a fan of Ohio State basketball is really intense experience like some other "elite" programs look at how to celebrate and support their team. Just liek much of the rest of the Big X, Ohio State is a football school first and formost.... and when their basketball team does well, it seems like "out of the ordinary" and gives reason to cherish the moment at a higher level (because who knows when this might happen again approach) Jim Jackson's and Michael Redd's dont grow on trees down in Columbus. So it still may not be right that they "storm", but in someways at least it is understandable.

You DO know that today was the first time they were ranked #1 since 1962, and they were #2 going into the game vs Wisco, and they did just win back to back reg season championships. Thats pretty much the reason that anyone stormed, like you said they dont see much of this.

Like you said its mostly a football schools, but there is a pretty large basketball following as OSU especially since Matta brought the program back out of complete shame. There is alot of excitement in Columbus over this and the women's team.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 01:59 PM)
You DO know that today was the first time they were ranked #1 since 1962, and they were #2 going into the game vs Wisco, and they did just win back to back reg season championships. Thats pretty much the reason that anyone stormed, like you said they dont see much of this.

Like you said its mostly a football schools, but there is a pretty large basketball following as OSU especially since Matta brought the program back out of complete shame. There is alot of excitement in Columbus over this and the women's team.

i don't know rock, i just don't know if i totally agree that. i work on campus, and it is not even close to the same as football. it's obviously a totally different thing, but i just don't feel that "buzz." maybe it's just me.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 08:06 AM)
i don't know rock, i just don't know if i totally agree that. i work on campus, and it is not even close to the same as football. it's obviously a totally different thing, but i just don't feel that "buzz." maybe it's just me.

Im not there so I wouldnt know, I only hear from my relatives who are there. But I was not saying its the same as football, OSU is clearly a football school, and football is far and away more popular in the US anyway.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 02:46 PM)
Im not there so I wouldnt know, I only hear from my relatives who are there. But I was not saying its the same as football, OSU is clearly a football school, and football is far and away more popular in the US anyway.

it's a bit difficult to explain, i guess. there is some excitement here, but it's just not as widespread. people are happy, but more because they support the university than they really understand what's going on. i'd say you are as likely to hear a random sports fan b****ing about the blue jackets as you are to hear them pumping up ohio state basketball.

i judge a lot by listening to callers on sports radio. usually the more critical they are, the more passionate they are. on the monday after ohio state beat michigan you can still hear people calling in and criticizing tressel. that's just the nature of things with football here. with basketball, it's more, "yeah, we won, go bucks. thirty-seven days until the spring game."

Edited by thedoctor

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 08:46 AM)

Football may in fact be a more popular overall sport, but when it comes to March Madness and great college hoops games its a completely different story. I don't no one person that's gonna get more jacked up to watch the Motor City Bowl over Sweet 16 weekend.....even if their school is in that particular bowl game. College hoops ratings blow away College football as far as championships are concerned.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 08:52 AM)
it's a bit difficult to explain, i guess. there is some excitement here, but it's just not as widespread. people are happy, but more because they support the university than they really understand what's going on. i'd say you are as likely to hear a random sports fan b****ing about the blue jackets as you are to hear them pumping up ohio state basketball.

i judge a lot by listening to callers on sports radio. usually the more critical they are, the more passionate they are. on the monday after ohio state beat michigan you can still hear people calling in and criticizing tressel. that's just the nature of things with football here. with basketball, it's more, "yeah, we won, go bucks."

Well the OSU football team is by far the most popular sports team in Ohio, so its going to be hard to contend.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 02:54 PM)
Well the OSU football team is by far the most popular sports team in Ohio, so its going to be hard to contend.

true, and it won't change. i have never seen one sports team as engrained in the local culture as ohio state football is here. that's why i think it could be difficult to keep matta around.

Rough game yesterday, congrats to OSU for winning it in the end.

The hardest thing to take is that wisconsin had 2 chances to win it in the last 30 seconds and could not do it. Kam Taylor missed the 1 and 1 which could have put it at 3 and made it so the worst that could happen is OT. Then after the conley layup, they call timeout only to watch as the inbound play goes to Bohannon who hits a 3.

The refs were all over the place, I think after Butch went down the game really changed over all. Wisconsin lost its big man advantage and just really could not find their normal offense. The best thing to come out of it was the play of the 2 freshman guards in Bohannon and Hughes. Taylor and Flowers were nonexistant for a good part of the game and if it wasnt for the play of the young guys Wisconsin most likely gets blown out of the place.

Its nice to see 4/5 in the polls and still a chance at a 1 seed even after losing 2 games. At this point the biggest question is whether or not Butch will be back for the NCAA tournament (who cares about BTT, might as well give some different guys time to play in pressure situations.)

Played bad but some how stayed in the game against one of the best in the nation so you have to take it. Both teams play really tough defense (especially OSU with oden in the middle) so the score is going to be really low.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 02:51 AM)
Georgetown looks like they're going to lose to Syracuse, the Hoyas can't crack the zone, and Andy Routins has hit 4 3's off the bench...

Routins hasn't missed in like a month, he's on a crazy hot streak right now.

You'll never guess what the fans did after the game.

Anyone hear Lawrence Holmes interview SIU HC Chris Lowery tonite? Good interview, Lowery said to ask Weber for a game at the United Center last year. Talked about the patience he has had with Shaw and Falker and how great Tatum and Young have been this year as senior leaders.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 10:48 PM)
So Championship Week begins tommorrow including the Horizon League getting under way. I'm going with a Loyola-Wright State final.

Wright State is a virtual lock to get to the finals. I'll still take Butler over Loyola, though I certainly wont be surprised if Loyola pulls it out. I'm so excited that conference tourny's are here. :headbang

Heads, Self is going nowhere, it was a rumor started by an arkansas web site. Though if he loses in the first round again, he can leave.

Just as I predicted a close game against a team playing on senior night with Kelvin Sampson in the crowd. OU played the old thug ball, which is fine. A close game and a win is a great remedy, need a few close ones on the road to glory.

Why the hell would he go down the coaching ladder and go to Arkansas. KU is about as good a job as your can get.

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 11:08 PM)
Heads, Self is going nowhere, it was a rumor started by an arkansas web site. Though if he loses in the first round again, he can leave.

Just as I predicted a close game against a team playing on senior night with Kelvin Sampson in the crowd. OU played the old thug ball, which is fine. A close game and a win is a great remedy, need a few close ones on the road to glory.

Why the hell would he go down the coaching ladder and go to Arkansas. KU is about as good a job as your can get.

The only way I could see Self leaving voluntarily for Arkansas is if they offered him just an absurd amount of money. Even then I would be really surprised.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 11:48 PM)
The only way I could see Self leaving voluntarily for Arkansas is if they offered him just an absurd amount of money. Even then I would be really surprised.

Self just signed a 5 year deal, and this rumor was started by an Arkansas message board. They were simply listing coaches they would want. Phog.net has been laughing at Arkansas for a few days since this started.