Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 08:14 PM)
I understand, his mom wants his to graduate with a degree. Julian Wright is going to stay his 3rd year, which he already announced. he is going to work on his shooting skills so he can play the 3 in the pros.

i hope he does stay. it's good for college basketball for its best players to say.

as for whether or not he does stay, i'd guess that hinges more on how the season pans out than anything else. if kansas goes to the final four or wins an nc, i'd have a hard time seeing any of these guys staying despite what they're saying now. i think that will be the case with a lot of the top prospects who are playing for teams with national title hopes.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 02:23 PM)
i hope he does stay. it's good for college basketball for its best players to say.

as for whether or not he does stay, i'd guess that hinges more on how the season pans out than anything else. if kansas goes to the final four or wins an nc, i'd have a hard time seeing any of these guys staying despite what they're saying now. i think that will be the case with a lot of the top prospects who are playing for teams with national title hopes.

If Kansas wins a national championship, they can all leave for all i care. haha

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)
Cmon make me a mod in the bracket banter...no one loves banter more than i do......mostly negative but oh well.

.......this just in

50 Soxtalk members recently banned for insinuating that Kansas "isnt as great as the Bulls Dynasty", Jimbo's Drinker warns "If you mess with me, you get the business end of my hammer".

end transmission

Interesting thoughts on JuJu Wright from Bill Simmons..... he seems to think he'd go as the 4th pick this year in the draft. Still don't see how everyone thinks Noah is a can't miss NBA player. He sucks and had a good run last year. period.

During the Kansas-Oklahoma game, Julian Wright submitted the single best half I've seen from a college player this year -- the first half, when Kansas rolled to a 33-19 lead on the road because Wright was destroying the Sooners in every possible way. If you haven't seen him yet, he's a 6'8" forward who plays the way we always wanted Tim Thomas and Billy Owens to play -- in other words, he's a truly gifted passer, breaks a sweat on defense, makes 18-footers, crashes the boards, busts his butt filling the wing on fastbreaks and actually seems to give a crap.

His passing separates him from everyone else -- during one play last night, he was isolated on the right side, waved one of his post players (I forget which one) over to the same side, then threw him a perfect entry bounce pass that enabled the guy to immediately spin around for an easy layup. I'm putting this sentence in caps to emphasize the significance here: COLLEGE PLAYERS DO NOT NORMALLY MAKE PLAYS LIKE THIS. Assuming he enters the NBA next season (nobody knows if he's coming out), he'd join Boris Diaw, LeBron and Tim Duncan as one of the best passing forwards in the league. He has a real chance to become a significant pro. Anyway, if the Celtics finish last and guarantee themselves a top-four pick, obviously it would be catastrophic to lose out on Oden or Durant … but Joakim Noah and Julian Wright are clearly 3A and 3B in this draft, which means the Celtics would be getting a blue-chipper at any of the top four spots. Small consolation, but still.

(As for Brandan Wright, he bricked the game-tying free throws at Maryland in the final three seconds and looked terrified the entire time … these are the things I will remember when I'm ranking my top 10 draft prospects in four months. And yes, I have him ranked a distant fifth right now behind Durant, Oden, Noah and Wright.)

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 09:28 PM)
Interesting thoughts on JuJu Wright from Bill Simmons..... he seems to think he'd go as the 4th pick this year in the draft. Still don't see how everyone thinks Noah is a can't miss NBA player. He sucks and had a good run last year. period.

During the Kansas-Oklahoma game, Julian Wright submitted the single best half I've seen from a college player this year -- the first half, when Kansas rolled to a 33-19 lead on the road because Wright was destroying the Sooners in every possible way. If you haven't seen him yet, he's a 6'8" forward who plays the way we always wanted Tim Thomas and Billy Owens to play -- in other words, he's a truly gifted passer, breaks a sweat on defense, makes 18-footers, crashes the boards, busts his butt filling the wing on fastbreaks and actually seems to give a crap.

His passing separates him from everyone else -- during one play last night, he was isolated on the right side, waved one of his post players (I forget which one) over to the same side, then threw him a perfect entry bounce pass that enabled the guy to immediately spin around for an easy layup. I'm putting this sentence in caps to emphasize the significance here: COLLEGE PLAYERS DO NOT NORMALLY MAKE PLAYS LIKE THIS. Assuming he enters the NBA next season (nobody knows if he's coming out), he'd join Boris Diaw, LeBron and Tim Duncan as one of the best passing forwards in the league. He has a real chance to become a significant pro. Anyway, if the Celtics finish last and guarantee themselves a top-four pick, obviously it would be catastrophic to lose out on Oden or Durant … but Joakim Noah and Julian Wright are clearly 3A and 3B in this draft, which means the Celtics would be getting a blue-chipper at any of the top four spots. Small consolation, but still.

(As for Brandan Wright, he bricked the game-tying free throws at Maryland in the final three seconds and looked terrified the entire time … these are the things I will remember when I'm ranking my top 10 draft prospects in four months. And yes, I have him ranked a distant fifth right now behind Durant, Oden, Noah and Wright.)

this year's draft is going to be ridiculous.

the knicks need to start losing.

After reading this thread lately I can't understand why all the rest of the teams in college basketball don't just give up and crown Kansas as G.O.A.T.

Heck, Julian Wright and his 2.2 apg apparently have him already on a level with Lebron, Tim Duncan, and Boris Diaw as passers. While Sherron Collins gaudy numbers of 9.7ppg, 2.8apg, and 2.2 rpg have him as the best PG in the nation. Can't even imagine where Brandon Rush's 13.7 ppg put him on the NBA level, MJ-esque(35ppg?)?

Darrell Arthur averages 10.6ppg in only 19.6 mpg. Heck in the NBA next year when he's playing against inferior competition compared to his Kansas practices, he will obviously be putting up over 22 ppg while not even needing 40 minutes of playing time.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)
Watchtower, did you see Julian against Mizzou, that was impressive a wee bit more. Julian is a freak of nature, but he will be back.

I didnt see that whole game, I think that was the day I was down in Lexington for the KY/Florida game....but anyone that watches the Jayhawks on a normal basis knows just how special Julian is. He makes Wayne Simien look like a walk-on.

It just came to me if and when Julian comes back, and everyone else for that matter....

the 08 DRAFT = ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 01:49 PM)
Ok, ill take your grain of salt....Wright is staying the kid actually values an education as well.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but we always here this kind of talk before the season ends. Wouldn't suprise me if he stayed, wouldn't suprise me if he left.

Edited by WhiteSoxfan1986

alright college basketball fans, which one of these teams deserves to be in the tourney more

Team A

22-7

1-0 against top 25 RPI, 3-2 against top 50, 7-5 against top 100

13 road wins

wins at Syracuse, Nova, and Creighton

team B

21-9

2-6 vs. top 25 RPI, 3-8 vs. top 50, 6-9 vs. top 100

three road wins

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 11:42 PM)
alright college basketball fans, which one of these teams deserves to be in the tourney more

Team A

22-7

13 road wins

team B

21-9

three road wins

Terrible way to compare resumes, but team B

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 05:42 PM)

Team A

22-7

13 road wins

team B

21-9

three road wins

Team B. Much tougher schedule led to more losses, and (as a personal note) I'd rather see a team play the tough teams and lose than see a team avoid them all together.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 05:42 PM)

Team A

22-7

13 road wins

team B

21-9

three road wins

RPI? SOS? Bad Losses? Conference?

I know who both teams are, so don't actually give me that info, but any resume without some of those components is very flawed.